Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "What does breaking the 180 mean?" or: how to get DQ'ed from a handgun match  (Read 197 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Thought this might be useful for new shooters or those who haven't shot in this type of "practical" competition before. My son and I shot a local match last weekend and it was his first.

We had drilled the range commands previously, and practiced shooting and moving to different positions safely, and emphasized finger well outside the trigger guard and muzzle well downrange during movement.

The first two stages he shot well and moved safely and carefully, but on the third there was a bit of a challenge with the 180 due to a barrier on the left and a required position forward of the position to the left and rearward of the barrier.

As he moved back/left, he kept both hands on his pistol and the muzzle moved past the 180-degree line that is generally considered safe (unless the stage briefing specifically dictates otherwise and there are markers to indicate muzzle safe points).

The SO was behind him and didn't see the violation, but I did, and since it was something we'd specifically gone over during the walkthrough (and because he did indeed break the 180), I chose to have him DQed for the match. He took it well, and I hope he learned.

It's difficult to understand what it's like when the beeper/timer goes off in a match unless you've done it. Your IQ drops by 50 points when the adrenaline hits.

Anyway, here's a video for any interested.

https://youtu.be/P8tMjYJZBW8
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
I've never shot in a competition or even attempted any "practical" stuff so color me totally ignorant. I watched the video and don't understand where the 180 line you're talking about is. Parallel to orange barrier he was moving along?
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Good question. The 180 is almost always a "moving" 180, which is parallel to your position as you move forward and back within the shooting bay. So from your position, straight out to your sides. So you generally can move your muzzle and shoot any targets that are within that 180 degree arc in front of you and to your sides, but not AT ALL behind you. so the 180 degrees behind you are verboten. The 180 is relative to the bay, not to your face. In other words, it can slide forward and back within the bay as your position changes, but as you rotate the gun left and right, the 180 doesn't rotate. Does that make sense?

As right handed shooters move to their left, particularly when reloading, they have a tendency to bring their muzzle back past that 180. Rifle shooters running with both hands on the gun often bump up against and past the 180 and get DQed.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Yup.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Good call Jeff, and good lesson to the youngun (<-- see what i did there?) that breaking the rules doesn't mean just not getting caught by the man. If he learned from it, it was way better now than later.

LT
Great googly-moogly!