Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Video  (Read 25491 times)

Flyer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Re: COVID-19 Video
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2020, 09:04:16 PM »

You go through life not really thinking of the flu as a killer. Ugh, I got the flu, few days off work, feel like crap.. boooo, then life goes on. That's at a worldwide average of .1% of the people to catch it dying, most of whom you just NEVER hear anything about because it's world wide, and many of those deaths aren't here, in our faces, close to home.

Which is what I point out to casual comments like that. Such "flu" is more of a 24-48 hour virus and not the real influenza. If you get that, you'll know the difference. The kids were in middle school and I was in my 40s. We were all sick in bed for a full 2 weeks and can see how the lack of sleep added to the illness could kill "weaker" people. With the COVID it seems to bring with it a tendency to kick over into pneumonia very quickly (Woz's wife coughing blood for example).

We have an imminent threat of sociological collapse via EMP or CME, but we still are not prepared.  At the heart of our electrical grid are massive transformers that are super expensive to build, take months to complete, and require advanced technology to fabricate.  If either of these happened (the latter being strong enough), these things would blow and the grid would remain down for months as we scramble to make replacements and get them installed.  It would be expensive, but we could make new ones and keep them stored near needed locations so we can get the grid back up in a few days, but politicians won’t approve the spending.  EMP attacks are most probable.  A CME is inevitable.  The experts agree the grid needs hardening and spares have to be ready to go on a moment’s notice, but nobody is listening.

True. My brother used to work at a co-gen in the days where state-authorized monopolies within the energy community didn't want to work with co-gens until laws were passed that forced them to buy up excess capacity when it was pushed up into the grid. When the co-gen blew one of those transformers, they ran afoul of that conflict. Typically a primary power company will reach out to others around the country, get an on-hand spare, and send their "new" on back as a replacement once it was built. When you MAKE companies do things, they are less apt to volunteer to help you when you need it most. They were faced with being down for 6 months awaiting a replacement until they finally found someone willing to work with them.

Both of these.  I have read several times about the electrical infrastructure problem for a long time, especially in regards to a CME.  Once again, we will only respond.  Our history is full of those things- then we blame those who were in power when it went down.  So, just prepare on a personal level- and imagine what it could be like in large urban areas without power for more than a month. 

As for the REAL influenza?  About 7 years ago I missed my flu shot- kept putting it off.  I had influenza (as checked by a test at the doctor's) and missed my entire Christmas break.  It is more the 24-48 hours- at least that one was. It was brutal.  Fever, aches, chills, for more than a week.  I have one student out right now who tested positive- he's been out all last week.

I will never miss my vaccination again.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2020, 11:41:23 PM »
By the way, as a morbid sideshow, watch the U.S. panic level crank up over the next couple of weeks. There should be a huge spike in cases as testing finally opens up.

Right now, people are aware that there are few cases by me in OC, a cluster in Seatlle, yada yada yada. What people aren't aware of is that as of early last week, 1500 people had been tested in the U.S. Not a typo. 1500. Guess why there aren't more reported cases.

South Korea has tested 140,000. The good news is that with that large sample, they've calculated a death rate of 0.6%, a tick higher than Swine flu, 6x worse than regular flu, nowhere near the worst case numbers being kicked around. It's going to suck. It won't be the end of civilization.

Great headline from The Chaser:
Laxatives sell out as hoarders try to make use of excess toilet paper
A man with no sig

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2020, 11:54:35 PM »
I am coming to the conclusion that the lack of cogent response outside of China (and perhaps Indonesia) means that the covid-19 virus will become endemic, much as the flu or common cold are now.

I can't see an effective vaccine any time within the next si months at best, probably more like 12-18 months from now.  By that time, it will have spread worldwide and containment will simply be a forgotten concept.

So, with this in mind, hope that when you catch it (not really if) it'll be mild and you'll develop immunity until it mutates further.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2020, 01:46:35 AM »
OK what the heck is the difference between a Virus and a Disease?   Why is it interchangeable on the TV?

dis-ease (literally, unease) is a word for anything that makes you feel unwell. a broken leg or a cold could be included.

the word has morphed over the years to mean something that makes you feel unwell and is the result of infection-so viral, fungal and bacterial infections. Although people still refer to non-infectious illnesses, such as cancer, as a disease, going back to its old meaning.

a virus is a non-cellular thing-debatable if it's alive or not-which may cause infection, which may cause disease. common viral infections are flu and colds. bacteria are most definitely alive. some cause disease, most don't. Fungi don't cause many diseases worth worrying about as they tend to be fairly easy to kill. unless you're a frog.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
Fungi don't cause many diseases worth worrying about as they tend to be fairly easy to kill. unless you're a frog.

Not exactly.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125283-deadly-drug-resistant-candida-yeast-infection-spreads-in-the-us/

Viruses need a host to replicate or hide out. A virus will insert into a host DNA and become quiescent. This is one way how a host animal tolerates the virus.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
SouthBy was canceled, so... regardless of the EOEs here, people are taking it seriously. 2019's SouthBy added a gross $360M to Austin's economy.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
I'm glad that someone's taking this seriously....

ComicCon in Seattle is also postponed. About 100,000 people usually attend.

It might be overkill, sure. But I would rather err on the side of caution than have a full-blown deadly pandemic upon us.
At least here in Europe some of the governments are talking about financial assistance to businesses who can't operate due to the bans on large gatherings.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
There've been a number of Marine Industry related conferences either cancelled or re-scheduled.  Including Oceanology International which is a big one in the UK.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
Nobody is invited to our house.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »
We are taking it seriously enough to decomenate/wipe down all surfaces of every bus every night. The Cleaner/fuelers told me they smell the disinfectant in their sleep. But then at inner city transit, we are on the front line. 

Side note:I am home today, with a touch of the flu  :P
Looking out the window I can see the Princess Cruise ship heading into the SF Bay right now. Not that that adds up to much.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:06 PM »
I have to be careful. My mother is 94. She's in a high risk group. All their group activities have been cancelled at her independent living facility. All visitors must wash their hands upon arrival. Also group outings are cancelled.

I applaud these efforts without government mandates. Risk assessment and reasonable actions are happening at a local level.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
We are taking it seriously enough to decomenate/wipe down all surfaces of every bus every night. The Cleaner/fuelers told me they smell the disinfectant in their sleep. But then at inner city transit, we are on the front line. 
:thumbsup:

Side note:I am home today, with a touch of the flu  :P
Nothing like being on the front line to get hit by shrapnel  :couch:

Looking out the window I can see the Princess Cruise ship heading into the SF Bay right now. Not that that adds up to much.
I have two friends who just boarded a cruise ship leaving from Miami. Personally, I think they are crazy.  :crazy:

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »
I was talking to my Mom last night and she told me about one of the driver's for the Senion Center in her town.

He has Cruise scheduled for April and he's still not sure whether to cancel, or just go ahead and do it.  It's Mediterranean cruise that departs from Italy  :o.  Apparently pandemics aren't covered under Trip Insurance so if he cancels, he's completely SOL.

And keep in mind...this guy drives Senior Citizens to doctor's offices, and other appointments on a daily basis.....

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
UK advice is now to self isolate if you get any cold or flu symptoms.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

That's generally good advice. But since my secret superhero identity is Allergy Man, I always have mild cold or flu symptoms.   :o  It's a good thing that I'm kinda antisocial.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »

That's generally good advice. But since my secret superhero identity is Allergy Man, I always have mild cold or flu symptoms.   :o  It's a good thing that I'm kinda antisocial.

:lol:
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2020, 03:22:07 PM »

:snork:

If Dan or I get it, then there's not much we can do other than to share it with each other and sit at home together, eating our way through the pantry and watching Netflix.

(the Swiss government also recommends self-isolation, and only calling your doctor (not visiting in person!) if you are really, really worried)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2020, 03:33:46 PM »

:snork:

If Dan or I get it, then there's not much we can do other than to share it with each other and sit at home together, eating our way through the pantry and watching Netflix.

(the Swiss government also recommends self-isolation, and only calling your doctor (not visiting in person!) if you are really, really worried)

^This... although we have the RV which will become the quarantine/isolation ward if necessary.

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
He has Cruise scheduled for April and he's still not sure whether to cancel, or just go ahead and do it.  It's Mediterranean cruise that departs from Italy  :o.  Apparently pandemics aren't covered under Trip Insurance so if he cancels, he's completely SOL.

Tough call.  What if he got a doctor's note saying he could not go?  Cancellation because of medical issues should qualify.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
We are taking an Alaskan cruise in early July.  Not worried.
Let's do some science.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »
Read a bunch of interesting stuff today while the market tanked.

Curious question meant to inspirer thought, not challenge: Millions upon millions of people living in tight proximity with weird climate conditions and purely numbers based weaknesses in quality food and sanitation aren’t enough to explain why all the wacky shit you read about happens n China and India? We dropped two nukes in Japan and they had a reactor blow up and still the level of freaky shit isn’t a blip on the radar compared to the two most overpopulated countries in the globe. Two headed babies. China and India. Weird super rare diseases. China and India. Recessive genes causing mutations. China and India. Wild life mutating at crazy rates. China and India.

Thoughts?

Here is one Opinion: Coronavirus: 5 reasons why so many pandemics begin in Asia or Africa

Here is an insightful discussion of mortality rates

Opinion: Why this epidemiologist is more worried about coronavirus than he was a month ago

And if all that isn't bad enough, now we have to worry about third-hand smoke.

Human transport of thirdhand tobacco smoke: A prominent source of hazardous air pollutants into indoor nonsmoking environments
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »

Tough call.  What if he got a doctor's note saying he could not go?  Cancellation because of medical issues should qualify.

Funny you should mention that -- a friend just forwarded an email sent to her elderly mom from the doc with coronavirus advice. The doc said she'd be happy to write a medical note for anyone who wanted it but to be aware that airlines and cruise lines were ignoring them and that there was a little chance of a refund.
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2020, 10:33:17 PM »
I didn't know if this went here or You Laugh, You Lose.
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
A man with no sig

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2020, 05:01:29 AM »
Funny you should mention that -- a friend just forwarded an email sent to her elderly mom from the doc with coronavirus advice. The doc said she'd be happy to write a medical note for anyone who wanted it but to be aware that airlines and cruise lines were ignoring them and that there was a little chance of a refund.

Not surprising, but the wording of the contract controls.  If the doctor note meets the terms set in the contract, they don’t have a choice.  You may have to go to court, but if they don’t comply, have a lawyer draft a nasty-gram warning them of the risk of litigation over breach of contract, that their practice will be reported to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) and possible class action suit by ALL the parties who they are refusing to honor their end of the contract.

Also, with a pandemic going on, entire cruises could (and probably should) be cancelled on the basis that the pandemic frustrates performance of the contract.  Understandably, they don’t want to lose the income from these trips, but if they are sued for people getting infected and dying because of conditions on the ship, even if they win in court, it will get expensive.  There’s no way to sanitize a ship in the time normally allowed for turn around in port.

While I know the useless WHO won’t call this a pandemic for market reasons, they are warning anyone particularly vulnerable to avoid crowds, planes and cruises.  It’s pretty much a given that flying and cruising is a bad idea right now in general and for some a definite NO.

Online zer0netgain

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2020, 05:32:44 AM »
That spells it out for those of us who are not great thinkers.

― Frank Zappa

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2020, 07:09:45 AM »
After today, the university that I work at is closing for two weeks. The official word is there are no confirmed cases on campus, but they learned that some people may have been exposed to a confirmed case after attending an out of state conference. Idiot(s)! So I get to 'work from home' for two weeks. Though being in IT desktop support, I don't really have anything to do without anybody on campus.  :shrug:

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2020, 08:26:35 AM »
SouthBy was canceled

So it's not all bad news?

Nobody is invited to our house.

You seem to infer that this is a new thing. That's SOP here.

And if all that isn't bad enough, now we have to worry about third-hand smoke.

Human transport of thirdhand tobacco smoke: A prominent source of hazardous air pollutants into indoor nonsmoking environments

Creating a generation of wimps. Get out there and eat some mud pies and get strong!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:39:56 AM by Bounce »

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »
It's the end of the world as we know it, We're all gonna DIE!
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
It's about fucking time.

― Frank Zappa

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
It's about fucking time.

God knows I'm tired of waiting for it to come.  ;)

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
I think this is the best comprehensive explanation of the subject. It's long and thorough. The short version is don't over react, wash your hands and avoid touching your face. If you get sick, don't go to the ER unless you're running a high fever, have difficulty keeping fluid down and are short of breath. They don't have any vaccine or treatment. Also numbers, he believes the South Koreans are closer to the "real" mortality rate at 0,7%.   
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdrmarkstanley%2Fposts%2F10216896547069895&width=500"

I'm booked for a tour in Italy - Slovenia - Austria, Germany and Switzerland this summer. The advice I got from my travel agent is to wait. If you cancel you may be SOL. If they cancel is another ball game.  Anyways Italy is quarantined as of this last Sunday until Apr 5. We will see what happens.

Ride safe!

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:53 PM »
I think this is the best comprehensive explanation of the subject. It's long and thorough. The short version is don't over react, wash your hands and avoid touching your face. If you get sick, don't go to the ER unless you're running a high fever, have difficulty keeping fluid down and are short of breath. They don't have any vaccine or treatment. Also numbers, he believes the South Koreans are closer to the "real" mortality rate at 0,7%.   
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdrmarkstanley%2Fposts%2F10216896547069895&width=500"

I'm booked for a tour in Italy - Slovenia - Austria, Germany and Switzerland this summer. The advice I got from my travel agent is to wait. If you cancel you may be SOL. If they cancel is another ball game.  Anyways Italy is quarantined as of this last Sunday until Apr 5. We will see what happens.

Italy should have peaked by then and the infection rate calmed right down. We're expecting April-early June to be our peak.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »
Granted all the cases aren't done, but if you look at the current US numbers (as of 3/10 4:00pm ET) (https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6): 

805 confirmed, 28 dead, 8 recovered, and you subtract the 23 that died IN A FREAKING NURSING HOME (the most susceptible) that brings the death rate down to 0.62%.

Obviously that's not perfect statistics, but interesting.
Let's do some science.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
Good news from a friend in Italy: Zero contagi a Codogno, è prima volta Codogno is thought to be ground zero in Italy. Translated it means that for the first time they have no new infection.

Ride safe!

Online zer0netgain

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

Check with the cruise line directly and keep checking with the agent.  More companies are offering refunds/rebooks for those not wanting to travel, and others are offering incentives if you elect to not cancel.  As the situation develops, the policies may change.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
It finally made it out here to the sticks. 5 "presumptive"  cases in the state with the first fatality in my county. we shall see..

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/South-Dakota-reports-possible-coronavirus-cases-568676291.html
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
My take on it:

I have to die. If I catch the Coronavirus now, well then I die now; if later, then now I will take my lunch, since the hour for lunch has arrived – and dying I will tend to later.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
It finally made it out here to the sticks. 5 "presumptive"  cases in the state with the first fatality in my county. we shall see..

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/South-Dakota-reports-possible-coronavirus-cases-568676291.html

huh. Not bad for something that's a liberal hoax, a lie, nothing to worry about, no big deal... Huh. Whodathought...? Well, stay safe out there amongst them English.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline PatM

• Contributor
Ride safe!

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
WHO just declared pandemic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/11/coronavirus-live-updates-washington-ban-michigan-cases-us-death/5011587002/

About frickin' time.
By the way, if you're wondering what that actually means, here's a nice excerpt from WHO's guidance document:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143061/

A man with no sig

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
From this WHO article:
 https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/national/covid--outbreak-now-a-pandemic-world-health-organization-declares/article_dba1d12e-2564-5d92-abc4-efd06c45d82b.html#tracking-source=home-just-in

"For most, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. But for a few, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illnesses, including pneumonia."

So why in the hell is every store in town out of toilet paper, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, and over the counter drugs??

At any rate, I'm meeting the Dakota Dual Sport guys for our weekly "discussion" at a local brewery, virus or not.....

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »
MOAB is cancelled which I was trying to attend. 7 cases have popped up in the state of VA.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/11/coronavirus-fears-may/?fbclid=IwAR39b70c1t0iXzP5FiOEEyCl20J3ceVV3lGuSBnMWI3PU7kY3JgJZwD7rCY
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
In person classes cancelled at Penn State.  Students told not to come back from Spring Break until at least 4/6.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
In person classes cancelled at Penn State.  Students told not to come back from Spring Break until at least 4/6.

University of Minnesota as well, and they extended spring break by 2 days?

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
I will mock this sickness till I am on my deathbed coughing up blood.

― Frank Zappa

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »

I'm at a private university in SoCal. We've canceled in person classes starting tomorrow. Campus isn't closed and students aren't being sent home from the dorms, but we're moving

Other locals that I'm aware of:
Nearly all of the LA County universities (including USC and UCLA) have gone online.

Out here in Orange County:
UC Irvine is on spring break and goes online when they return
Cal State Fullerton is business as usual but faculty are supposed to experiment with online learning starting next week, so they're on the way.

Talking to my colleagues across the country, it looks like most people are making the move this week. People I talked to this morning who said they weren't making the move are telling me this afternoon that they are. My school is in that group.
A man with no sig

Online bowtie76

• Motorcycles: 06 Sprint ST, 06 CRF450R plated, 03 R6 track bike
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
We have moved to online classes only here at the University if Virginia.  Not sure what they are going to do about grad students and our ongoing research.

Going to be a fun ride.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
I will mock this sickness till I am on my deathbed coughing up blood.

https://youtu.be/345uegSj-zQ
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries