Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Learn Me Up on Cookware  (Read 414 times)

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Learn Me Up on Cookware
« on: May 17, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
Dear EOEs,
My set of 15-year-old non-stick Cuisinart pots and pans are definitely looking worse for the wear. I’m looking to replace them. I’m a prolific cook (6 of 7 nights a week). I cook all sorts of dishes and use all of the pieces in the set. I’m looking for some advice on replacements.

My sister raves about her Le Creuset stuff. I’m not sure about the enamel (tales of her burning stuff and having to soak in baking soda and vinegar give me pause). I do sort of like the idea of having stuff that could be used on an induction stove, if I ever go that route.

The would prefer dishwasher safe, if at all possible.

Go.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Re: Learn Me Up on Cookware
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
Not high end by any means but got this for a wedding gift 13 years ago and still
Working better than expected.   https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/emeril-essential-hard-anodized-cookware-collection/807680
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »
Frankly, just get quality stainless steel cookware.  Nonstick has a finite shelf life.  Good stuff can always be scoured with steel wool in needed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
I do not use non stick but anything from Premier pan made near Pittsburgh Pa or ( allclad)Usa pan ( also local )is top notch. I have some 20+ years old and some new,love them. Even heating ,built to last, I won't buy anything else. They are in the higher price end but you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:15:23 PM by maddjack »
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Knobnose

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Buell S1, BMW S1000R
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »
We got some Swiss Diamond sauce pans a couple of years ago that are the best we have tried. Heavy alu that heats evenly with a tough anodized exterior and tough slippery nonstick that has so far stood up to the frequent (mis) use of steel utensils. Not cheap, but worth it so far imo.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
Well I have all kinds of cookware for different reasons:

Two non-stick skillets - 8 and 12 inch - cheap because no matter how much you spend, it wears out.
Large cast iron skillet (Lodge) for roasting a chicken and searing steaks using reverse sear
Ceramic lined cast iron Dutch oven (Lodge) - for braises, deep frying, and no knead bread baking. It is stained but I have yet to burn anything that badly. I have a cast iron flamer tamer that helps not it not to get too hot.
Stainless steel sauce pans (3) and large deep skillet with handles (Cuisinart) for cooking rice, pasta, stove to oven to table cooking and pan sautes.

These are what I use the most and I really like them. My set of Calphalon anodized is in the RV. I've left the 'set' idea or one kind of cookware behind for the most part. I do have a few Le Creuset items, but I buy them at the outlet store coz I'm cheap. Needless to say, I'm not paying for Staub; Lodge is good enough. Haven't tried the carbon steel cookware.

What do you cook? What's important to you? For me, it was having the right tool for the job. Or the most successful tool for the job. Non-stick for eggs cause I'm not going to stress about seasoning my cast iron to that extent. I'm fundamentally lazy.  :bigsmile:

Mine look like I use them; I clean out the inside; don't worry too much about the outside.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online nickybcareful

• Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada, Black
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
We use the Calphalon commercial grade. Have for years. They're a Toledo company. They're a solid choice if you can get them at a good price.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »
We have a conduction cooktop and love it.  BUT it only really works with cookware that is "magnetic".

I would avoid all cookware with nonstick coatings, since they all seem to scrape away.  Some but not all enamaled cast iron cookware are appropriate for conduction cooktops, those that are will list it as such.  Lodge brands work great.

For routine cookware, we love our All-Clad cookware.  You can often find it at a better price at Home Goods.  There is also the All Clad Factory seconds sale which can be a windfall if you don't mind a scratch or two.

https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=82a4a0c8990f11ea802f04fe0a24060b

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
I've used the same set of Calphalon hard anodized for about the past decade with no complaints, the annodizing is holding up great and is still non-stick, along with a couple cast iron frying pans I inherited.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Offline 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
I went cast iron a few years ago and haven't looked back. I had top-tier nonstick for a long time and they all wear out.

If you can't take 3 minutes after each use to scrub any debris out with hot water and re-season with an oily cloth, then stainless or hard-anodized is a good way to go IMO. I have one Calphalon hard anodized and it is definitely NOT nonstick but it behaves pretty much like any quality steel pan and you can use metal utensils if you want. And it builds a good fond.

I have a couple le creuset dutch ovens (a huge one and a sorta huge one) and they are awesome for soups, stews, roasts, deep frying, etc. With a cast iron griddle/plancha that covers two burners and can be easily lifted out of the way, and 3 cast iron pans of different sizes, and a couple le creusets, and an instant pot, a roasting pan, and a couple of jelly roll pans/cookie sheets, that's all I need. And I cook daily for a lot of people.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
cast iron is a must IMO everyone should have at least one. and they last forever, I think mine is 50+ years old.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
I mix and match different types. I use a lot of ProCook stuff, though I'm not sure if it's available in the US-it has a different kind of non-stick which will outlast Teflon by many years. I use a fair bit of cast iron-any decent make should do. Stainless steel is used for cookware which will need a lot of cleaning, as it's very tough (and the main choice of professionals). Le Creuset-I don't have any (the price!) but it's really high quality and the company replaces items even after decades of use, so well worth considering.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
A very good quality set of nice quality stainless steel is a great start for most things.  Even heat distribution is THE key.  But, everyone needs at least one non-stick pan for things like eggs, etc.  For me, I went with a set of Allclad.  High quality heirloom type stuff made in good old Pittsburgh PA.  You don't need Allclad.  Just got to your local restaurant warehouse store and pick up some quality stainless stuff.   

A few cast iron prices should be in your arsenal, too.  But, as a secondary as a good stainless pan can do things nearly as well as a good cast iron (i.e. sear protein and provide great heat distribution with no hot spots).  I have some Le Creuset stuff, mostly a dutch oven.  It makes a great product.  But, it's pricey.  And, enamel coated surfaces are not as though as stainless.  So, you need to clean a Le Creuset carefully.  Another excellent cast iron product to consider is Staub. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:52:30 PM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 04:30:58 AM »
We got some Swiss Diamond sauce pans a couple of years ago that are the best we have tried.

We have stainless steel from mom’s wedding (50+ years ago) that’s still going strong, a couple of cast iron skillets.  Various non-stick with Swiss Diamond being our favorite BUT you can’t put it in the dishwasher (in spite of any claims to the contrary) because dishwasher detergent is much more caustic than dish soap and WILL wear down the non-stick coating,
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
Our stuff is mostly stainless, but we also have a few cast iron items- an enamel-coated cast iron dutch oven, and two cast iron pans for searing and things like that.

I also have a good non-stick caephalon (sp) pan for eggs, as many have mentioned.  I'm careful to never use metal; in it, but it just can't be beat for non-stick use for eggs and such.  Good grief, they need a special method just to apply the stuff.  While I like my cast pans (that are well-seasoned) they cannot match the "non-stickiness" of a good nonstick pan. 

To me it's all about the right tool for the job at hand.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.