Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When will we consider covid 'over'?  (Read 2422 times)

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
Re: When will we consider covid 'over'?
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
But the risk is not the same for everyone, everywhere. We know for a fact that certain people have more of a risk than others because of various factors....overall health, age, location, etc.  Should Required behavior be based on the worst case and highest risk, or something else?  Should the rules for all be based on what is dangerous for the most vulnerable? Should the rules be the same everywhere, or should people in the most effected areas take extra precautions?

In addition, the risk can be reduced even further by certain behaviors.  So IMO behavior should be based on the actual risk and not just the possible risk, and behavior should be a compromise between actual need and actions taken to reduce the risk. 

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2020, 11:39:19 AM »

However by drinking and riding w/o a helmet you answer many questions. Actually I've done so but it was many decades ago when I felt death was for others. I paid a hefty price that lives with me still. Perhaps that influences my choices today.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. your opinion differs from mine based on experience.  as for the virus I am much more likely to catch if from my ICU nurse wife than a stranger. so, once again my circumstances are different than yours.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2020, 11:41:33 AM »
But the risk is not the same for everyone, everywhere. We know for a fact that certain people have more of a risk than others because of various factors....overall health, age, location, etc.  Should Required behavior be based on the worst case and highest risk, or something else?  Should the rules for all be based on what is dangerous for the most vulnerable? Should the rules be the same everywhere, or should people in the most effected areas take extra precautions?

In addition, the risk can be reduced even further by certain behaviors.  So IMO behavior should be based on the actual risk and not just the possible risk, and behavior should be a compromise between actual need and actions taken to reduce the risk.

exactly!
anyone who has experienced the results of what can go wrong in my workplace (powerline const. and maint) would most likely not recommend the career path, yet here I am.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
I have never been drinking and riding without a helmet. In my much younger years I used to get quite drunk and ride, but NEVER without a helmet!  :angry: :gerg: :nono:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2020, 11:47:03 AM »
to be safe I don't do wheelies and obey the speed limit in that case.  ;)

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2020, 12:10:19 PM »
I have never been drinking and riding without a helmet. In my much younger years I used to get quite drunk and ride, but NEVER without a helmet!  :angry: :gerg: :nono:

Yeah, me too, and today I feel naked without full kit of pants, gloves, boots , jacket, etc. 

But occasionally I ride around the block without a helmet just to listen to that engine while.

And every now & then, I have a beer with lunch while out riding.  But never without a helmet

Why take unnecessary risks?
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
Typical.

You guys take a global pandemic thread and turn it into a motorcycle thread...

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
Sarcasm.............the hallmark of a man with nothing to say. We'll just let it go with we disagree.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Black Hills

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
Typical.

:thumbsup:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
Sarcasm.............the hallmark of a man with nothing to say who likes a laugh or two. We'll just let it go with we disagree.

fixed it for ya, and ya that's as close as we're gonna get. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:31:12 PM by Black Hills »

Online Black Hills

« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »

Yeah, me too, and today I feel naked without full kit of pants, gloves, boots , jacket, etc. 

But occasionally I ride around the block without a helmet just to listen to that engine while.

And every now & then, I have a beer with lunch while out riding.  But never without a helmet

it is crazy how vulnerable you feel without gear. to be realistic it's only occasionally, when I've been working around the house and it getting late so my wife an I hop on the bike and ride 3 miles at 45 MPH to the edge of town to have a couple beers and split a pizza. not nearly as wild and crazy as some think.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »

it is crazy how vulnerable you feel without gear. to be realistic it's only occasionally, when I've been working around the house and it getting late so my wife an I hop on the bike and ride 3 miles at 45 MPH to the edge of town to have a couple beers and split a pizza. not nearly as wild and crazy as some think.

I can understand those issues.  I ride a half mile down to get gas once in awhile with no gear, and you truly feel naked. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »
it'll be over when people stop calling health workers "heroes" or "brave" and go back to the usual attitude.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Black Hills

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »
it'll be over when people stop calling health workers "heroes" or "brave" and go back to the usual attitude.

I agree.. personally I think we will get to that point long before it's over. It is now out there, like SARs, Ebola, etc. we may control it well enough but it will never be gone. and looking at things like measles and mumps in this day and age it will make a reappearance far too often.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »

I agree.. personally I think we will get to that point long before it's over. It is now out there, like SARs, Ebola, etc. we may control it well enough but it will never be gone. and looking at things like measles and mumps in this day and age it will make a reappearance far too often.

and  I was only semi-joking...

Oh look! A squirrel!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »

Oh look! A squirrel!

well, ya, but it's true! it will be forgotten by the masses long before people quit dying of it...

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »

Oh look! A squirrel!

well, ya, but it's true! it will be forgotten by the masses long before people quit dying of it...

doomed. doomed, I say

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2020, 06:13:30 PM »

doomed. doomed  Dewummed  DEEWWMEDED, I say
FIFY
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
It's good to be all geared up with ear plugs. And sober when riding.

I also will take short in-town trips with just a t-shirt, but I do always wear a helmet.

Online biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
It's good to be all geared up with ear plugs. And sober when riding.

I also will take short in-town trips with just a t-shirt, but I do always wear a helmet.

And gloves! It just feels weird to ride without gloves. I've done lots of short trips to the store in shorts, T shirt, sneakers with helmet and gloves. Probably looks pretty goofy to the pirates.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »
Agreed.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:43 PM »
Agreed.
Agreed that you do that too
Or that it looks goofy?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
Typical.

Best post in this whole thread!
old enough to know better

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Agreed.
Agreed that you do that too
Or that it looks goofy?

Um, both.