Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tiger question  (Read 360 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Tiger question
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »
Where do you think this would fall into the mix regarding a Versys 650 / Vstrom 650 comparison.  Price looks good.  Too good?  Is this something that would be comfortable in 50/50 tires doing a long gravel drive and a couple miles of rutted gravel every day?  I know it's open to much interpretation but I don't know anything about this bike.  I see the spoke wheels and think maybe.

What say you?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/d/arlington-2013-triumph-tiger-800xc/7146595261.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: Tiger question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
I believe that the bike is considered to be pretty worthy as a dirt road/back road adventure bike (nothing too gnarly). I took one out for a mixed surface demo ride and thought it was a good bike.

The only issue I recall from when I was looking at them had something to do with dirt getting to the stepper motor linkage and gumming it up causing starting or stalling issues. It's buried in there by the throttle bodies so not super easy to clean/etc. I think that Triumph did something to address the issue but I can't remember what year. If you ride lots of dirt/gravel/dust then it's more of an issue than most/all pavement riding.

Do a search for Tiger 800 Stepper Motor and you'll find lots of info on it, as well as the option for installing a manual idle adjustment instead.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:05:27 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
I ride some of the  COBDR with a guy who was riding one, seemed to work fantastic.  Possibly even better than my 1190??
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »
Think this might be a better choice for you than a Wee in my uninformed opinion.   I never test rode a Tiger. 

The Tiger offers a little more grunt. Although you might not miss it coming from Kermit, in the long run, it Will make an experienced rider like yourself smile a little more often.  I frequently had my Wee WOT on corner exits, and believe me, that little engine loves being 7 to 9 k rpm.  It can feel a little anemic. 

When I sat on the Tiger, it was very comfortable, but felt a tad more top heavy than the Wee.  Sometimes I thought I should have bought a Tiger instead, but I was never unhappy with my Wee.  I don’t know how either compares to the Versys.   

I don’t see a bad choice in any of the 3.  Good Luck.   You deserve it.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »
Of the three, the tiger is supposed to be the most dirt worthy especially the XC version you have listed there. Plus with the black on black on black paint job, you will fit in perfectly at the office. As Frank said, you cant go wrong with either one. Good luck with the search.

Offline leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 11:01:11 PM »
I rented a nearly new 2013 Tiger 800 XC for three days on the Isle of Man.   I rode several laps of the Mountain Course with some pretty high speeds up on the mountain, lots of general backroad miles from one end of the island to the other, and also some broken pavement and easy gravel.   I liked everything about it except the cable actuated clutch.  (Slight disclaimer:  Every bike I own has a very good hydraulic clutch so I am somewhat spoiled in that regard.)  The motor was great and pulled very strongly at any speed.   It is a fairly tall bike and seat, however at 6'-3" it wasn't an issue for me.  It fit me well seated or standing.   I don't know anything specific about reliability or maintenance cost on the bike so I can't help you there.   

IMO it is almost in a different class of bike than the other two in your list in terms of performance because of the engine configuration and displacement.   I am a big fan of the Wee Strom however it doesn't have the power of the Triumph and based on my somewhat dated impressions on both bikes the suspension on the Wee isn't as good.   I don't have any experience riding the Versys.  As I am sure you know, both the Suzuki and the Kawasaki have great reputations on reliability.