Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MotoAmerica is racing this weekend  (Read 369 times)

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
MotoAmerica is racing this weekend
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
It was kind of easy for it to slip by, but MotoAmerica is opening its season this weekend. They're racing at Road America without spectators. Races will be on Foxsports 1 and 2 (depending on the day) and their subscription livestream service.

Saturday, May 30, Superbike Race 1, Foxsports 2, 4:00 eastern
Sunday, May 31, Superbike Race 2, Foxsports 1, 2:00 eastern

I don't have cable or their subscription service, so I'll be staying away from this thread for a few weeks until the races pop up on YouTube. But it's nice to know someone's going around a track.
A man with no sig

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
Re: MotoAmerica is racing this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
For those of you who do have a lot of cable channels, it's worth noting that MAVTV is going to show the Supersport races this weekend, in addition to the Superbike class on Fox. And if anyone from over the pond is reading here, MotoAmerica Superbike is also going to be shown on Eurosport.

If you're looking to get up to speed on what to expect (a LOT has changed this year), may I humbly recommend my season preview article at RevZilla: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-motoamerica-superbike-season-preview

I'll have more coverage at RevZilla.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »

If you're looking to get up to speed on what to expect (a LOT has changed this year), may I humbly recommend my season preview article at RevZilla: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-motoamerica-superbike-season-preview

Sweet!!   :bigok:
A man with no sig

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »

Sweet!!   :bigok:

Awesome, great article thanks.
I'll watch the Sunday race, thanks again for posting the link...
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »
Just thought you might like to know...

Beaubier Breaks Superbike Lap Record At Road America

Monster Energy Attack Performance Yamaha rider Cameron Beaubier earned provisional pole position during MotoAmerica Superbike qualifying Friday at Road America, in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

Riding his new, 2020-model YZF-R1 tuned by his new crew chief Richard Stanboli, four-time and defending Champion Beaubier lapped the four-mile-long course in 2:11.145, eclipsing the previous MotoAmerica/AMA Superbike lap record of 2:11.333 set by Josh Hayes in 2012, according to MotoAmerica.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:18:38 AM »
The spread in laps times is huge. Cameron is over 2 seconds faster than #2. I'm used to seeing a top 10 separated by less than a second (MotoGP, WSBK) and #10 is over 7 seconds off the pace. We'll see what happens come Superpole and the first race today.

EDIT: Race 1 was pretty good!

I didn't realize that PJ is running both Superstock and Superbike.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:26:55 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
ICYMI, my coverage of a very surreal weekend of racing:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/what-if-you-put-on-a-race-and-nobody-came

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/strange-days-zero-fans-four-double-winners-in-motoamericas-delayed-opener

Too bad the Superbike and Supersport races, the ones shown on TV, were just about the least competitive (at least for the win). By comparison, here's my favorite stat for the weekend. Rocco Landers, racing in Junior Cup and Twins Cup, finished the weekend with three second-place finishes and a third. If he had finished each race just a tenth of a second quicker, he'd have had four wins.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:05:48 PM »
I didn't realize that PJ is running both Superstock and Superbike.

Stock 1000 bikes are allowed to compete in the Superbike races (mainly to fill out a thin field). Gives them a chance to pick up some more prize money. Despite being a lower spec Stock 1000 bike, PJ's Ducati V4 R was only about 3 to 5 mph slower in top speed on the front straight, which is where they measure it at Road America, than the top Superbikes. I think he's going to mop up the Stock 1000 class.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
Rocco was SOOOO close every race. Like you say, less than a half second from the win TOTAL over four races. Crazy.

I like having the subscription so that I can watch all the races at my leisure. I don't have any DVR stuff at home to record what little makes it to TV. It's cool to see the stars of tomorrow in their formative years.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »
It's cool to see the stars of tomorrow in their formative years.

One of the great things about watching the young racers in the support classes is how they suddenly make a giant leap forward. Look at Dominic Doyle. He was usually near the front last year, but finished the season fifth in points. If Rocco Landers had been racing in Europe last weekend, as originally planned, instead of being in Junior Cup here, Doyle would have won those two eight-lap races by nearly 30 seconds, all alone at the front. That's incredible progress.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
Just a public service announcement:  a lot of those support races are on YouTube. And they're fun.
A man with no sig