Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triumph on the ropes?  (Read 495 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Triumph on the ropes?
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:27:39 PM »
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: Triumph on the ropes?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
I didn't know that Triumph was planning to move all production to Thailand. I could see that putting off a lot of current customers. At least in the short term, until the Thai-built bikes can prove that they are reliable, good attention to detail, etc.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:42:10 PM »
I watched that a few day's ago. I have to agree, I would be a bit put off if my triumph was made in Thailand. Unfortunately, the one i want (Speed Twin) is already being made there. I also liked the point of putting all this electronics on retro bikes when most of the potential customers are not looking for that, they just want a simple bike. Personally, I don't see them going anywhere. 

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens, though.  I doubt that the brand would disappear...but somebody in India or China might be the puppeteer at some point.

Offline Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 04:25:57 AM »
This doesn’t seem like a big deal to me since the design, engineering and the profits all wind up in Hinckley.

BMW Motarrad has plants in 14 countries including India and Brazil.  KTM builds motorbikes in the Philippines.

Ducati has a final assembly plant in Thailand not far from Triumph’s factories 3, 4, and 5.  Shoot, Ducati’s Bologna plant is basically a final assembly plant.

And yet I don’t hear people complaining that BMWs aren’t German, or KTMs not Austrian, or Ducatis not Italian.

The logistics of building a motorcycle with domestic parts is, well, prohibitive except for (ironically) the Chinese, who do not have a reputation for building desirable exotica. China might be the only country in the world where you can buy a bike that was made from domestic parts.

I think we should be realistic about global manufacturing, and need to appreciate the quality of our Triumphs that were conceived in England and built in Thailand.   I have a (Thai built) Speed Twin and the quality is very good indeed.

And while we might want excellent British built Nitron or Protech shocks, do we really want to go back to Lucas Electrics? ;)
Putting Ducati back into education.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »
And yet I don’t hear people complaining that BMWs aren’t German, or KTMs not Austrian, or Ducatis not Italian.

Nope. They complain about reliability.  ;D

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 12:52:45 PM »

Final drives, ABS pumps, fuel strips, fork clamps....   I have no idea what you're talking about  8)

Offline Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »

:D   so maybe the lucky ones get their motorbikes built in Thailand
Putting Ducati back into education.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »
Don't care where my Triumph was built.  It's been completely reliable.  As in never needed one emergency fix and still on the same AGM battery I put in it when I bought it. (?2014).