Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New tires for the pick up question  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
New tires for the pick up question
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
This seems the forum for this question.

I have Dunlop AT20 Grandtrek's on my Tundra 4x4 currently.  OK tire, but I want a more off road type.  I was looking at the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A.  The Mud Terrain is toooo hardcore.  They whine like crazy on asphalt.  I stopped at a Goodyear Tire and they recommended Goodyear's new kevlar reinforced sidewall tire, the Wrangler Allterrain Adventure.

Anyone have any personal thought on truck tires?  No Michelins.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: New tires for the pick up question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
I only use Michelins so I can't give you any input. I am curious though, why you no likey Michelin? Cheers
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
I have Good Year Wrangler SilentArmor on my F150.  Much better tread pattern than the stock Generals.  Michelin didn't make my size.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
I put Cooper AT3's on my 4Runner this fall. Not too noisy but it is a 99 4Runner after all. Very good in the snow we've had so far.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
I tried Coopers once. They weren't bad. I only put about 3000 miles on them before selling the vehicle, but I would recommend them to someone.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
I am running Firestone destination AT's right now, they were rated highly for snow and rain, and I am happy with them. Ran Goodyear Wranglers before that, and I would have bought them again, but their price went up ridiculously high, and the firestones were rated higher. I am not sure if they are still available, but the Dunlop Mud Rover was a good tire for me. Don't let the Mud in the name throw you, they are more like a very aggressive all-terrain, similar to Goodyear AT's but spaced out a bit more with larger lugs.

I have 5 sets of the BFG AT's on various vehicles, and were my go-to tire, but when they changed manufacturing plants the quality went to crap. That was a few years ago, they may have gotten back on track.

I will buy Michelins for my bikes, not my cars. They are an 'old-mans' tire, (no offense, I am one now) and the endorsement is "they last forever". They do, because they are made out of rock and provide no traction. Couldn't wait to get them off my Suburban. Put on BFG's, ABS didn't go off half as much, and must have cut 50ft off 60mph braking distances. YMMV
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:24:33 AM »
I've run Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's on my Tundra since I bought it.  They are decent in pretty much everything and fairly quiet on the road.

The reason I went this route was from suggestions over on Tundrasolutions.

I think my next set will be Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »
I've been a BFG AT guy for years.  As soon as my current tires wear out, they will go on my Silverado.  Quiet, good mileage, and really good in the dirt, mud, snow, and sand when you need it.  For me they have been the perfect balance. 

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline marc11

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
I just put a set of Cooper A/T3 on my truck. Amazing in the snow and wet. A little him above 65 mph but not bad when you look at how aggressive they are. Very happy with them for the past 2k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S came on my current truck. They suck. Traction is terrible, and they aren't lasting. Cooper had good traction, but didn't last. Dunlop was good other than they wouldn't stay balanced. I'm going back to BFGoodrich Long trail T/A. They were the best balance of traction, ride, and life I've had in tires.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S came on my current truck. They suck. Traction is terrible, and they aren't lasting. Cooper had good traction, but didn't last. Dunlop was good other than they wouldn't stay balanced. I'm going back to BFGoodrich Long trail T/A. They were the best balance of traction, ride, and life I've had in tires.

Goodyear Wranglers come in a lot of letter designations: AT/S, GS/A, A/T, etc... they differ a lot.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
I have Cooper ties on my Tacoma and love them!
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Some great replies.  Thanks guys. 

And my girl has Michelin's on the removal van, a Dodge Grand Caravan and they are the worst tires ever made in rain and snow.  Solid blocks of rubber would be better.  I have never liked Michelin.  For any vehicle.  2 wheel or 4.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »
Oh, and Chris thanks for the Toyo pick. I have heard good things about those. 
~Dan

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
The tires  I put on my Dodge Dackota are Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. They are the ones for about equal road/off road.They are very quiet and I get about 3 more mpg that the Michelins they replaced. They are pretty good off road and in sand, but I have no idea how they are in mud. I don't know how long they last as I have only had them a year and a half. I'm planning to get another set when these are done,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:26:02 AM by JonS »
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
My Taco had the OE Dunlop's on it when I got it.  They were awful.  I wanted Wrangler Duratracs but they wouldn't fit so I went with BFGs.  Hard to go wrong with them.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
I'm a little late to this party.

My wife put 105,000 miles on a set BFG ATKO's for her FJ Cruiser 4x4.  I loved the off-road traction - we went a lot of places on those tires.  But they were also heavy and the slightly taller profile I bought shot fuel mileage down to 18 from 19.5. 

When we replaced them I went with Toyo Open Country AT's.  Not quite as much off-road stick as the KO's but they are fantastic on road with a more compliant ride and much, much better rain/snow traction.  We currently have about 25,000 miles on the set and they are holding up great.  I suspect we will see 65,000 out of them.

