Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coloradans: what’s the COVID rules situation like as far as tourism?  (Read 133 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Considering a ride the week after Independence Day. Are restaurants and lodging open? Masks required everywhere? Mesa verde open? Any gotchas in the telluride/Durango/ouray area?
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
I don’t know the answer to that question but I will say what I always say...  if you get a chance, go to Silverton and rent some off road vehicle and get up on some of the passes. You could do engineer, California, corkscrew cinnamon, or some combination of the above and see more of the Rockies than many people who live there ever will. It’s pretty amazing. That is all.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
I don’t know the answer to that question but I will say what I always say...  if you get a chance, go to Silverton and rent some off road vehicle and get up on some of the passes. You could do engineer, California, corkscrew cinnamon, or some combination of the above and see more of the Rockies than many people who live there ever will. It’s pretty amazing. That is all.

Yup, the passes are pretty epic. But note that some of those roads are steep, rocky, (narrow) shelf roads with tight switchbacks. You see lots of very off-road SxS up there. I'm sure any rental company would provide guidance on difficulty ratings.

I found some of it kinda sketchy on a dirt bike, mostly the fear of dealing with rock gardens on shelf roads. I hate rocks. Those would be bad places to sail off the edge. The tamer roads could be done in a Subaru with some care. We stayed in Ouray. I thought it was a pretty cool town.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Yup, the passes are pretty epic. But note that some of those roads are steep, rocky, (narrow) shelf roads with tight switchbacks. You see lots of very off-road SxS up there. I'm sure any rental company would provide guidance on difficulty ratings.

I found some of it kinda sketchy on a dirt bike, mostly the fear of dealing with rock gardens on shelf roads. I hate rocks. Those would be bad places to sail off the edge. The tamer roads could be done in a Subaru with some care. We stayed in Ouray. I thought it was a pretty cool town.

I'm pretty sure the ones I mentioned, with the possible exception of 2 very minor spots on Engineer, are all pretty tame and they're accessible from the road (2?) that goes north out of Silverton without having to trailer anything.  Notice I didn't suggest Black Bear or even Ophir for the very reasons you suggested.  Even if a quad or sxs or bike isn't desirable for vacation purposes, a half day in a jeep would get you over all those passes without much pucker factor.  We stayed at the state park in Ridgeway just north of Ouray. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Fantastic riding around Ouray. my wife and I statyed there and did most of the passes (Ophir, Immogene, California, Cinnamon) on the 1190 is was fantastic scenery and most of it was fairly do-able with the exception of a few short sections where she would have to walk a hundred yards or so.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
We've stayed in Ouray a couple of times and always rented Jeeps to go do some of the passes.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  The rental outfits have extensive knowledge of the passes and always offered good advice based on experience level/adrenaline-seeking.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
IBA #37902

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
Leaningtree to the white courtesy phone, please.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
and Jim