Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Learning to Ride  (Read 161 times)

canduc and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Learning to Ride
« on: June 30, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
I learned to ride (slowly and at a late age) a long time ago. Then I met Dan because he wanted to learn to ride. And now I have a friend who wants to get her license and first bike. This last one is quite interesting, as she has to navigate the difficult Swiss process of getting her endorsement.

Unfortunately for her I am not much help, as I was able to just transfer my US license direct to a Swiss one (and they even gave me the authority to pull a trailer - the fools!) But here there are restrictions, including not just the cc of a motorcycle, but also the kW. And the theory tests, and the required 8 hours of personal lessons, and the mandatory first aid course, and then the actual test - where the tester rides pillion on your bike while you navigate the city's streets  ???

She is also working on a shoestring budget, so finding "the bike" for her might be fun, to put it one way. I do have lots of spare gear, so I can at least get her outfitted for safety.

Anyway, there's not really much point to this post other than so say that I am really glad that I didn't have to go through the Swiss process   8)

www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
Re: Learning to Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
I heard that the Germans are tough also and it costs a lot of money.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »
It should be much more difficult here as well. Far too easy.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
When I was working in the Netherlands I helped a couple of friends with their license training and qualifications.    Seems like it took 2 or 3 years to go through all the training, formal schools, tests, and graduated licenses before they were able to ride what we would call a full-sized bike.   The NL also had the requirements with the instructor/tester riding pillion (which I always felt was a bit extreme for smaller riders).    Good luck to your friend.   It is a challenging process, although it certainly graduates more capable and aware riders than the U.S. process of "Ride your friend's bike through those five cones and then go get your picture taken."

Offline Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
Learning to Ride
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
I’m always excited to hear about someone who wants to learn to ride and get a bike.  What a fabulous adventure they are about to embark on.  :banana:

It’s key that your Swiss friend has you to gear her up and encourage her.    :bigok:
Putting Ducati back into education.

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 05:47:15 AM »
I think the UK process is a bit grinding, and I've heard horror stories about the Japanese testing, at least for open class bikes.  It would be interesting to hear of requirements in more anglicized countries such as Australia.

If the requirements were considerably greater here, I wonder if we would have a lot fewer motorcycles on the road, or if we would have more and maybe better smaller bikes. Or if we would many many more off-road bikes. 

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:34 AM »
DD, I always thought you were a wonderful ambassador for our sport.
(I was right.)

A big test for you both, please keep us posted with the progress.

It should be much more difficult here as well. Far too easy.
This ^^^

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:18:35 AM »
I might have just found a bike for her  8)

I put out an APB on the Swiss motorcyclists FB page, asking if anyone had a lead on a beginner's bike. Just got a message from someone on there with a CAGIVA RAPTOR 650. I know nothing about this bike, but he's selling it cheap. He's also a very skilled mechanic, so I have no qualms about her buying it WRT mechanical soundness.

Let the games continue!  :popcorn:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:03:40 AM »
I might have just found a bike for her  8)

I put out an APB on the Swiss motorcyclists FB page, asking if anyone had a lead on a beginner's bike. Just got a message from someone on there with a CAGIVA RAPTOR 650. I know nothing about this bike, but he's selling it cheap. He's also a very skilled mechanic, so I have no qualms about her buying it WRT mechanical soundness.

Let the games continue!  :popcorn:

Saw a few of those in NL.   Seemed like nice bikes.   I can't comment on build quality.  I think they have the Suzuki SV650 engine so that part should be stone reliable.  However, it is also a pretty strong motor so I suspect it would put the bike in the Category A Unlimited license tier.   

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:20:14 AM »
DD, I always thought you were a wonderful ambassador for our sport.

:thumbsup:
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:08:23 PM »
It's great that you're helping her! 

Those Swiss exam testers must be a brave bunch if they're riding pillion on a noob's test ride!   :o
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams