Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arkansas in Early June?  (Read 953 times)

Online naustin

• Motorcycles: '16 FJR
Arkansas in Early June?
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:04:00 AM »
So I had a work trip in early June to Kansas City, and planned to ride the bike down from MN, and then tag on 3 days of riding in Arkansas.   The work trip is long since canceled, but I saw my upcoming trip reservations pop-up on the calendar this morning.   I'm leaning toward canceling, mostly because of the the extra stress it would cause for my wife dealing with remote work and our young kids, and given all the extra complications of life these days.

Last I checked the hotel I booked was closed, but I'm sure Arkansas is reopening like most other states at this point.    I ride solo, and tend to do 10-12 hour days in the saddle stopping only for fuel.   I avoid people normally, so that part of things is not a problem.  :D

Just sucks.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Arkansas in Early June?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
Read miles' post in the covid-19 video thread, then cancel your trip.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
My .02, cancel, I think its kind of foolish right now to do any big trips to areas where you don't fully know whats going on. Its a roll of the dice and is your health worth the roll?
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline vfrmike

• Location: Myrtle Beach SC/Jacksonville Fl/Canyon Lake Tx/Cloudcroft NM
  • Motorcycles: 19 Street Scrambler, 80 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 09:43:08 AM »
Sorry if I step on anyone's toes.  I would go, in fact I'm about to embark on a trip to Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.  Covid19 IMO is a hoax and I refuse to fear my government when it was meant to be the other way around.  If someone wants to hide sobeit--just don't tell me I have to live in other's fear.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
Social distancing while on a solo bike trip would be a very easy thing to do.

Apparently though, you can safely shop at Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot, but a solo motorcycle trip is very dangerous. Stay home and go to Walmart.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »
If you can travel without interacting with many people, then why not? Of course, the way you phrased your original post, I think I'd suggest that you stay home with your family  :augie:

Covid19 IMO is a hoax

I am curious to hear why you think that, but not here. Come on over to the Conspiracy Thread and share!
http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6622.0
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
Probably safe to travel under those conditions provided you don’t experience a mechanical problem that requires you to interact with a lot of people, get pulled over for a traffic stop in a state you are passing through that has a stay at home order, or God forbid, need medical treatment at a hospital that has a load of Covid patients.  All low risk scenarios.  We do know couples who chose to travel to places that were reporting very low rates of infections, and only one of them got Covid.

Personally, I’d continue to hide out at home, but this is America, and you are free to choose.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »
Hey guys - I appreciate your response, but take it to the Conspiracy Theory thread, please.

I'll be removing those somewhat non-helpful last comments.  C:-)
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
Covid19 IMO is a hoax

I am curious to hear why you think that, but not here. Come on over to the Conspiracy Thread and share!
http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6622.0

Hey guys - I appreciate your response, but take it to the Conspiracy Theory thread, please.

I'll be removing those somewhat non-helpful last comments.  C:-)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's enough ire on the Conspiracy Theory and the two Covid related threads, please lets not spread the feuding around to the rest of the forum.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:16:20 PM by Baxter »
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
Well, the thing about adding stress to your wife would be the only reason I would consider cancelling, but I’m certainly not going to tell anyone else what to do in this situation.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
So I had a work trip in early June to Kansas City, and planned to ride the bike down from MN, and then tag on 3 days of riding in Arkansas.   The work trip is long since canceled, but I saw my upcoming trip reservations pop-up on the calendar this morning.   I'm leaning toward canceling, mostly because of the the extra stress it would cause for my wife dealing with remote work and our young kids, and given all the extra complications of life these days.

Last I checked the hotel I booked was closed, but I'm sure Arkansas is reopening like most other states at this point.    I ride solo, and tend to do 10-12 hour days in the saddle stopping only for fuel.   I avoid people normally, so that part of things is not a problem.  :D

Just sucks.

IMHO, you answered your own question.  Don't make your family resent your motorcycle.   ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 12:37:17 PM »

Just sucks.

IMHO, you answered your own question.  Don't make your family resent your motorcycle.   ;)

This ^^^
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online naustin

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

Just sucks.

This ^^^

Yep.   I just canceled the hotel reservation.  Sucks -- but there will be another day.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »
If Arkansas is anything like WV you'll have no problems. We're finding that most places in this area are open and welcome the business.

I'm in the live and let live camp, and I won't live in fear.

However, the 3 of us that are traveling together all had our wives blessing to go, so there's that.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
Aside from the family concerns, I would go assuming that hotels are open and you have a plan for food (take out, cook in, whatever). I had a really good time on my 2008 trip to Eureka Springs for the National and would really like to revisit that loop. My hope was do that this June for my 60th birthday, but vacation with the wife and my son moving back to Pittsburgh that month have complicated plans.

I'm in the camp that believes most of us (70-80%) are going to get the virus at some point in the near future (year-ish). Most people will be fine. Old/sick people may die. And even a few statistical outlier examples like Mile's friend (RIP) will die (young, healthy). I figure your fate is your fate and you can't control it short of self-isolation.

If the Kung Flu is my demise, so be it. I'm not going to live my life in fear of a virus that I have a massive chance of surviving when (not if) I get it. I know it's real. I also know nearly 95+% (perhaps even 99+%) of the people that get it, survive it. And I'm approaching the higher risk age groups. I've raised a family of well-adjusted, productive kids. I've had a good career that is winding down. My contributions to society are pretty much over. I'm expendable. Roll the dice. No one gets out alive.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:18:51 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
Most of Missouri and especially the Lake of the Ozarks, is open for tourists. In fact, two weeks ago was the busiest I've ever seen this area outside of a holiday. The lake area only has about 60,000 residents living year round, but on the holiday weekends we can hit close to 1,000,000 residents and tourists.

For those who are on Facebook, here's a quick 30 minute time lapse I did that was from 11:15 to 11:45 in the morning - not a normally busy time on the lake.

https://www.facebook.com/marchaycook/posts/10221700497852154

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »
In case you've never been there, that route you have laid out is ideal. You are in for a real treat. Make sure you eventually go.

Online naustin

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
In case you've never been there, that route you have laid out is ideal. You are in for a real treat. Make sure you eventually go.

I haven't been before.   Thanks for the vote of confidence, I spent a lot of time on the route!    Its the next overnight trip I'm going to take, one way or the other.   :bigok:

Online FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 04:04:53 PM »

I’ll agree. I’ve ridden all those roads many times. Push Mountain (321) is a lot of fun.

Also note... any signs that show 15 MPH or lower for curves are very accurate. If I remember correctly, that one route has a few of them and maybe even a 10 MPH suggested curve.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »
I'm saving that route.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »
I'm saving that route.
I saved it yesterday; for 2021.   The outlook is too uncertain to make plans just yet for this year.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online naustin

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »
Attempting to attach .gpx files

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
That upload was sweet. 

The kml opens perfectly in maps.me  From there I can send it to basecamp, personalize it & export it to my GPS.  You the best.   Sometime next year....

Online naustin

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 08:05:51 AM »
That upload was sweet. 

The kml opens perfectly in maps.me  From there I can send it to basecamp, personalize it & export it to my GPS.  You the best.   Sometime next year....

Glad it worked for you.   I exported it all from Basecamp on the most recent Map release. :bigok:

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »
Thanks so much for the GPX files. I have my routes from the 2008 National tucked away in Basecamp and I suspect we cover similar paths. That part of the world has excellent riding for sure.

There is also some good stuff just north over the border as well. If you need to head east, 160 is a fine choice.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »

I’ll agree. I’ve ridden all those roads many times. Push Mountain (321) is a lot of fun.

Also note... any signs that show 15 MPH or lower for curves are very accurate. If I remember correctly, that one route has a few of them and maybe even a 10 MPH suggested curve.

123 from Mt. Judea to Hagarville is my favorite.

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 08:06:50 AM »
Just got back from a 3 day trip, home to Eureka Springs, then to Hot Springs, then back home.

Restaurants open (except fast food dine in), hotels open, with lots of masks in use. Roads still twisty and fun. We didn't have to interact with that many people. Rural counties don't have too many cases. We stayed out of the touristy/populated areas.

Great trip!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »
Excellent.  Nice work!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Jay547

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »
Just got back from a 3 day trip, home to Eureka Springs, then to Hot Springs, then back home.

Restaurants open (except fast food dine in), hotels open, with lots of masks in use. Roads still twisty and fun. We didn't have to interact with that many people. Rural counties don't have too many cases. We stayed out of the touristy/populated areas.

Great trip!

I just checked my messages. Nope, no invite.  :P

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »

Leaving Sunday morning for a 6 day trip to the Texas Hill Country. Will be doing most of the fun roads down there, and hiking in the state parks. Consider yourself invited.   ;D

Offline Jay547

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »

Leaving Sunday morning for a 6 day trip to the Texas Hill Country. Will be doing most of the fun roads down there, and hiking in the state parks. Consider yourself invited.   ;D

Sounds fun.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »

I know nothing about Tx Hill Country except that it's supposed to have some good riding. If you get a chance, could you post info about "most of the fun roads" for future reference. I'm toying with the idea of maybe riding to the COTA MotoGP race (if it happens) and include all that Arkansas goodness on the way.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline vfrmike

• Location: Myrtle Beach SC/Jacksonville Fl/Canyon Lake Tx/Cloudcroft NM
  • Motorcycles: 19 Street Scrambler, 80 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 07:29:11 AM »
Currently in the hill country and yes some good riding but it is hot in the afternoon, get in the riding early and all is good.  Twisted sisters 335, 336 and 337 are pretty famous and are good and most always patrol free.  Guadalupe River Road has a heavy police presence, especially on weekend (bumper to bumper traffic), week day no traffic but still heavily patrolled.  If around Austin, traffic is terrible and best avoided by roads around it. Hill country is my favorite area in Texas, Shiner Bock, brisket, and sweepers--what's not to like.