Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Allergy Question...  (Read 233 times)

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Allergy Question...
« on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
I finally discovered at least one trigger for my migraines...Chinese Privet.  These are always located in the sinuses...behind/near the eyes.

What's odd is that Zyrtec doesn't prevent them but Benadryl seems to help...both should be antihistamines.

Also, if I breathe through my mouth and not my nose as soon as I detect the scent, I don't have a reaction.  Isn't the allergen still getting into my body?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
Re: Allergy Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
i believe I've had three migraine headaches in my entire life.  I seem to skip (or don't notice) the first stage; the prodrome.  I do (did) suffer from the aura, attack and postdrome.

I found this as it refers to smell...

9. Smell
Some odors may activate certain nerve receptors in the nasal passages that may trigger a migraine attack or make worse one that already started. Osmophobia (aversion to odors) is a common symptom of migraine.

How to cope: Avoid perfumes, strong food smells, chemicals or gasoline. If you work in an office environment, make your condition known among your coworkers, and don’t be afraid to ask that they refrain from wearing perfume or cologne.

So perhaps breathing through the mouth protects the nerve receptors in the nasal passages?

Migraines suck.  Good luck.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/resource-library/top-10-migraine-triggers-and-how-to-deal-with-them/

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
I don't (often) get migraines, but have had a lifetime of significant inhalant allergies and the sinus pain that comes with them. Not all OTC antihistamines are the same. I have tried all of them.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) works great but is also a potent soporific, which is less than ideal.
I tried Zyrtec (Cetirizine) and 100% of the time it made the symptoms much worse for about 36 hours. I'd rather be sleepy. Oh, it also makes you sleepy.
I ended up with Claritin (Loratidine). It doesn't do anything to treat or block pain, but does block histaminic reaction to the point of not getting the inflammation that causes the pain. Not sleepy-making either.

$0.02
I am not a doctor, YMMV, etc.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:33:37 PM »
Sinus pain and migraines are not the same thing.
Take Claritin EVERY day to minimize the
allergic reaction. At the earliest onset of
sinus pain take a decongestant like Sudafed
to relieve the pressure. 
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
Gave Claritin (generic) a try...it seems to help more than others.  Thanks for the suggestion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
Good to hear.
Keep taking it till allergy season passes.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.