Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi-Fi electricity supply-PDUs  (Read 339 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Hi-Fi electricity supply-PDUs
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:41 PM »
Educate me please on power distribution blocks.

The equipment has its own electrical spur and the house has a new earth.

I have a Tacima mains conditioner which doesn't do the sound any favours, so I'm looking for a power distribution block, without conditioning.

I have come across MCRU and MS HD Power on the web.

I am a complete ignoramus about these things. Should it be shielded? Star or serial wired? Copper, silver or gold plated?

What should I be looking for in a power distribution unit? I don't want another mains conditioner, just a decent block.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: Hi-Fi electricity supply-PDUs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
Look for a UPS (not "backup" but "uninterruptible") that is "pure sine wave" for analog power delivery for your audio stuff.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »
 From the manual for my Bryston 4B power amp:

Power Conditioners
Bryston urges caution in choosing a power conditioner for your audio/video system. Large power amplifiers can draw very substantial current from the wall plug, and many so-called power conditioners can in fact hinder the supply of current by inserting resistances in series with the line cord. However, there are now power conditioners that can reduce or eliminate RF and ‘hash’ from the AC supply and may actually improve current delivery
to your system. This type of power conditioner (exemplified by Bryston BIT products) uses the energy storage in a large toroidal transformer to provide high instantaneous power and reduce
the substantial AC output resistance of the wall socket and house wiring. This resistance can be in the range of 0.5 to 1 Ohm and is typically reduced
to only a few milliohms by the power conditioner. That in turn considerably reduces voltage drop in the power line on high current surges and quite substantially increases the stability of the power line improving audio (and video) focus, precision and clarity.

That said mine is plugged into the non-battery backup side of my UPS, but it's also running at 50% capacity so I don't risk blowing the drivers in my NS1000Ms which are getting hard to find.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »
Kind of industrial/BYOBattery but that would seem to be along the lines. I got a couple of 1500 watt Unisys PSW UPSs and just got another (APC) like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779KYKLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
this sort of thing?

https://www.marc-ting.com/shop/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=4&=

That is an inverter for converting 12V DC to 230V AC.

I wouldn't fret too much over mains power unless you have noise issues. Any block that can handle the current draw will suffice.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGxlCNBg1k

Good video on why one should not use a UPS (6:10 and on)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:56:05 AM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
The digital nature of the power waves is abrupt and more of a square wave compared to analog power's sine wave nature. That's exactly why I recommend paying the extra for a "pure sine wave" UPS.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
The digital nature of the power waves is abrupt and more of a square wave compared to analog power's sine wave nature. That's exactly why I recommend paying the extra for a "pure sine wave" UPS.

Understood.  But, PSW UPS units don't adequately handle low power factor loads which would add distortion to the equation.  That's bad for listening to music. 

Until this thread, I didn't think twice about plugging my larger amps into my Panamax MR4300.  And, I just added a Parasound JC5 to my system.  So, I emailed Parasound and they replied as long as the JC5 is the only amplifier on the Panamax, I'll be fine.

For my office system, I just got two Schiit Aegir power amps and they are both plugged into the same Panamax.  I may need to reconsider this set up. 

Good thread.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:22 PM »
helpful stuff. thx

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Understood.  But, PSW UPS units don't adequately handle low power factor loads which would add distortion to the equation.  That's bad for listening to music. 

Until this thread, I didn't think twice about plugging my larger amps into my Panamax MR4300.  And, I just added a Parasound JC5 to my system.  So, I emailed Parasound and they replied as long as the JC5 is the only amplifier on the Panamax, I'll be fine.

For my office system, I just got two Schiit Aegir power amps and they are both plugged into the same Panamax.  I may need to reconsider this set up. 

Good thread.

Nice to know. I have a Schiit DAC (The Fulla 2). It's funny that when you look in the output options, it self-identifies as, "I'm Fulla Schiit".

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »
I'm now just going to buy a bog standard Olson (Mericun-must be okay) 6 gang PDU. Star wired. And then replace the mains cable for something better with a fancier mains plug.

I am just amazed that the mains supply on a hifi has such an effect on sound.