Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Video  (Read 60707 times)

TwistedT and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
Re: COVID-19 Video
« Reply #1150 on: November 29, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
This is good news, glad to hear you are on the mend Clay  :bigok:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Sock Muppet

« Reply #1151 on: November 30, 2020, 06:26:50 AM »
How the hell, while doing as this precautionary crap for covid, did I catch a cold?!?!?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #1152 on: November 30, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
How the hell, while doing as this precautionary crap for covid, did I catch a cold?!?!?

old BMWs are known for their virus preserving qualities. It's probably a cold from 1982.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Sock Muppet

« Reply #1153 on: November 30, 2020, 06:29:52 AM »

old BMWs are known for their virus preserving qualities. It's probably a cold from 1982.

But it's a '77

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: November 30, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »

But it's a '77

very bad year for colds in Germany, that. you're doomed.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #1155 on: November 30, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »

Yup. Had my fall cold right on schedule this year. M.Brane never got sick.

:shrug:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1156 on: November 30, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
No fever since I last mentioned it, the cough is getting progressively better.  Still low energy, but better each day.  I woke up a couple times last night, which tells me my body isn't needing all the sleep anymore.  That said, I see a nap in my near future- I was up early to make sure things would be good for school.  I'm out of school for the week, so we'll see how that goes.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #1157 on: November 30, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »
 :thumbsup:  That's good news, Clay.  REST UP!  This thing is a MFr.

I've been trying to explain the concept below to my wife for the past 2 weeks.  Somebody finally printed an explanation.  Now she might actually start to believe some of the things I say; but still probably not what time I'm going to be home when I go out for a ride.  FYI, you might hit the paywall on this. 

This is not a reprint of the entire piece.  I cherrypicked.  I apologize in advance for any political undertones

2 Companies Say Their Vaccines Are 95% Effective. What Does That Mean?

You might assume that 95 out of every 100 people vaccinated will be protected from Covid-19. But that’s not how the math works.

Experts say it’s easy to misconstrue early results because the language vaccine researchers use to talk about their trials can be hard for outsiders to understand.

From the headlines, you might well assume that these vaccines — which some people may receive in a matter of weeks — will protect 95 out of 100 people who get them. But that’s not actually what the trials have shown. Exactly how the vaccines perform out in the real world will depend on a lot of factors we just don’t have answers to yet — such as whether vaccinated people can get asymptomatic infections and how many people will get vaccinated.

The fundamental logic behind today’s vaccine trials was worked out by statisticians over a century ago. Researchers vaccinate some people and give a placebo to others. They then wait for participants to get sick and look at how many of the illnesses came from each group.

In the case of Pfizer, for example, the company recruited 43,661 volunteers and waited for 170 people to come down with symptoms of Covid-19 and then get a positive test. Out of these 170, 162 had received a placebo shot, and just eight had received the real vaccine.

From these numbers, Pfizer’s researchers calculated the fraction of volunteers in each group who got sick. Both fractions were small, but the fraction of unvaccinated volunteers who got sick was much bigger than the fraction of vaccinated ones. The scientists then determined the relative difference between those two fractions. Scientists express that difference with a value they call efficacy. If there’s no difference between the vaccine and placebo groups, the efficacy is zero. If none of the sick people had been vaccinated, the efficacy is 100 percent.

A 95 percent efficacy is certainly compelling evidence that a vaccine works well. But that number doesn’t tell you what your chances are of becoming sick if you get vaccinated.

Efficacy and effectiveness are related to each other, but they’re not the same thing. And vaccine experts say it’s crucial not to mix them up. Efficacy is just a measurement made during a clinical trial. “Effectiveness is how well the vaccine works out in the real world,” said Naor Bar-Zeev, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

The clinical trials run by Pfizer and other companies were specifically designed to see whether vaccines protect people from getting sick from Covid-19. If volunteers developed symptoms like a fever or cough, they were then tested for the coronavirus.

But there’s abundant evidence that people can get infected with the coronavirus without ever showing symptoms. And so it’s possible that a number of people who got vaccinated in the clinical trials got infected, too, without ever realizing it. If those cases indeed exist, none of them are reflected in the 95 percent efficacy rate.

People who are asymptomatic can still spread the virus to others. Some studies suggest that they produce fewer viruses, making them less of a threat than infected people who go on to develop symptoms. But if people get vaccinated and then stop wearing masks and taking other safety measures, their chances of spreading the coronavirus to others could increase.

“You could get this paradoxical situation of things getting worse,” said Dr. Bar-Zeev.
[Emphasis added]

“Vaccines don’t save lives,” said A. David Paltiel, a professor at the Yale School of Public Health. “Vaccination programs save lives.”

On Thursday, Dr. Paltiel and his colleagues published a study in the journal Health Affairs in which they simulated the coming rollout of coronavirus vaccines. They modeled vaccines with efficacy rates ranging from high to low, but also considered how quickly and widely a vaccine could be distributed as the pandemic continues to rage.

The results, Dr. Paltiel said, were heartbreaking. He and his colleagues found that when it comes to cutting down on infections, hospitalizations and deaths, the deployment mattered just as much as the efficacy. The study left Dr. Paltiel worried that the United States has not done enough to prepare for the massive distribution of the vaccine in the months to come.

“Time is really running out,” he warned. “Infrastructure is going to contribute at least as much, if not more, than the vaccine itself to the success of the program.”
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:10:04 PM by Skee »
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: November 30, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
quite right. the success of this all depends on sufficient numbers getting vaccinated-and it doesn't look like sufficient numbers in the UK and the USA are willing to be vaccinated.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1159 on: November 30, 2020, 02:23:53 PM »
My son and I are standing in line right at this very moment to get tested for covid. What feels like a cold has been going through our household, and I would rather know if it is covid or not than remain in doubt.

When the vaccine becomes available we will be among the first in line to get our shots.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1160 on: November 30, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »
When the vaccine becomes available we will be among the first in line to get our shots.

Same.  It will be interesting to hear the recommendations for those of us who already got COVID.
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1161 on: November 30, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »

I’ll be there with Fourstring and the kids right after the healthcare workers.

Dammit, I’m ready to travel again. I’m sick of being in this house.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1162 on: December 01, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »

This might be  rant, or political, I don't know.

But it's amazing to me how many of my non-educated friends who have simply been reposting crap on the book-of-faces are saying they will refuse any vaccine- whereas most of my educated friends(especially science or the medical field) are all ready to get it ASAP.

It seems to me we have a unique situation forming here where people who are not as educated are not trusting those who are- but really it's more than not trusting them- it's the fact that THEY think they know better.  It's like a peaceful "Khmer Rouge" in a free market, which honestly is mind-blowing to me.  I even tried, for awhile, some common sense "Do you understand who the source is you are quoting here" discussions- but they just don't work.  They are believing crap that is at best uninformed and misguided- and at worst is intentionally lying to people.

I mean if your doctor says "yes, get the vaccination, it's safe!" and your response is "No, I don't trust you because of something I read in the interwebz." the problem is you.

That is mind-blowing to me.  And I know several people for whom this is the case.
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1163 on: December 01, 2020, 08:58:27 AM »

But it's amazing to me how many of my non-educated friends who have simply been reposting crap on the book-of-faces are saying they will refuse any vaccine- whereas most of my educated friends(especially science or the medical field) are all ready to get it ASAP.

It seems to me we have a unique situation forming here where people who are not as educated are not trusting those who are- but really it's more than not trusting them- it's the fact that THEY think they know better.  It's like a peaceful "Khmer Rouge" in a free market, which honestly is mind-blowing to me.  I even tried, for awhile, some common sense "Do you understand who the source is you are quoting here" discussions- but they just don't work.  They are believing crap that is at best uninformed and misguided- and at worst is intentionally lying to people.

I mean if your doctor says "yes, get the vaccination, it's safe!" and your response is "No, I don't trust you because of something I read in the interwebz." the problem is you.

That is mind-blowing to me.  And I know several people for whom this is the case.

I'd like to think we can do better than natural selection.  But I fear we are stuck with it for now.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1164 on: December 01, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »

Obituary to Common Sense

OBITUARY---Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, and helping people get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable time-tested parenting strategies (the parents are in charge, not the kids), and it is O.K. to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends, including body piercing, whole language, and "new math.” But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-helps-only-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well-intentioned but overbearing regulations.

He watched in pain as good people became ruled by selfseeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and Federal judges stuck their noses into everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.  Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a hugh settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low-flow toilets, rocking chairs, and step ladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.  He is survived by two step-brothers, My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone..

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #1165 on: December 01, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
So today I received the news a 41 year old friend of mine died of Covid yesterday. The third friend I have lost to this effing disease. When will this shitshow end?
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1166 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:16 AM »
On the bright side, this morning I am definitely on the upswing.  My last day of quarantine is Friday- I am out doing stuff in the barn today to see how I hold up.  Maybe there will even be some hunting in my near future.

Don't worry, I will not push it too hard today.  I made that mistake once.
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1167 on: December 02, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
Clay--that's great!

Mr. Awesome--I'm familiar with most of the points you made above, but baffled by the rocking chair regulations you mentioned.  What's up with rocking chairs?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #1168 on: December 02, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »
On the bright side, this morning I am definitely on the upswing.  My last day of quarantine is Friday- I am out doing stuff in the barn today to see how I hold up.  Maybe there will even be some hunting in my near future.

Don't worry, I will not push it too hard today.  I made that mistake once.
Good to hear, some do well other not. Another ex coworker told me today they have it. not good for my employer as its a manufacturing facility. Hard to social distance two and three man work teams that the jobs require to be done.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #1169 on: December 02, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
Sometimes I wish that we had a  :thumbsup: button, when you want to say "yay!!!" without actually typing "yay!!!"  :D
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: December 02, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 for Clay
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1171 on: December 02, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »

Mr. Awesome--I'm familiar with most of the points you made above, but baffled by the rocking chair regulations you mentioned.  What's up with rocking chairs?

It is along the lines of getting burned by hot coffee. Rocking chairs are dangerous, you could get your foot or hand crushed.  :facepalm:

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #1172 on: December 02, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
Great update, Clay.  Thanks for sharing.  BTW, I ordered that book on prayer you recommenced.  It will be here this Saturday.  Perhaps next time something like this happens to you, I'll have better quality prayers for you.   :lol:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1173 on: December 02, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
 :rolf:  I did end up with a 45 minute nap this afternoon, but I did WAY more than I have any day thus far.   :clap:
Let's do some science.

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: December 02, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »
I just got the email with my test results.  No covid for me.     

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #1175 on: December 02, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
That's good news, Miles, and makes the brain tickle during the test a little more worth it. 

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #1176 on: December 02, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »
That's good news, Miles, and makes the brain tickle during the test a little more worth it.

This time wasn't nearly as bad as my first covid test.  The first time the nurse bruised my brain she slammed that swab in there so hard.  This time it was self-administered.  Uncomfortable and weird, yes, but not eye-wateringly painful.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1177 on: December 03, 2020, 02:50:08 AM »

:bigok:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #1178 on: December 03, 2020, 06:30:48 AM »

California mail in test results?  Fake. 

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

So, what's the appropriate reply to that?  Congratulations?  Well done?  I'll just go with Great News!!!
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #1179 on: December 03, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
local man (my hometown) in his 40's goes to the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks all three times is negative for COVID. on his last visit they life flight him to Sioux Falls and he dies from meningitis, ooops, didn't check for that but you didn't have covid..... it's taking it's toll on medical staff.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #1180 on: December 03, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
Our health care system is being stretched to its limits.  Several hospitals around here are at max capacity.  EMT calls are being diverted to other hospitals further away.  Not ours fortunately, but we are on the receiving end, and just how long can that last?  What happens if and when we need treatment.  Just read that hospitals in Iowa are going bankrupt even though all of their beds are filled.  Hard to believe. 

