Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Secure, quick access gunsafe  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
Secure, quick access gunsafe
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
Has anyone done research on in home gun safes for a pistol, an extra magazine and maybe a box of ammo? Also want it in my closet, and floor, wall, in-floor and in-wall options are all available given configuration of closet. Not trying to spend a ton here either - will not be opened often at all.

Lots of options at amazon, inexpensive biometrics.

Issue I'm having: for security, do I want in wall or in floor, bolted between the joists so it can't just be ripped out? Are the safes bolted to the floor secure enough? Do you need thick gauge steel?

Issue with access: I like the idea of a keyed back up, am intrigued by the biometric finger print readers, but worried they can be defeated, so am thinking just a coded, electronic lock (type in the code to get in).

Lastly: I don't want it to beep in the event I am opening the safe and would rather not announce my presence...if it beeps I want the option to turn it off without having to dig into the guts of the safe...

I figure if anyone will have opinions, it would be you guys, and given the criteria above, what do you think?

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
Re: Secure, quick access gunsafe
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
I have seen some of these vaults on lock pick web sites. Many if not all of them are easily defeated and in ways you would not think. If you do a YouTube search you can see how easy it is to break into most of them. Some are so simple they should be ashamed of selling them for these prices.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
So what do I buy? That's why I'm asking...want to avoid those easily defeated safes.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
Just stuff it in a nightstand. Safes  just keep honest people honest. They are all easily defeated.

Offline khuffy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »
Q-Line

QLine Nightguard - furniture with hidden secret compartments

Q-Line SafeGuard Shelving System

QLine Entertainment Media Center

QLine Design Secret compartment table

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:16 AM »
I have been looking at some of these.  SentrySafe has a Quick Access Gun Safe (model QAP1E) that looks okay.  I plan to go find one in a store and see what it looks and feels like.  I've read quite a few reviews that the Gun Vault brand are not very good, but it's hard to know for sure.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/496/QAP1E_Quick_Access_Pistol_Safe

For something larger, this looks interesting, but I haven't seen one in person.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/456/T6-331_Security_Safe

I know some of these are easily defeated.  The way the laws are, anyone with kids or handguns has to do something other that just "stuff it in a drawer".

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
First question: Do you have any plan / thought / possibility you'll have a long gun to tend? If yes, then a floor standing style of safe may be the primary type of safe to look at (and they can be bolted to wall and floor).

For just a pistol, I'd shy away from biometrics but I say that out of ignorance. The set your fingers on the buttons and press the finger sequence seems quick and easy, to me. That style can come with an "aircraft cable" to tether the safe. Something like this, imo, is handy when visiting others (sleeping overnight and they have kids in the house - I'd want "beeps" and a tether (to the bed I'm sleeping in) to be alerted to a child trying to open the "curious toy box"). A switch could be put, inside, to set beep/silent. Though - you could be in a position where you'd want silent and not be in silent mode.

Stack-On personal case boxes, with keyed backup.

Button press:
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/personal-casesboxes--6/products/293

Biometric version (quite a diff in retail price):
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/personal-casesboxes--6/products/294

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
So I went with this - biometric, but you swipe you finger making it harder to trick.

http://www.amazon.com/LOCKSAF-Personal-Biometric-Safe-PBS-D/dp/B008VD3EBA

Fortunately my finger prints work great and of about 25 tries it opens every time. Thick gauge steel compared to the others. Very pleased with it. Easy to get to the hidden keyhole with these funky 4 bladed keys which have been safely hidden in the house.

Don't see any reason not to recommend this gun safe.

Thanks for the comments!

- Dan