Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4-day southern Utah ride with my 13-year-old daughter  (Read 329 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
4-day southern Utah ride with my 13-year-old daughter
« on: June 02, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »
A week ago Thursday I took Amara and we rode the Goldwing down to my brother's condo in St. George for a motorcycle trip with John and two of his acquaintances. Amara was a rockstar and was cheerful and happy and accommodating the whole time, and I absolutely love her.

They had delicious minestrone soup and fresh bread waiting for us and we chatted with them about this crazy time we're living through.

Anyway the next day we met Brent and John, two doctors my brother was familiar with from work and church, and we all rode the back way over to Hurricane and through Zion and up to Red Canyon and Bryce and up highway 12 to Torrey for the night. Zion was as empty as I've seen it in the past 10 years or so, which was nice, and was stunning as always. Bryce is beautiful but I think the overlook we went to (at the end) was not as impressive as the one we usually go to, which I think is closer to the entrance. Cedar Breaks is more beautiful to my eye, though it's not as huge and expansive as Bryce Canyon. The restaurants we visited for the trip were handling the COVID rules pretty well, with tables spaced and employees wearing masks etc.

It was fun to chat with Brent about time living in Porto, Portugal a couple of years before I was there. It was fun to hear the cities and words pronounced in proper portagee.

I'd had my other brother Daryl help me install (by help me, I mean do everything himself) the Sena bluetooth speakers and intercom into my and Amara's helmets in time for the trip, so Amara could listen to Harry Potter on the ride and we could talk when necessary without sign language or yelling or gesticulating. Although I had been reluctant to use this type of electronic intervention when on motorcycle rides because much of the point of motorcycling is the solitude and the chance to think and reflect and ponder and work through problems in my head and not have to listen to people yammer, Amara used the intercom sparingly, actually less than I did, and it was nice to be able to say a few words or point out a golden eagle or a volcano or an elk or ask her if she was warm enough, etc.

We stayed with John at a hotel in Torrey on Friday night, went out for pizza as Cafe Diablo has permanently closed, and the next day we rode a few miles down the road to Capitol Reef National Park and rode the "scenic drive" and saw the amazing views. Last time I was there was with my 18-year-old daughter a couple of years ago and the washes were all flooded and I'm still finding red sand in my boots and all over the inside of the bike LOL. But this time it was just lovely and 60-70 degrees and sunny. We rode up over the "Fremont cutoff" as my dad used to call it, which is UT72 up over the summit and down to I-70, and we rode into Salina for fuel (the other John was on a Harley Sportster "Forty-Eight" which has a tiny 2-ish gallon fuel tank and we weren't exactly riding in an economical fashion. We had a nice Mexican food lunch and then rode back up the canyon a ways to Gooseberry Road, which has only been paved for a few years, and which goes up over 10,500 feet and then down to Fishlake.

Temps were 32 by my thermometer at the top (John's said 28) and I was very glad to have brought a heated jacket liner for Amara, who apart from her legs and toes being a little chilly for a while was happy and had a great time. The Aspens and firs at the top were frosted and looked like solid ice, like something out of Disney's Frozen or something. Amazing, and I'd never seen anything like it. The road was mostly dry and clear, though the snowplows had apparently given up on keeping both lanes open, and we were lucky to not meet any traffic coming the other way during the narrow sections between walls of snow.

Fishlake is gorgeous and I'd never been there before. The last attempt was on a brother's ride a few years ago and halfway up Huntington canyon I'd diagnosed a failed belt in my rear tire and limped home before it blew up proper-like. We rode down through Koosharem, another town I'd never been through, and then down to Panguitch, over around Panguitch Lake and to Cedar Breaks, which was cold and blowy but with beautiful patches of snow against the red rocks and blue sky and green foliage and it was like paradise. I love that place and it reminds me of Pemaquid Point in Maine, and possibly is what my sister might call a "touchpoint" where the physical earth and the spiritual realm come together.

We rode down Cedar Canyon and said goodbye to Brent and little John, and then we rode with John Davis down to their condo again, and had homemade burgers and Zapp's chips and talked with the family and Amara and I watched Minority Report together.

In the morning we went with J&L to Pine Valley cemetery to visit their son's grave. He died a year ago. We dug a hole and planted some desert-friendly plants and talked and laughed about him shooting a dime-sized group right through Barney the dinosaur's head at a scout camp rifle merit badge event. Pine Valley is absolutely beautiful.

John tried to convince me to ride back up 89 but we'd seen a bit of it a couple times on the ride and I wanted to keep Amara warm (it had gotten very windy and cool) so we rode up the back way through Veyo and then up to Minersville, Milford, and Delta. Man, that was a mistake. NOTHING out there. Actually the way up to Minersville was fine and beautiful with some curves through the foothills, but from there on it was a vast wasteland. Not even sagebrush for a lot of it, and a straaaaaaaaaight road. We kept looking for a restaurant but it was Sunday and every small town looked like a ghost town, with boarded up businesses on main street and nothing living except gas stations and bars. Very sad and depressing.

I knew there was a pretty good Mexican joint in Delta, having eaten there a few years back on my way back from Oregon when I bought my ZZR1200, but it had closed down for good. Small town America seems to be dying and it makes me sad.

I had wanted to find a place to eat before we got home but Amara decided we should just go straight home and have dinner at the in-laws'. I think she was starting to get tired of sitting on a motorcycle, which after 4 long days in the saddle I noticed as well. I've been on 5-6 day tours but about day 4-5 is when I start to go, yeah, I could use a break. I have no idea how my brother and the other Iron Butt loonies stand it going for 11 days, 23/7.

Anyway we got sprinkled on just a little on our way into town but other than that the whole ride was absolutely gorgeous weather, 60s-70s in the valleys, 50s up in the high country (other than low 30s over Gooseberry road), and clear. Amara finished Harry Potter book 3 and got most of the way through book 4, and had a great time. She was cheerful and bubbly and didn't complain once. Yep, I'm keeping this one.

My hovercraft is full of eels

Online 1KPerDay

Re: 4-day southern Utah ride with my 13-year-old daughter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
Above pics: Amara ready to go, learning the medicinal value of Red Bull Peach, and enjoying Bryce Canyon overlook.

Below pics: Highway 12 and the "hog's back."

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »
More from Beaver mountain/Highway 12 scenic overlooks

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
fantastic!
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:01 PM »
Pizza in Torrey, Capitol Reef, Fishlake National Forest overlooks down into the beautiful badlands and Henry mountains (I think)

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
More Fishlake summit overlook, Mexican food in Salina, Gooseberry Road summit

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:12:07 PM »
Snow on top, frosted Aspens, cool old mercantile store somewhere near Oak Creek

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »
 Cedar Breaks best overlook and assorted other pics

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:14:12 PM »
last pics

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »
Nice. Enjoy these times. I miss it - she's 23 now.

Offline Prubert

• Contributor
  • I'm HUGE in Japan
  • Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
Awesome!

I’m hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway with my 13-year old daughter next week, this will be her first big trip.  2200 miles planned over 7 days.  Hope we have as good of a time as y’all.

Woot
Prubert
‘13 KTM SM-T
Waukesha, WI

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »
Great photos.   Awesome pizza, making me hungry.   I like the photo with the sunlit shaft that looks like a waterfall.

Thanks for posting. 
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
She will remember and talk about this for the rest of her life. Good parenting.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »
That is fantastic.
My daughter just said to me that it has been 7 years since we did that trip to Hershey Park, PA, the long way on the Buell Ulysses.  We had a great time.  She was 13. 
Thankfully, we had the Senas so we could talk to each other the whole time.  It was so nice to hear her say how much fun she had on our only motorcycle trip together.  Great times that she will not soon forget. Congrats Dad!!!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
 :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »
Love it.  I was planning on taking my daughter down the BRP. Thats on hold for a bit.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
Excellent!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Making great memories! Job well done, Dad.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
That looks like a great time! How nice that the two of you could spend quality time together  :bigok:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 01:32:24 PM »
It's a rare moment when I ever have any kind of regrets about not having kids. 

thanks....jerk
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
It's a rare moment when I ever have any kind of regrets about not having kids. 

thanks....jerk
That's okay... I have enough for both of us ;)