Back to the Tundra:  yeah, I have a Tundra Platinum on Dunlop 5000's (suckage).  When they die I'm going with the Toyo's.  I just don't need all the off-road traction that the KO's as much as I want the road compliance.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
Some great replies.  Thanks guys. 

And my girl has Michelin's on the removal van, a Dodge Grand Caravan and they are the worst tires ever made in rain and snow.  Solid blocks of rubber would be better.  I have never liked Michelin.  For any vehicle.  2 wheel or 4.

There is a reason they last forever you know :bigsmile:.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
I just put a set of Cooper A/T3 on my truck. Amazing in the snow and wet. A little him above 65 mph but not bad when you look at how aggressive they are. Very happy with them for the past 2k miles.

I have had cooper A/T's on two trucks and went with the A/T3's on the last change. A little more aggressive than the A/T but are fantastic in the snow. They are a little bit noisier than the A/T but not annoying. For the money, you cant beat cooper tires. Have had them on a couple cars as well.  :thumbsup:

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

I have had cooper A/T's on two trucks and went with the A/T3's on the last change. A little more aggressive than the A/T but are fantastic in the snow. They are a little bit noisier than the A/T but not annoying. For the money, you cant beat cooper tires. Have had them on a couple cars as well.  :thumbsup:

Excellent.  Thank you.
~Dan

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 06:55:11 AM »
I went through a lot of AT tires on the Ranger and my top choice at the time was the Dueler AT Revo and Revo 2.  Then I found the Destination AT and that became my go to tire.  Excellent performance on and off road.
No reason to look elsewhere as they are at the top of the ratings on tire rack and also tend to be less expensive than many other AT tires out there.  I rarely even shop anymore.  I've simply found what works.

This weighs heavily into my decision...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Ram+1500+SLT+4wd&autoModClar=Quad+Cab
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »
If I wasn't worried about money or mileage, it would be these.  :)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »
Thanks VB.  The Firestones don't look that aggressive.  Good feedback for sure, but I want something that looks off road without a crazy high lugged mud tire.  All of the tire sites have my tire size wrong.  I confirmed I have the factory size with the owners manual, but I type in my truck and my size isn't even an option.  I also have been thinking about a bigger tire.  Tundras sit high with a lot of wheel well showing.  I want to stay with 17's as I bought new wheels in December, but want a bigger sidewall for the visual aspect. 
~Dan

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
Going for the mall crawler look.   :lol:

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »
Going for the mall crawler look.   :lol:

No.  lol

I actually take this truck off road, and now that I don't drive it long distances much, I figured I go with a more aggressive tire.  The mud tires just howl too much.
~Dan

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »
I get what you're saying, but you're definition of offload sounds like dirt roads.  Any tire will do that. 

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »
I get what you're saying, but you're definition of offload sounds like dirt roads.  Any tire will do that.

Some, but I also take it where there is no road.  The Dunlops aren't bad, but I'd like something better in mud and snow.
~Dan

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
I've done that!  Sunk it up to the axels.  :D

I bet mine was easier to get out.  I didn't even need a tow.  A heavy bucket truck must have been a real chore to free.
~Dan

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
Thanks VB.  The Firestones don't look that aggressive.  Good feedback for sure, but I want something that looks off road without a crazy high lugged mud tire.  All of the tire sites have my tire size wrong.  I confirmed I have the factory size with the owners manual, but I type in my truck and my size isn't even an option.  I also have been thinking about a bigger tire.  Tundras sit high with a lot of wheel well showing.  I want to stay with 17's as I bought new wheels in December, but want a bigger sidewall for the visual aspect.

I think the Wrangler duratrac are a really good compromise.  Not quite a full on mud tire but a little meaner than a typical AT tire.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
I've been a BFG AT guy for years.  As soon as my current tires wear out, they will go on my Silverado.  Quiet, good mileage, and really good in the dirt, mud, snow, and sand when you need it.  For me they have been the perfect balance.

Having said that, I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts on my truck right now.  We have had a really rough winter and I just spent a weekend pulling a tandem axle trailer with 6 snowmobiles on it through some pretty snowy conditions- both deep snow and icy conditions, and these tires have been really good so far.  I'll probably still go with the BFG ATs next time, but these have been really good in the snow.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
Thanks Clay. 

I spent some time on Tire Rack researching tires for her van.  The Michelin tires on it suck.  A lot.  I went and got her a set of General Altimax RT43 and in the first snow she drove it in she said its a 1000x better.  The Generals were the #1 rated tire in her group.  For my truck I'm still thinking the BFG's, but the Coopers suggested on here seem very interesting.  The Goodyears are up there as well.
~Dan