Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Air in kitchen sink drain...  (Read 257 times)

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Air in kitchen sink drain...
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »
Okay, we put in a new sink.  One basin sits higher than the other.  I don’t care for the drains...they seem more restricted than the prior sink.  That said, if one basin is closed to hold water and the other needs to drain, it does so slowly.  The vortex that lets water and air exchange doesn’t form readily if the strainer is in place but set to allow water to drain (screw type goes in the hole where the vortex would form).  We’ve found if we loosen the plug/strainer in the other basin, it lets the air “burp” out and the other sink begins to drain more effectively.  Is there a way to correct this issue?  Perhaps a waterproof tap that lets out air trapped in the drain pipe but not water?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Re: Air in kitchen sink drain...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »
Was the installation done by a registered plumber?  If so, call and complain.

If not, call a knowledgeable plumber.  I’m not one, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn before COVID struck.   Sounds like it might be a siphon break problem.  Do both drain lines come together before the siphon break?  Is there a long waste run that is almost flat before the siphon break?  Could be as simple as needing larger diameter waste line.  A drawing of the waste lines might help someone figure it out.

Best I can do.  My hourly rates are not high enough to qualify me as a plumber.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
Install was in place before sink changed.  Old sink had equal depth basins.  I don't recall the old sink having this issue, but again, the drain/strainers are different which may be part of the issue.  Basically, when one sink is closed because it's full of water, the other one has no practical way for air to exchange out of the drain pipe as water tries to flow down.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »
The house has its own vent pipe that goes out the roof. The one basin shouldn't be relying on air from the other basin to drain. Think about a single basin sink, where does it get it's air from? The vent pipe that goes out the roof. Possibility it is plugged by birds nest or other obstruction. Did anything get lodged in the drain pipe when the sink was changed?

Online jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 01:09:19 PM »
The house has its own vent pipe that goes out the roof. The one basin shouldn't be relying on air from the other basin to drain. Think about a single basin sink, where does it get it's air from? The vent pipe that goes out the roof. Possibility it is plugged by birds nest or other obstruction. Did anything get lodged in the drain pipe when the sink was changed?

I'd bank on a blocked vent as well.

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »
It's not the house vent.  Both sinks drain through a common elbow.  So, when one sink is closed, the air in the pipe before the elbow has only the remaining sink through which to vent.  The way the drain is designed, if you leave the screen in place, it has damn little space for water/air to exchange.  Burping (opening the other sink to let the air pressure out) gets it working again.  To me, it's a sucky design for a sink drain.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
it's the screen, my basement vanity does the same thing. drilled the holes in the screen bigger and it works much better. IT has a copper bowl and no overflow hole so I think that causes the same air problem you are explaining.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 10:25:03 AM »
Our last remodel mandated vent holes in the bathroom sinks. I had learned from a project Mom did where the basins didn't have vent holes in the bowl (design). Slow slow slow draining.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
It's not the house vent.  Both sinks drain through a common elbow.  So, when one sink is closed, the air in the pipe before the elbow has only the remaining sink through which to vent.  The way the drain is designed, if you leave the screen in place, it has damn little space for water/air to exchange.  Burping (opening the other sink to let the air pressure out) gets it working again.  To me, it's a sucky design for a sink drain.

Yep, same thing here. It's a sucky design.
Ride safe!