Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cleaning a Concrete Driveway?  (Read 664 times)

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Cleaning a Concrete Driveway?
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
My concrete driveway and front walkway/steps are about 20 years old. Never been cleaned. It was sealed once about a year after it was installed. They are filthy. No doubt letting leaves and grass clippings lay on it hasn't helped.

The next door neighbor bought a pressure washer surface cleaner thing (circular, spinning pressure washer thing). He wants to do our driveway for free. He hopes to this as a side business this summer. Our concern is that the driveway has pitted areas from salt falling off the cars in the winter and we don't want to make the damage worse. He also says that he won't use any cleaners/chemicals. Just pure water and pressure.

I've researched some non-pressure washing options and they seem like a lot of manual labor (scrubbing with a deck brush) and chemicals.

Should I be concerned about damaging the driveway? It has a swirl pattern on the surface of the concrete (like plaster walls) that I don't want to destroy. Maybe a combo of chemicals and moderate (not full) pressure?

I'm sure some of you have cleaned your concrete and have some experience to share...
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: Cleaning a Concrete Driveway?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
you would be destroying an entire ecosystem.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
My concrete driveway and front walkway/steps are about 20 years old. Never been cleaned. It was sealed once about a year after it was installed. They are filthy. No doubt letting leaves and grass clippings lay on it hasn't helped.

The next door neighbor bought a pressure washer surface cleaner thing (circular, spinning pressure washer thing). He wants to do our driveway for free. He hopes to this as a side business this summer. Our concern is that the driveway has pitted areas from salt falling off the cars in the winter and we don't want to make the damage worse. He also says that he won't use any cleaners/chemicals. Just pure water and pressure.

I've researched some non-pressure washing options and they seem like a lot of manual labor (scrubbing with a deck brush) and chemicals.

Should I be concerned about damaging the driveway? It has a swirl pattern on the surface of the concrete (like plaster walls) that I don't want to destroy. Maybe a combo of chemicals and moderate (not full) pressure?

I'm sure some of you have cleaned your concrete and have some experience to share...
Depends on how powerful the washer is, and how the damage is, if spalled it can peel it with a powerful water spray. any loose stuff will fly,it really depend on how deep and if the area around the damage is tight yet or not. Power washers have a lot more balls than we think in truth
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:02:59 PM »
you would be destroying an entire ecosystem.

Out.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »
Doug posted a device that he bought on amazon that worked for him. I purchased one and it does a great job on my concrete driveway and a country mile of decks.
Here:
http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=5694.msg170026#msg170026

I have used it for 2 years and it works like a champ if you have a pressure washer. I can't comment on if it will damage the seal.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Yup, cleaned our walk last summer and it came out looking better than new with just a power washer.  Assuming the concrete is in good shape you shouldn't damage anything.  The circular cleaner attachments just make it more idiot proof as far as keeping the same distance and avoiding streaks.  However, you can't control the pressure if you get to a sketchy spot like you can by just raising your wand. 

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Doug posted a device that he bought on amazon that worked for him. I purchased one and it does a great job on my concrete driveway and a country mile of decks.
Here:
http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=5694.msg170026#msg170026

I have used it for 2 years and it works like a champ if you have a pressure washer. I can't comment on if it will damage the seal.

I'm so happy this worked for you, Eric.

100% this.  I purchased one and used my 2200 or 2500 (I believe 2500) Honda powerwasher and this disk is magic.  It takes little time and effort and just gets the job done. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »
Believe it or not Yamaha makes one.  8)

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
The neighbor has (I think) a 20" version from Northern Tool plus his pressure washer to connect to it. Maybe I can let him have a go at the front walk (no salt pitting) and see what it does.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »
I'll third the above as well.  You will be amazed at how much dirt comes up.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 05:51:54 PM »
Believe it or not Yamaha makes one.  8)

I assume you mean the power washer, not the disk thing?
A man with no sig

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »
Had our concrete walks done last October for the first time in 30 years.  They look like new. 

A few chips about the size of #2 piece of gravel came out.  I should fill them in with some poly patch.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Virginian

• Contributor

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
Well, I'll be damned.

Although, at the moment, maybe we all are.   ;)

:rolf:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 10:52:31 AM »
..... He wants to do our driveway for free.... Our concern is that the driveway has pitted areas from salt falling off the cars in the winter and we don't want to make the damage worse....

It's already damaged. He said the magic words-for free. How bad could he make it?
old enough to know better

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
The neighbor was bored on Sunday (warm and sunny), so I had him do the front walk and steps. They turned out great, like new. So we moved the cars and let have a go at the driveway. It turned out nice as well, but not quite as good as the front walk due to all the traffic/abuse it gets. The pitted areas (salt damage) didn't get any worse, so that was great. What a river of mud got lifted up by that surface cleaner. Amazing amount of grunge and dirt was removed. Overall, it was an amazing difference. It looks SO much better now.

Now we need to seal it while it's clean. Any suggestions on what to use to seal it? We're thinking some kind of spray on stuff using a little garden sprayer thing.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Cleaning a Concrete Driveway?
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:59 AM »
I use Thomson water seal
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »
I got some sealer from Sherwin-Williams. It comes in 5 gallon cans and is pricey, but works awesome! I used a paint roller on a long handle to save my back and apply it evenly. It's been on my driveway for through four rough Upstate New York winters and has held up well, even with me snow blowing right to the surface. The rain still beads up nicely and it looks kinda cool if you sweep them off with a push broom. I tried Thompson's on a small walkway and it sucked-didn't last.
old enough to know better

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 12:07:23 AM »
saw this and thought of the thread...

sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries