Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Video  (Read 39824 times)

CLAY, Wesley, Mr. Whippy and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
Re: COVID-19 Video
« Reply #1100 on: November 20, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #1101 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:03 AM »
and why would the government want to terrify its population in this way, anyway? and to what end? there's loads of more effective ways of doing that, in any case.

Because fear is an effective tool for corralling the populace into submitting to things they would never otherwise agree to.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #1102 on: November 21, 2020, 06:09:35 AM »
and why would the government want to terrify its population in this way, anyway? and to what end? there's loads of more effective ways of doing that, in any case.

Because fear is an effective tool for corralling the populace into submitting to things they would never otherwise agree to.

Possibly, but when you look at the scale of this pandemic, I think that line of thinking is a bit too much  :tinfoil:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1103 on: November 21, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »

Possibly, but when you look at the scale of this pandemic, I think that line of thinking is a bit too much  :tinfoil:

Being asked to wear a mask and social distance for the duration of a pandemic doesn't sound like steps toward thought control over the populace.  It's nothing like the Red Scare tactics from the 1950s.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #1104 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
Hmmm how about sheltering in place, shutting down private business, food and product shortages, rampant unemployment, cities burning.  The Red Scare was more of a picnic in damage done to our country.

You were kidding, oh now I see.

This thread will probably go away as the others have.  So last but not least censorship by large tech and social pressure to conform to the narrative opinion.

Gas is cheap though, better pack a lunch food can be a little difficult at times unless you think MCd's is food.
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1105 on: November 21, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »
Seriously, what is my government asking me to do that is so nefarious? 

Wear a mask?  The government already requires I wear clothes- this is just one more piece.

Limit my interactions with others?  Others who might infect me and give me a possibly fatal illness?  Yeah, I'd do that anyway no matter what the government said during a pandemic.

Work from home if possible?  You mean I'm not required to deal with rush hour traffic on a daily basis?  Quelle horreur! 

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #1106 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »
Switzerland is experiencing high numbers. My canton just established further restrictions: all restaurants, gyms, pools, etc, are closed until December 13th. There is still take away, but no more going in an getting table service.

I read something about the government's coverage of rent for small businesses. I don't recall the exact sources, but they call it the 1/3 solution: 1/3 of rent is covered by the renter, 1/3 covered by government, and 1/3 covered by the landlord.

EDIT: Found the actual text of what is apparently a proposal (but will probably take effect shortly):

"According to the proposal, the canton will reimburse one third of the rent to lessors who have agreed with their tenants to reduce their rent by at least two thirds of the net rent whilst emergency measures are in place. This means that the lessor, tenant and canton would each be responsible for paying one third of the original rent. This would apply to net monthly rent payments of up to a maximum of 20,000 Swiss francs, making the canton’s contribution a maximum of 6,700 Swiss francs per month in each case."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:51:58 PM by Mrs. DantesDame »

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #1107 on: November 21, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »

Wear a mask?  The government already requires I wear clothes- this is just one more piece.

Limit my interactions with others?  Others who might infect me and give me a possibly fatal illness?  Yeah, I'd do that anyway no matter what the government said during a pandemic.

Work from home if possible?  You mean I'm not required to deal with rush hour traffic on a daily basis?  Quelle horreur!

I’d do the things required by the restrictions independently if the restrictions did not exist.  I started using a seatbelt and wearing a helmet long before they were required by law.  Why not?

I intend to survive this thing until life hopefully returns to normal.  In the meantime, I wish our government would offer low interest long term loans to people - much like it did during the Great Depression (and Switzerland is doing now) - to keep them on their feet long term until the economy recovers or at least the winter is over - instead of short term stimulus money handouts. It’s been done before and it worked for Middle America. But enough about that because I don’t want this discussion to become political. It’s already on its way to the outhouse. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #1108 on: November 21, 2020, 12:50:44 PM »
.............................. Quelle horreur!

I love it when you talk in that sexy accent.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1109 on: November 21, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
... I don’t want this discussion to become political. It’s already on its way to the outhouse.

Unfortunately, it seems that its too easy for a covid discussion to be perceived as being political even when a comment wasn't intended to be political.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #1110 on: November 21, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
... I don’t want this discussion to become political. It’s already on its way to the outhouse.

Unfortunately, it seems that its too easy for a covid discussion to be perceived as being political even when a comment wasn't intended to be political.

I think that a subject like this can walk the line. There are obvious political comments, and then there are comments that can't really be avoided. Just keep it clean.  :gerg:

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2020, 08:28:33 AM »
"Future-tense hope is complicated by the fact that the future is a fragile place, cognitively," wrote Robert Sapolsky, an expert on human behavior. "Sacrificing immediate pleasure (a big gathering at Thanksgiving, for example), for a bigger future gain (less sickness and death) is tough for humans."

Writers have lamented the unwillingness of some Americans to make sacrifices in the pandemic, but we shouldn't be all that surprised, wrote historian Nicole Hemmer. Even the "greatest generation" wasn't fully on board with the restrictions enacted during World War II. "Personal sacrifice for community benefit is incredibly difficult," Hemmer pointed out.

"Americans sacrificed during the war, as they do today, for a wide range of reasons: altruism, food shortages, poverty, regulations, social pressure. The sort of sacrifices Americans made during WWII were, as often as not, mandatory and resented. They required not just laws but extensive propaganda campaigns, severe social sanctions, and regular exhortations that a little sacrifice on the home front would save countless lives on the frontlines."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/opinions/mask-marshmallow-covid-vaccine-sapolsky/index.html

https://apple.news/A_nmYIT9FRpW2W2ZhnNFwkA

Multi tasking watching Moto GP Portugal with 2 laps tp gp
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:41:18 AM by Skee »
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #1112 on: Yesterday at 09:10:52 AM »

Glad you are doing well.  Many are not. 
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1113 on: Yesterday at 10:22:20 AM »

Glad you are doing well.  Many are not.

You're right that the job market has been a mixed bag. Hospitality and travel have been hit hard. But where I'm at we've seen a strong increase in commercial and residential construction, which has brought jobs in actual construction and in all the ancillary businesses like window or plumbing manufacturers. Further, boats are selling 3 months out or more, and we have several boat manufacturers in state.  Not all, but still a lot of people have been able to shift to other jobs.  Hopefully we'll be able to hang on and open up again soon.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1114 on: Yesterday at 08:32:28 PM »
My niece who had covid recovered, but I just learned that another of my wife's sisters has covid.  She works at an old folks home, but the facility has been proactive from the start and haven't had significant issues.  We're all hoping that the precautions she took with her patients paid off and they don't get sick because they're elderly and frail.  We're also hoping that her case is mild, so far it's just at the level of a severe cold.

We would likely have been with that sis-in-law this past weekend except that we were isolating in advance of my hernia operation.  We're also skipping Thanksgiving with the fam who aren't now under quarantine as my wife has a cardio procedure next Monday and we don't want any complications there.

So do we get a small bird, or just go with a ham?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #1115 on: Today at 01:04:24 AM »
hope all goes well for them both.

small bird. avocet or European swallow.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter