Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stupid stability control rant  (Read 4048 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Stupid stability control rant
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
New Subaru Crosstrek went out to play in the snow yesterday.  Crap tires meant that I'd be far more effective steering the rear since the front didn't react very well.
Turned off the nanny to find that the nanny doesn't turn off.  In fact, it seemed to get worse.  Why can't they just make a button to totally bypass the electronics?
I know how to drive.  I know how to drive in the snow.  Once I learn the tires and the snow, I got it.  LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Apparently, hitting the button just turns off the anti-spin function but still allows the dynamic braking stuff to work...or something.  Just as bad.  Grrrr. 
I guess if you drive like a little old lady or need the car to save you from yourself, it's a good thing. 

Oh how I miss my little Ranger. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Stupid stability control rant
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
And people make fun of me because of my disdain for doodads on bikes.  :crazy:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »

this has always been my feeling as well, Until I rode the KTM 1190 adventure. the ABS/MTC works amazingly well (once you find the setting that suits your riding style) and you can still turn it off completely if you want to. I'm pretty sure my opinion on electronics is changing ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »

this has always been my feeling as well, Until I rode the KTM 1190 adventure. the ABS/MTC works amazingly well (once you find the setting that suits your riding style) and you can still turn it off completely if you want to. I'm pretty sure my opinion on electronics is changing ;)

Exactly.  It's not the electronics per se.  It's how they are implemented.  Most cars have an OFF position that is by no means off.  Blame the gov't for mandating stability controls.

For the record our Forester will do perfect circles on it's own axis.  No electronics in 2003.   :smiley_thumb:

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »

Exactly.  It's not the electronics per se.  It's how they are implemented.  Most cars have an OFF position that is by no means off.  Blame the gov't for mandating stability controls.

For the record our Forester will do perfect circles on it's own axis.  No electronics in 2003.   :smiley_thumb:

I have somewhat learned to drive around the electronics in my ram 1500. you can do nice slides when it is snowy, but you have to have very precise throttle control as just a little too much spin and it tries to correct itself. the off button on it does shut most of it off.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
You couldn't completely disable it in my BMW Z4 either. Very bothersome when you want to get some sideways action. The damn car always straighten itself out.  :-\
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »

I have somewhat learned to drive around the electronics in my ram 1500. you can do nice slides when it is snowy, but you have to have very precise throttle control as just a little too much spin and it tries to correct itself. the off button on it does shut most of it off.

I learned the truck too.  With the system turned off, the nanny will leave you alone till about 5K rmp.  Problem is that 5K rpm is about 3/4 of the way through a nice slide on dry roads. 
I miss the Volvo too.  My V70R had a "reduced function" setting then a series of push and hold tasks that would result in a "DSTC OFF". 
I was hoping for the same on the XV but apparently I'll have to pull a fuse to achieve that.  Scurred to pull the fuse since I got the extended warranty.  Might be some fine print in there that would void me.
The Volvo system knew when you messed w/ the ECU even if you put it back to stock before service.  Doubt a pulled fuse would result in that but I don't think being able to drift the car is worth the risk.   GRRRR.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »

I learned the truck too.  With the system turned off, the nanny will leave you alone till about 5K rmp.  Problem is that 5K rpm is about 3/4 of the way through a nice slide on dry roads. 
I miss the Volvo too.  My V70R had a "reduced function" setting then a series of push and hold tasks that would result in a "DSTC OFF". 
I was hoping for the same on the XV but apparently I'll have to pull a fuse to achieve that.  Scurred to pull the fuse since I got the extended warranty.  Might be some fine print in there that would void me.
The Volvo system knew when you messed w/ the ECU even if you put it back to stock before service.  Doubt a pulled fuse would result in that but I don't think being able to drift the car is worth the risk.   GRRRR.

I miss my '65 Chevy Impala SS.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
I test drove a Scion FRS in a downpour a few months ago and had the same issue. Pushing traction control OFF, didn't really kill it. Turns out, I had to hold it down for 10 seconds to disable for reasons of wheelspin. Further gyrations would kill braking assists and other TC functions, but that reads like a video game cheat code (technically it IS, since it's to put it into diagnostic mode temporarily.)
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
In my Taco hitting the off button doesn't accomplish much.  However;  holding down the button while stopped turns everything off :D

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Don't know about Subarus, but our GMC trucks at work, you can turn EVERYTHING off by pressing and holding the button for several seconds.

Pressing the button 1x turns off traction control only (indicated on dash)

pressing and holding the button for 5 seconds or more shuts off traction AND stability control (indicated on dash)

What does that Mexican guy in your glovebox say? (Manuel)
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline marc11

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:02 PM »
I have a little button in my truck it reads 4x2, 4x4Hi and 4x4Lo each button has its own smiley face depending on the situation....yesterday the 4x2 had the biggest grin. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline stray cat

• Motorcycles: Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »
All that rant for what you called crap tires? Why not just get new tires?  :shrug:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 06:02:33 AM »
All that rant for what you called crap tires? Why not just get new tires?  :shrug:

Better tires will only postpone the actual problem by a tiny margin.  I think you may have missed the point of the thread. 

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »
I have found that my VWs and Audis would allow me to completely shut off the electronics to have fun in the snow.  My Nissans would not.   :-[

Now that I'm in NC, it really doesn't matter.   I actually like and miss the snow.  :mad:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.