Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NC 700 X ???  (Read 198 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
NC 700 X ???
« on: June 30, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
The more I commute, the more I realize the XT is not a great commuter bike.  Gas mileage is wonderful but I'm hard pressed to get out of the way of traffic and higher speeds are just not sustainable which much of my ride is.  If there is a truck anywhere near me, it actually gets a little dicey and I'm not particularly easy to spook on a bike. 

So I'm toying with the idea of selling Kermit and the XT and just picking up a commuter bike until I can get something more long term desirable.  My driveway and the route I like to take to work mean I need something with a touch of offroad capability just because it's every day.  I've had this bike on my radar for a long time and now it keeps popping up as a viable option that's pretty low cost.  There are quite a couple of them around and some of them are even cheapish.  Like sub 4K kinda affordable. 

I realize it's going to be hurting for power but, really, I'm coming off a 19HP dualsport so I can probably deal with it.  Low seat height, some decent travel, wears a nice 50/50 tire well, and has that cool frunk thing that I could really use having to deal with gates and badging and temp checks and such.  Other than the obvious, what's wrong with it? 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
Re: NC 700 X ???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
It looks promising.  It probably isn't too low on power if you ride somewhat close to the speed limits--I ride a 400 and find that I can out accelerate anything I need to get ahead of with either a roll on or a downshift.  And Honda's have a reputation for indestructability.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
A friend of mine had one until recently. He said the bike could be a good commuter if you replace the OEM seat, it was a torture after 45 minutes. This bike in the pic seems to have a third party seat.
By design, it's a hybrid between a real bike and a scooter, the fuel tank is under the saddle and requires raising the seat to fill up. Not good if you carry bags behind you. But you do get a good storage space where a regular bike's tank would be.
The frame is kind of flexible, making it a not so good twisties bike but still a competent commuter.
Ride safe!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »
My sister in law just bought a CTX700 - same engine, a bit more commuter-ish (small fairing).
She 'outgrew' her Virgo 250 and VStar 650.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:29 PM »
I could go have a look at it for you since I'm local to that particular bike.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
I’ve been emailing Gerry about a trade deal. I’m going to send him some pics of the XT and Kermit but I don’t think it’s worth getting excited about. Not sure I want to give up 2 bikes and still have to pay a grand or more on top of that. It’s nice and kind of exactly what my world needs now but I need to find a zero dollar way to make it happen. Maybe I will put them on cl and fb and see if I can clear enuf to get one like it.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 06:55:23 AM »
Hmmm.  Still vacillating between several but this one really has my interest piqued.  I didn't realize they'd done a body style update in 16 before going to the 750.  I kinda like this.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login