Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Video  (Read 25546 times)

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
Re: COVID-19 Video
« Reply #900 on: July 10, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
We may not get to visit this year. The border is closed to all un-essential traffic until Aug 31 but may remain closed until 2021  :(

The US-Canada border may remain closed until 2021 – RCI
The Canada-United States border will be closed to non-essential traffic until August 31 to contain Covid 19.
https://www.en24news.com/en/2020/07/the-us-canada-border-may-remain-closed-until-2021-rci.html
Ride safe!

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #901 on: July 10, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
Polite and prudent. Go Canada!
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2020, 09:58:37 PM »
70,000 new cases today in the USA. Here's how I feel:

I'm standing on the edge of the ocean, let's say the freezing cold waters of the North Atlantic. Out in the water a mile or so away is a huge platform full of people, Americans, some of whom are my friends and all of them people I might have met or could meet in the future. They're waitresses in restaurants or gas station staff or cashiers at the grocery stores where we buy our food or the lady who registers us at the rv campground or the ticket taker at the museum or aquarium or the State trooper who gave me directions or or......
What are they doing? They're jumping off the platform into the water without life jackets into the ocean with them. Effectively they're committing suicide. But some of them are dragging others involuntarily with them. They're dying in front of my eyes.

I can't do anything. I can't help. I'm sad. We are citizens of different countries but that doesn't matter. They're people.

That's how I feel.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #903 on: July 11, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »

That's how I feel.
:thumbsup:
A sad, pitiable analogy.
And all we can do is scream encouragement into the icy wind.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #904 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
A friend of mine in Seattle recently said it was like getting into a car with a drunk driver. Even worse: in the trunk of that car: completely helpless to the stupidity of the driver.

From over here, I am torn: I have no sympathy for drunk drivers and wouldn't be bothered if they wrapped themselves around a tree or drove off a cliff. But I am also afraid for my friend in the trunk, and hope that things end well for him. :shrug:  I look at the wilfully ignorant people in the US and just shake my head in frustration and sorrow.

I have never appreciated living in Europe more than I do now.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #905 on: July 11, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
“Me and my buddies all got lifetimes here” or at least that’s how I recall the lyrics go.   

Kinda like serving out your term on home confinement.   

I have never missed EU culture as much as I do this summer.  If I have to explain it, ... never mind. 

National Darwinism. 

[EDIT]

Interesting op-ed perspective What it is like in Europe right now from an American’s perspective.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:42:37 AM by Skee »
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #906 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:04 PM »
The controversy continues. All the Ways the Influential Hydroxychloroquine Study Was Crap

“A controversial, highly influential study involving the drug hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for covid-19—one that helped launch months of research and failed clinical trials—has now been sharply criticized within the pages of the same scientific journal that published it. The new post-publication peer review highlights a variety of serious flaws in the study and concludes that the authors were “fully irresponsible” in how they presented their findings.”
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #907 on: July 14, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »
you wouldn't believe the levels of crap from the right wing in the UK.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #908 on: July 14, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
This made me laugh and also die a little inside.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #909 on: July 14, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »

The common person in both UK and US crap seems to be Rupert Murdoch.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #910 on: July 15, 2020, 12:12:47 AM »

The common person in both UK and US crap seems to be Rupert Murdoch.

good point

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #911 on: July 15, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #912 on: July 15, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »
The information out there is sure controversial.  After reading that, I'm not sure if the AAPS needs to start self-medicating or if they should stop.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #913 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »
That's it.  I'm going to move to someplace really remote, buy a bunch of property, put up a couple gates so nobody can get near me, and only ever leave my house to go to work and back. 

tee hee hee
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #914 on: July 15, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
I am so done with... people. And the media. And the politicians.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #915 on: July 15, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
meanwhile here in SD it's business as usual..  :-\
Apparently we don’t deal with quarantine we’ll:   https://www.kotatv.com/app/2020/07/15/south-dakotans-spent-468-hours-drunk-during-lockdown-survey-finds/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:59:25 PM by Black Hills »
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #916 on: July 15, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
I’m not seeing a problem with that. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #917 on: July 16, 2020, 02:07:27 AM »

Online Skee

• Contributor

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #920 on: July 16, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
With how the virus is mutating, unless a vaccine affects something common to all strains, odds are it will be like the flu shot...trying to compensate for last year's flu bugs.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #921 on: July 16, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
I thought that was the strategy behind developing an mRNA vaccine instead of a traditional vaccine.  Really nothing to worry about, if we cut testing by 75%, remove the data from the CDC, and follow that with a proper dosing regimen of hydroxyclorquine, the problem will go away like it never existed. 

I know, I know, it’s that subtle touch of cynicism that gets me into trouble every time. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #922 on: July 16, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »
With how the virus is mutating, unless a vaccine affects something common to all strains, odds are it will be like the flu shot...trying to compensate for last year's flu bugs.

flu vaccines are a bit more sophisticated than that...

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #923 on: July 16, 2020, 01:27:27 PM »
I thought that was the strategy behind developing an mRNA vaccine instead of a traditional vaccine.  Really nothing to worry about, if we cut testing by 75%, remove the data from the CDC, and follow that with a proper dosing regimen of hydroxyclorquine, the problem will go away like it never existed. 

I know, I know, it’s that subtle touch of cynicism that gets me into trouble every time.

Stop being cynical and endorse grocery products.

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #924 on: July 16, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »

:lol:
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #925 on: July 16, 2020, 07:56:43 PM »
Explains their stunning ~20% effectiveness.  Hope the next vaccine they push works better for all our sake's. :-[

flu vaccines are a bit more sophisticated than that...
[/quote]
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #926 on: July 16, 2020, 10:45:14 PM »

Also  :lol:
A man with no sig

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #927 on: July 17, 2020, 10:03:29 AM »
English Pub Installs an Electric Fence to Maintain Social Distancing

Johnny McFadden, landlord of The Star Inn in Cornwall, England, installed an electric fence in his pub to maintain a safe distance between pub goers and his staff. McFadden devised the solution after previous efforts to stop crowding around the bar using floor tape proved unsuccessful, he told Cornwall Live.

Though the newly installed fence is fully wired and operable, McFadden says he doesn’t usually turn it on. When asked if people are still deterred after enjoying a few drinks, he answered, “You’d be surprised. People keep well away from it. It’s the fear factor.”

Some have voiced concerns about the potential liability of an electric fence in a pub, including McFadden’s insurance broker. But McFadden has been undeterred by that concern, explaining: “We’re in a rural community, everybody knows what an electric fence is.”

While this measure might have a — literally — shocking effect on customers, the electric fence seems to be doing to trick. It “keeps the sheep away; it keeps the people away,” McFadden says, and it has allowed him to keep his pub open, with social distancing maintained.

Meanwhile, back in the USA...

Task force report says 18 states in coronavirus 'red zone' should roll back reopening  An unpublished document prepared for the White House coronavirus task force and obtained by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit newsroom, recommends that 18 states in the coronavirus "red zone" for cases should roll back reopening measures amid surging cases. 
The report goes on to reject the idea of installing electric fences in bars.  Apparently, many of those Americans who don't understand how communicable diseases are spread also don't understand how electricity works.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #928 on: July 17, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
the idiots here would make a game out of it to see who could hold on to the hot wire the longest.  :facepalm:

Online bedlamite

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #930 on: July 17, 2020, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #931 on: July 17, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »

You could die from an S&M session taken too far and some people will attribute it to COVID-19.

That would be my luck. Dying while having the time of my life and they list it as Covid. :naughty:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #932 on: July 17, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

This happens far too often in traffic stats.  One of my main issues is the stats on speeding and crashes.  They count speeding as causing or contributing to a crash even when common sense says it wasn't, such as when the speeding was slightly over the limit by 5 or so mph.  Then they use the nonsensical stats to justify lowering the speed limits or raising ticket prices.

But I'm not surprised this is from Florida.  Many years ago their public health sector was pulling the panic alarm because motorcycle crashes had increased by a significant percentage over the course of 10 or 20 years.  Draconian bills were introduced to the state legislature.  But fortunately there was a professional statistician who rode, and the error was caught.  The public health folks had looked at crash numbers only and didn't account for the increase in motorcycle riders during the same time period.  It turned out that there had been a significant rise in motorcycle riders such that when the stats were looked at in terms of crashes per licensed rider, the state was actually getting safer. The bills were withdrawn or defeated.