The strain on health care workers is unbelievable.  God bless those people.   

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #1181 on: December 03, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »

Congrats!

Things around here are terrible right now...
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #1182 on: December 04, 2020, 01:13:47 AM »
Numbers are going down again here-but we have had another lockdown and we are no bigger, population-wise, than California. The health service is bearing up (although clinicians are worn out) but only because of restrictions on people's movement and activities. The economy is tanking but will recover (except for that nasty Brexit surprise on 1st January).

I'm hoping that, by May 2021, things will be better for everyone. Sadly, more will die in the meantime, including friends and colleagues.

Now, go and set us a US health care system which is funded by taxes and free at the point of delivery. Doesn't matter what you call it, it saves lives.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: December 04, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
This is an interesting read.  It's more thought provoking and raises more questions than it is some definitive answer. 

In summary, the author reports total average deaths per week in the US have remained unchanged from historical data.  The theory put forth is that COVID deaths are replacing other top ten typical causes of deaths such as heart disease, cancer, etc.  Granted, I understand COVID for someone with pre-existing conditions can exacerbate those conditions, but the overall amount of deaths are not inflated.  This would indicate that not every death of someone infected by COVID is actually caused by COVID. 

this lack of increase in total average weekly deaths is present in all age groups.  In other words, even though we all know most of the COVID deaths are in the upper age groups, the data shows that there is no rise in overall deaths in the upper age groups. 

Why are there no increases in total deaths?  The data shows for increased deaths reported by COVID, the cause of death from the top ten historical top causes are decreasing in count in an amount nearly equal to the increase number in COVID. So, when someone passes away and tests positive for COVID, the cause is being listed as COVID.  I know this is a hyperbolic example, but the guy who died as a result of a motorcycle accident in Florida, tested positive for COVID, had COVID listed as his primary cause of death.  The question is, how many people who pass that also test positive for COVID actually succumb to the virus?

Am I trying to minimalize this virus?  No, but I do believe total COVID deaths are being inflated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Md5h1_farrLKoBDZzJ56YGbDFVXZRqXT/view

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1184 on: December 04, 2020, 07:09:50 AM »
That's Johns Hopkins, so it should be reliable.  My takeaway was that deaths from other infectious diseases have dropped even while COVID deaths have risen.

If I had to guess, the main driver may be that nursing homes are on lockdown.  The most vulnerable group is less likely to get the flu, pneumonia, or other respiratory illnesses because of the COVID precautions.   Also, sitting around at home has likely reduced the amount of activity-related heart attacks.

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #1185 on: December 04, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
Doug is speaking against the narrative.  Must be banned. :'(

Thread must be closed an original thought sneaking in. ;D
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: December 04, 2020, 08:25:39 AM »
How many people haven't dies in traffic accidents because they haven't been working from home?

How many people haven't caught the flu because they've been social distancing?
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Black Hills

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline OHScot

« Reply #1188 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
How many people have not been to the doctor?  How many suicides and overdoses?  Simple lack of nutrition and medication? 

The people in local children's services are really worried about the kids not in school, they are really at risk from their crappy parents and lack of parents ( no teacher to intervene). 
Not everyone's home is a nice place.   

We can BS stats all day

Lies, damn lies and statistics.  We will never know and never have a true equal number.

Still need to ban Doug! 8)

Online Black Hills

« Reply #1189 on: December 04, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »

Online nickybcareful

• Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada, Black

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: December 04, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »
I’d rather ban rain.   :twofinger: :lol:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:25:49 AM by Skee »

Offline OHScot

« Reply #1192 on: December 04, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
Well he did show up with a pretty nice rye whiskey the only time I met him. :P

How about just banning rain at planned rally's? 

I could go for that.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #1193 on: December 04, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
I bring this paper up as it does pose some decent questions.  And, being sat at home away from my office for the last nine months, I crave intellectual conversation.  Some of the sharpest people I've met are members here and appreciate the discussion. 

Do carry on, I'm not trying to stir the proverbial pot.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #1194 on: December 04, 2020, 11:15:22 AM »
I crave intellectual conversation.  Some of the sharpest people I've met are members here and appreciate the discussion. 

:snork: :snork: :snork:
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #1195 on: December 04, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
Well he did show up with a pretty nice rye whiskey the only time I met him. :P

How about just banning rain at planned rally's? 

I could go for that.

This is STO.  Always pack your gear.  It's going to rain. 

In regards to the discussion at hand, there was a recent study published that compared US infection rates and deaths to those being reported by other countries, a difficult task because of the wide variation in reporting standards.  While the US appears to have a higher infection rate than many countries, the US also appears to have a lower death rate.  (I’ll try to find the link to the study.)

Fact of the matter is, we won’t know the truth for years until statisticians can compare the average death rates for 2017-2019 to 2019-2021.  That will give an indication of the increase in death rates attributable to COVID-19.

In the meantime, anyone who doesn’t believe this is a serious disease is a d@mn fool.  Just inquire about the number of vacancies at your local ICU.  Cities wouldn’t be using refrigerated trailers as temporary morgues if there wasn’t an unexpected increase in the number of deaths.  I don’t care who says what on whatever news media you watch.  Use your own eyes.  We are just fortunate in that it is not a bad pandemic.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #1196 on: December 04, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »

In the meantime, anyone who doesn’t believe this is a serious disease is a d@mn fool.  Just inquire about the number of vacancies at your local ICU.  Cities wouldn’t be using refrigerated trailers as temporary morgues if there wasn’t an unexpected increase in the number of deaths.  I don’t care who says what on whatever news media you watch.  Use your own eyes.  We are just fortunate in that it is not a bad pandemic.

I think this is the problem, coupled with the fact that nobody trusts the media anymore and you can find a "source" to "confirm" whatever you believe. Here is SD, with one of the highest infection rates in the world, people aren't seeing bodies in trailers, packed hospitals, or anything else other than they can't do everything they want without restriction. In other words what they are seeing with their own eyes is not as serious as the media would have them believe. thus, the attitude that it is not as bad as "they" make it out to be" ..

I am involved in at least one conversation a day about it and the typical thing I here is "i know X number of people who had it and they all said it was no worse than the common cold"   
 another thing that contributes to the lack of people taking it serious is the mass testing were there are hundred of asymptomatic people reported.  not to far of a stretch for a non believer to turn that into everyone has or will have it anyway.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #1197 on: December 04, 2020, 11:42:29 AM »
The strain on health care workers is unbelievable.  God bless those people.
Applause, applause.
 :clap:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor

My Other Hobby

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: December 04, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
I don't think they screwed up as much as the paper was being misinterpreted.

There are some meaningful points for discussion.  Whether they are valid interpretations is questionable.  Isn't that the point of a student newspaper? 

To wit:

"The Editors-in-Chief decided to delete the article because of these urgent concerns, explaining on social media that the piece was being taken out of context and used to spread dangerous misinformation. While the article noted the need for further research, this sentiment was not sufficiently emphasized. We failed to clarify that Briand’s analyses have not been published, peer-reviewed or verified by outside experts.

However, the article should not have been deleted in the first place. Instead of temporarily removing it from our website, The News-Letter should have immediately retracted and provided a detailed explanation of the inaccuracies in Briand’s research. We did not intend to silence Briand; instead, we sought to put her claims in conversation with findings from Hopkins, the World Health Organization and the CDC."

[EDIT] or maybe it was a Sokol hoax and the jokes on us.  LOL  Re: What R Doug said about "Some of the sharpest people I've met are members here and appreciate the discussion."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:14:09 PM by Skee »