Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Folding motorcycle trailer input needed.  (Read 844 times)

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Folding motorcycle trailer input needed.
« on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
I'm debating getting one.  As a base line, here's a wide, folding loading ramp I can get from Amazon. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D1VU5OK/?coliid=I32BMXJBDRKI2B&colid=O6UAJ0EU8IZ1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
It's $275 and just under 12 foot long.  Doing the math, it'd be a 17 to 18 degree incline when in place.
This should be wide enough for me to "ride" on and off unassisted as 50" wide should be plenty to remain stable if I need to put feet down.

Harbor Freight has this folding trailer for $350, but it's unfinished.  I'd have to complete it with parts to make it for towing a motorcycle.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

Finally, I found this folding motorcycle trailer.  It's $995 before shipping, but it's all inclusive.
https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI67TzpoKQ6AIVr4VaBR3zvAOFEAQYASABEgJLM_D_BwE

I don't know if there are good, less expensive FOLDING motorcycle trailers out there.

Thoughts?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Folding motorcycle trailer input needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
I have that ramp. Love it. Light and strong.

I got it about 3-4 years ago and one sale. Maybe keep looking around for it, but then again, maybe the price has just gone up that much. I paid well under $200 for it, shipped.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline chornbe

• Contributor

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
yeah, the HF one w/ the bigger capacity is only 339 (use link near bottom of the trailer thread chris linked to).  if you can find the coupon for the 1100 lb one, it's probably way cheaper than that right now.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Someone on another forum suggested just renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer when I need one.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
Storing a trailer, ANY trailer, kinda sucks.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »
I have a few thoughts on this

1. You own a motorcycle and a truck = you need ramps
2. You own a motorcycle, no truck but have a car with tow hitch and have space to store a trailer = get the trailer.

3. You own a motorcycle, and want to bring it places but don't think riding is enjoyable = sell them and buy a boat  :nuts:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
More and more often, the nearest brand dealer is further and further away, and service might take more than a day. 

Just sayin'.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
Plus, loading *ANY* bike in the back of *ANY* pickup sucks. There's zero other way to describe it. I'll never do it again if I can help it.

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 03:56:26 AM »
Plus, loading *ANY* bike in the back of *ANY* pickup sucks. There's zero other way to describe it. I'll never do it again if I can help it.

I was hoping the ramps from Amazon would make it easy to ride/waddle up and back unassisted.  I just don’t trust my balance to try that with just a single or two independent ramps.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »

I was hoping the ramps from Amazon would make it easy to ride/waddle up and back unassisted. 

Until the first time you put your foot down through the rungs.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 06:06:54 AM »
Recheck your math on the ramp. The one you linked is 7'11" not 12'. If you have the cash, a kendon trailer is the way to go.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »
Until the first time you put your foot down through the rungs.

The rungs are close enough together that you have to be a certain kind of clumsy to get it done, but yes, it's *absolutely* possible.

I was hoping the ramps from Amazon would make it easy to ride/waddle up and back unassisted. 

It is never not a freak show. Ever.

Recheck your math on the ramp. The one you linked is 7'11" not 12'. If you have the cash, a kendon trailer is the way to go.

Heed Gary on this; they're 8 feet long, not 12, and in a pickup, every bit of length helps to get over that hump at the top, especially if your pickup has any extra elevation from being a 4x4, or bigger tires, etc. I just won't do it any more without like four people and no other alternatives. It only takes one bike falling off to change your mind forever on the lunacy of doing it. Get the Kendon or the Harbor Freight if you need to store it smaller. I can show you how to deck the Harbor Freight so it continues to fold up properly. It will NOT fold up properly with 3/4" plywood on top of the bed. You'll actually want to deck it, at least in part, as part of the assembly.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »
I can't imagine loading anything bigger than the XTs into a truck. Even Kermit with the assistance of a giant was hairball. I would totally get a trailer if you can store it. I have the space so that's where my brain goes automatically.  The more I haul and strap stuff the more I stay away from risk and inconvenience. I'd get the HF trailer, buy some Cargobuckle straps, install some bionic tiedowns and a wheel chock and be done with it.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:48 AM »

Generally agree, but if you are going to do it, this is the way to go:

https://www.motoprohq.com/truck-system

I looked at this, and the design is absolutely brilliant.

I did put my GS in the back of my F150 4X4 by myself. It was sketchy, and no good way to tie it down.Did not like.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »

I don't see the benefit.  It looks like it's only for dirt bikes.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »

I don't see the benefit.  It looks like it's only for dirt bikes.

And that has nothing to do with the loading which is the hard part.  That's only the holding it there.  There's not an easy way to get a big bike into a truck unless you have a ditch or a hill which puts the tailgate on the ground...  at both starting and ending points.  :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22KfEiqAII

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
I just use a foot wide aluminum ramp, ride up it with the dirt bike on level ground and ride the SD or adventure in after backing my pickup into a ditch. never had any problems? The big bikes are a bit awkward as the pickup wiggles around a little, but your feet are only unable to touch ground or tailgate for a couple feet so it works out.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 04:43:57 AM »
I don’t have land formations to make that work.  I have a guy in Knoxville who would let me “borrow” his folding trailer....as he hasn’t used it in years.  Still, the U-Haul idea makes a lot more sense for as often as I’ve ever needed a trailer.  I bought one for $500 years ago, put $500 into cleaning and repainting it, watched it revert back as it sat unused outside for several years and sold it for $500.  Not once was it used as intended.  When the situation arose, I was nowhere near it and had to rent a pickup truck.

Buying a trailer only makes sense if you WILL use it from time to time each year.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 05:36:09 AM »
At one point I had a local supermarket that had a loading ramp I could access. It was a 1 foot step down into the truck bed, but you have to be able to get the bike there.
 The rack thing I posted was not for actual loading but holding it in place when there. If you have a drop in bed liner even dirt bikes will shift, and its easy to bend the front wall of the bed when you cinch them down. I was looking for future dual sport use to travel to the other side of the state.
Where am I?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 07:15:43 AM »
At one point I had a local supermarket that had a loading ramp I could access. It was a 1 foot step down into the truck bed, but you have to be able to get the bike there.
 The rack thing I posted was not for actual loading but holding it in place when there. If you have a drop in bed liner even dirt bikes will shift, and its easy to bend the front wall of the bed when you cinch them down. I was looking for future dual sport use to travel to the other side of the state.

Yep, and for that reason the bed of my truck has a rubber mat instead of a slippy plastic liner.  Best mod I ever did to that truck. 

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Yeah, I have my sons (18 and 23) to help getting bikes in and out of the truck bed.  If the truck is on level ground, an Airhead will high center at the breakover point.  So I'll have the kids lift the bottom of the ramp while I guide the bike from inside the truck bed.  If I can back the truck up (rear wheels) against a curb, an Airhead will clear.

That said, I've only had to rescue my riding bike twice in the eight years I've had it.  THAT said, both times were in the last year.......

Most of my 'bike in truck' time has been moving the non-running project bikes around.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »

No more high centering

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 06:21:24 AM »
There’s a Kendon in my garage that has been used about six time in the 5 years I’ve had it.  Its not leaving my possession until I have no use for it ever again.  I did the "load the bikes" thing in an F-150 pickup for a few years and hated it every time it happened because it took three of us to do it.  A BMW GS is an ungainly beast to push up a narrow ramp IMO.  Hook up the trailer, easy to load a bike and tie it down solo. 
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 07:02:42 AM »

No more high centering

I love the look of those but I bet they're still monstrous when folded and seriously impractical for carrying point to point.  Well, in my world which is half quad carrying now anyway.  I guess w/ just a GS, there'd be plenty of room. 

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
There’s a Kendon in my garage that has been used about six time in the 5 years I’ve had it.  Its not leaving my possession until I have no use for it ever again.  I did the "load the bikes" thing in an F-150 pickup for a few years and hated it every time it happened because it took three of us to do it.  A BMW GS is an ungainly beast to push up a narrow ramp IMO.  Hook up the trailer, easy to load a bike and tie it down solo.

Now I know were I can borrow one! Score!
Where am I?

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »

Kind of like boats.  You don't need to OWN a boat.  You just need a friend who owns a boat.   8)

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

:wave:
--Tom