Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: request ideas for small business blog topics  (Read 760 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
request ideas for small business blog topics
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »
pleez
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Re: request ideas for small business blog topics
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
The difference between a 401K and a simple IRA.

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
The difference between a 401K and a simple IRA.

...and a Keogh plan
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
How To Delegate
An important, though frequently lacking skill for the small business owner.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
True that!  While there is a plethora of info available, I've run into several small independents who simply do not understand small business retirement plans, e.g. SEP IRA, Simple IRA, self-employed 401(k), etc.  Each has different advantages depending upon how your business is structured. 

Another might be how to self-incorporate as an LLC in a particular state.  While there is a lot of information on the advantages of doing so, I've seen very little about how to actually go about doing it (besides call my law firm & I'll take care of it for a modest fee).

Insurance requirements and recommendations might be another.

The importance of having a web page that drives traffic to your business.

However, while the interweb is full of info on these topics, if you are looking for something unique, I'm dead out of fresh ideas.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
Thanks. Some of the above I've already done but there's some fresh stuff there. Keep them coming!  8)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
Something we've just gone through and figured out:

How to protect a family farm (or other small business) and pass it on to the next generation without losing it all in the case of long-term nursing care or other issue.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:33 AM »
Something we've just gone through and figured out:

How to protect a family farm (or other small business) and pass it on to the next generation without losing it all in the case of long-term nursing care or other issue.

Self canceling note.  The heirs (kids) buy out the parents on a long term installment note.  When the parents kick off, the kids inherit the note. Who do they owe the money to?  Themselves.  What assets do the parents have in the nursing home?  A long term note.  "Sorry, I'm only collecting $20K this year."

The tricky bit is timing the sale so the kids don't have to make too many payments.  But even two or three out of, say, 20 or 30 annual installments can be a lot less than the estate tax on the very few (less than 1%) estates that are taxable these days.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »
I'm no expert on estate planning, but in some states that might trigger estate taxes.   In DE, property passes tax free to immediate family.  In PA, IIRC family pays inheritance tax on either the appraised value at the time they inherit the property or on the actual sales price if the property is transferred by the estate.  A revocable trust might be the better option in some states.  Need to do your homework on this one.

Good idea though; I like that one.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
Search engine optimization. What is it, how does it work,and what's worth paying for.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
Target customer ID(ing) and marketing
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:52:04 AM »
When you’re low on cash, who do you pay first?

Hint: the IRS, always.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
Oooo good one

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 08:09:24 PM »
I'm no expert on estate planning, but in some states that might trigger estate taxes.   In DE, property passes tax free to immediate family.  In PA, IIRC family pays inheritance tax on either the appraised value at the time they inherit the property or on the actual sales price if the property is transferred by the estate.  A revocable trust might be the better option in some states.  Need to do your homework on this one.

Yep- in Michigan we had to move it into a type of trust in order to save it.
Let's do some science.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »
Thanks again all. Do you guys see a way for the estate planning topic to be relevant without becoming too complicated due to varying state specifics/restrictions?

Keep the ideas coming

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
I'm not sure, but I DO know it's something that needs to be dealt with well before people thnk it should.  Only time will tell if we made the move early enough.

It seems this could be an issue for any small business that wants to be passed on to the next generation.
Let's do some science.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm not sure, but I DO know it's something that needs to be dealt with well before people thnk it should.  Only time will tell if we made the move early enough.

It seems this could be an issue for any small business that wants to be passed on to the next generation.

I think long term care facilities may look back 3 to 5 years.  So you need to have a plan in place.

While you can talk about strategies in general terms, you have to make sure folks understand in many cases they need to get state specific advice and information. 

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 07:32:20 AM »

I think long term care facilities may look back 3 to 5 years.  So you need to have a plan in place.

While you can talk about strategies in general terms, you have to make sure folks understand in many cases they need to get state specific advice and information.

Yep- 5 years for Michigan.  4 years to go for us at this point.  Once we got this set, my parent's comment was "We should have done this years ago".

Yep. 

I guess that's part of my point with this blog idea.  While each state can be different, the important thing is to start the process WELL before they think- you don't lose anything.  For many people (like my parents) it took a couple years for them to realize that they need to deal with this end-of-life stuff now, as a 10 year plan for farming is probably not in the picture.
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
Oooo good one

Important.  My dad found that out the hard way. :facepalm:
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »

Yep- in Michigan we had to move it into a type of trust in order to save it.

And assets moved into a trust aren't protected for the first 5 years (learned this with Mom when she absolutely refused all suggestions about it. When she finally did (at my brother's recommendation) she didn't live more than 3 years after... so what a double headache (of doing all her taxes, our taxes, and then the Trust taxes) because it wasn't done soon enough.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »
Anyone had any brainwaves?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
What’s the context?  Blog for customers or employees?  Basic nature of business?

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »
Blog is for small business owners primarily. Company sells small business software.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 07:39:57 AM »
If a vendor can't figure out what is important enough to themselves or what repetitive questions could be answered in a FAQ, then trying to push them into maintaining a blog will be fruitless and frustrating.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
The blog topics are for me to write about with an audience of small business owners.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
The blog topics are for me to write about with an audience of small business owners.

Yup.  That's exactly what I was after. 

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »

Yup.  That's exactly what I was after.

Good point. I guess the original wording was a little less specific.

Mayhaps a first point at the beginning of the session:

For those of you who are here because someone said web sites with blogs are a good idea but really aren't sure about it:

A web site can be hands off, very much 3-times-a-day hands-on, or anywhere in between. Adding a blog to your web site moves it farther toward the hands-on side of things. If you don't understand the time commitment to a daily blog with new content, then consider a more hands-off design or hiring a part timer to maintain your blog while you and your staff do the actual work that keeps the lights on.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Perhaps you could link to some of your favorites (blogs) as examples. Or even solicit members here for their favs just to get ideas.

Online Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
request ideas for small business blog topics
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
How about a blog post about ownership transition?

Might be a multi-part post.   

For instance, say two people own a business who are in their early 40's.   They should be looking at their employees with an eye toward who is going to buy the business from them and keep it going into the future, and they should be doing it now.   Ten years from now is probably too late, and fifteen years from now is when they are going to be thinking about retiring.   So as silly as it might seem, an owner should be thinking about who the next owner of their business will be the day that they become the majority shareholder.

And there are a number of ways to handle this.  For instance, just close the business and collect receipts; transition to younger employees; sell the business outright.   But you should be thinking about this waaaaay before you intend to do it.
Putting Ducati back into education.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
Counterpoint to Smoothie's totally cromulent point, I have never met a small business owner who expected or was willing to part with the business before death unless said business was ailing.

This is specific to restaurants/bars, but probably applies to other industries 
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
Counterpoint to Smoothie's totally cromulent point, I have never met a small business owner who expected or was willing to part with the business before death unless said business was ailing.

This is specific to restaurants/bars, but probably applies to other industries

I guess that my previous partner and I are the ones, then.    My ex-partner Ed told me about five years after he hired me, "I was looking for a guy like you since the day after I opened the doors."   ;D

And I was only a sole proprietor for about a year before I brought on the first of the two people to whom I'm selling the business.

Goal:  Retire at 60.   Then I can take more motorbike trips.   :)
Putting Ducati back into education.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Good ideas. Thanks

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
y'all mean succession planning