Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coloradans: what’s the COVID rules situation like as far as tourism?  (Read 512 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Considering a ride the week after Independence Day. Are restaurants and lodging open? Masks required everywhere? Mesa verde open? Any gotchas in the telluride/Durango/ouray area?
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
I don’t know the answer to that question but I will say what I always say...  if you get a chance, go to Silverton and rent some off road vehicle and get up on some of the passes. You could do engineer, California, corkscrew cinnamon, or some combination of the above and see more of the Rockies than many people who live there ever will. It’s pretty amazing. That is all.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
I don’t know the answer to that question but I will say what I always say...  if you get a chance, go to Silverton and rent some off road vehicle and get up on some of the passes. You could do engineer, California, corkscrew cinnamon, or some combination of the above and see more of the Rockies than many people who live there ever will. It’s pretty amazing. That is all.

Yup, the passes are pretty epic. But note that some of those roads are steep, rocky, (narrow) shelf roads with tight switchbacks. You see lots of very off-road SxS up there. I'm sure any rental company would provide guidance on difficulty ratings.

I found some of it kinda sketchy on a dirt bike, mostly the fear of dealing with rock gardens on shelf roads. I hate rocks. Those would be bad places to sail off the edge. The tamer roads could be done in a Subaru with some care. We stayed in Ouray. I thought it was a pretty cool town.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Yup, the passes are pretty epic. But note that some of those roads are steep, rocky, (narrow) shelf roads with tight switchbacks. You see lots of very off-road SxS up there. I'm sure any rental company would provide guidance on difficulty ratings.

I found some of it kinda sketchy on a dirt bike, mostly the fear of dealing with rock gardens on shelf roads. I hate rocks. Those would be bad places to sail off the edge. The tamer roads could be done in a Subaru with some care. We stayed in Ouray. I thought it was a pretty cool town.

I'm pretty sure the ones I mentioned, with the possible exception of 2 very minor spots on Engineer, are all pretty tame and they're accessible from the road (2?) that goes north out of Silverton without having to trailer anything.  Notice I didn't suggest Black Bear or even Ophir for the very reasons you suggested.  Even if a quad or sxs or bike isn't desirable for vacation purposes, a half day in a jeep would get you over all those passes without much pucker factor.  We stayed at the state park in Ridgeway just north of Ouray. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Fantastic riding around Ouray. my wife and I statyed there and did most of the passes (Ophir, Immogene, California, Cinnamon) on the 1190 is was fantastic scenery and most of it was fairly do-able with the exception of a few short sections where she would have to walk a hundred yards or so.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
We've stayed in Ouray a couple of times and always rented Jeeps to go do some of the passes.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  The rental outfits have extensive knowledge of the passes and always offered good advice based on experience level/adrenaline-seeking.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
IBA #37902

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
Leaningtree to the white courtesy phone, please.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
and Jim

Online 1KPerDay

NVM, my son doesn't want to go with me  :rolleyes:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
take your daughter

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
Go by yourself! Take lots of pictures and when you share them with your son, be sure to add in, "You could've seen this yourself, neener-neener-neener."
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Online 1KPerDay

take your daughter
srsly. frickin 15-year-olds  :facepalm:

Online 1KPerDay

Go by yourself! Take lots of pictures and when you share them with your son, be sure to add in, "You could've seen this yourself, neener-neener-neener."
LOL

Vacation time is at a premium so I try to take a kid with me when possible so the wife is more amenable to my being away. I'll go another time, once this boy pulls his head out of his, uh... video games.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Derp. I missed this thanks to inattention.

Colorado high country is open, but conflicted. They want/need you to come here and drop your wallet, but are frightened to death of anyone from out of area as a potential carrier. Add in the inevitable locals/tourists that are precaution resistant, and the tourism industry is in a tough place right now. There are a lot of businesses that simply unable to open when numbers are low, and others that have already closed for good. Many restaurants are limiting menus, and state mandate is limiting seating. Lots of patio dining as a mitigating factor.

If you go, bring a mask. Correction, bring enough masks to put on a new one each day (because mask funk sucks). Essentially any business and every township is requiring a face cover for any interaction. You're fine if off grid, but again, any interaction should be protected. The farther up in the small towns, the more important. If you get sick here, it's not an inexpensive trip to the local hospital, it can be a 3 hr whambulance ride or a super cool and expensive whirlybird trip. Sometimes both.

And I'll not kid you, if the locals AREN'T willing to cover their faces, they should be considered Typhoid Mary. It sounds harsh, but those are the folks most at risk of being carriers, and my own observations seem to bear that out given that most of the folks I've personally known that contracted were resistant to the easy protective options. Take that as my $.02.

Other than that, the outdoors are still there. And still beautiful. Moreso when there are limited people in them. But retards are retards, and you have to do what you can to avoid or mitigate for your own good. Yes, I know that's not PC. Don't care. As with motorcycling, you look out for yourself, THEN others. You wear a helmet, but can't make anyone else.

In my mind right now, the biggest issues are the folks that just don't think the strictures pertain to them. In the grander scheme of things, some of what business have implemented as due diligence is security theater. We get that. It's inconvenient, and some of it seems like it's just a PITA. But it's what they've mandated to make their businesses acceptable. Kind of like no shirt no shoes no service... if you can't wear a mask when you go through a crowded room to hit the bathroom, you probably shouldn't be out in public anyway.

Sorry... this turned into a rant. My brother in laws other brother in law just was diagnosed this week. Their whole family is now in true quarantine. But, as he was one of those guys saying "You can't make me!",  I'm conflicted. I don't wish them ill (even though he's always kind of been a dick), but I can't help but think that he and his Karen wife may very well have made their own bed by not wanting to be inconvenienced. Now they are truly inconvenienced, and at risk of life and limb.

Final thought... Wear a helmet. You can't make anybody else wear a helmet, but it's harder to sympathize with those that don't and crash. (yes, I'm making a Covid/Motorcycling parable. It's lame, but there you go).

LT

Edit: If anybody comes near me, I'm tuned into breweries still operating with appropriate precautions. First one's on me.

Great googly-moogly!