I used to work with state level public health administrators, and would push them to be certain that their statistics were painting an accurate picture. If I got some guff back, I pointed out this Florida disaster.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #933 on: July 18, 2020, 02:13:06 AM »
King's College, London has identified 6 strains of covid.

a round up of progress and findings by Reuters: https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/yxmvjqywprz/index.html

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #934 on: July 18, 2020, 03:00:35 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977

"just a normal electric fence that you would find in a field".....Asked if it was switched on, Mr McFadden said: "Come and find out - there is a fear factor and it works."

Online bedlamite

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #936 on: July 18, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
If this is true, would that mean any second wave response in previously hard-hit areas will be significantly muted?  Good news if so for Florida, AZ, NYC, London, etc.

https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown
“Our results indicate that public immunity to COVID-19 is probably significantly higher than antibody tests have suggested,” says Professor Hans-Gustaf Ljunggren at the Center for Infectious Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and co-senior author.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977

"just a normal electric fence that you would find in a field".....Asked if it was switched on, Mr McFadden said: "Come and find out - there is a fear factor and it works."

the idiots here would make a game out of it to see who could hold on to the hot wire the longest.  :facepalm:

And more fun than mechanical bull riding for sure.  Yeehaw

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #937 on: July 29, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
...the rate of new cases has started to decrease.

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #938 on: August 04, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #939 on: August 05, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
meanwhile in SD, the sturgis rally has begun. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #940 on: August 05, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
Since Chornbe isn't here to do it, I will:

:facepalm:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Black Hills

« Reply #941 on: August 05, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #942 on: August 05, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
Freedumb!
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #943 on: August 06, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #944 on: August 06, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
So maybe cold weather kills the virus...

...because suggesting that Canada’s relatively low rates are due to having a well-informed electorate led by semi-intelligent politicians with a modicum of personal integrity (I’ll give the Politicos that much credit) is really going to PO a large number of your southern neighbors. 

How about we agree on a statistic that I just made up that the US does tremendously many more times as much testing as Canada to explain these numbers. 

I’m already in the doghouse at home for considering an out-of-state motorcycle ride in October, so you guys booting me to the cellar might actually work in my favor.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #945 on: August 06, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
Freedumb!

+1

Being a libertarian, I am all about one's freedom.  You want to attend Sturgis during this time, go for it.  You want to skydive w/o a parachute, go for it. 

...the rate of new cases has started to decrease.

There's something about this chart that's a bit deceiving in comparing the US to the world (or, a hand full of countries representing the world).  While I don't doubt the chart's data, the US is not THAT bad compared to those countries. 

*  The combined population of the countries mentioned is 457 Million vs. 328 Million in the US.  However...

*  The total cases to date from those countries is 19.5 Million vs. 4.8 Million in the US.  And...

*  The total number of deaths in those countries YTD is 770K vs 159K in the US.

Comparably, the US is doing better off that the other countries mentioned here combined.  Are there individual countries in that group crushing the US, hell yes.  Are there those doing worse, hell yes.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #946 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »
Europe has 51 countries with a population of about 740 million.
The USA is about 330 million.
European deaths about 200,000
US deaths about 160,000.
If you use the European ratio then there’s about 65,000 too many deaths in the USA. Why? I’m not sure but I’m getting it’s the masks. I still have no clue about the Germany/France difference either. 30,000 dead French. Less than 10,000 Germans. Germany even has 20,000 more cases than France. So ?????

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #947 on: August 06, 2020, 09:18:51 AM »

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #948 on: August 06, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »
I'm not an apologist for the US.  But, it appears to be getting slammed a bit in this thread. 

Europe has 51 countries with a population of about 740 million.
The USA is about 330 million.
European deaths about 200,000  706,000
US deaths about 160,000.
If you use the European ratio then there’s about 65,000 too many deaths in the USA. Why? I’m not sure but I’m getting it’s the masks. I still have no clue about the Germany/France difference either. 30,000 dead French. Less than 10,000 Germans. Germany even has 20,000 more cases than France. So ?????

FTFY

USA Population 330 million.  Agreed
European Population 740 million.  Agreed

USA COVID Cases To Date 4.8 million
European COVID Cases To Date 18.8 million 
The number of cases per million in the US is 1.7X better than Europe

USA COVID Deaths To Date 159K 
European COVID Deaths To Date  706K   
The number of deaths per million in the US is 2X better than Europe

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #949 on: August 06, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »
it's an odd case for sure. seems political affiliation is the determining factor in how one feels the pandemic is affecting the US.