Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 6366 times)

Online MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
Now THAT would make for an outstanding audio book for a road trip!!!  :o
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Did you have a celebrity in mind who should provide the voice for the recording?

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »

Did you have a celebrity in mind who should provide the voice for the recording?

Fran Drescher.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online MrsCablebandit

• Pineapple Ponderings
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »

Fran Drescher.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!

I was thinking Anna Faris so when her vaginal demons emerge, she can use her deep voice from "The House Bunny."

Edited to add clip:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:43:05 PM by MrsCablebandit »

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
Fran Drescher.
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!

I was thinking Anna Faris

There's someone who seems to never age.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Now I feel like a total square. :o
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
Don't Baxter!

Not everyone drives enough to benefit from audio books.  8)

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2020, 06:28:04 PM »

Fran Drescher.

What about Betty White?

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »
Citizen Soldiers. By Stephen Ambrose.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2020, 05:26:02 AM »
another Frances Hardynge book, Deeplight. She may be a children's author, but she's well worth a read.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »
More dragon books.  Whatever is on Kindle Unlimited and gets nearly 5 stars.  Currently, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Ascendant-Dragon-Rider-Fantasy-Songs/dp/B08J5FDG3P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
The Sandman (Neil Gaiman): Excellent writing as always by a master. A collection of short stories that weave in-and-out of the DCCU.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2020, 10:59:19 AM »
Pivot Lab Chronicles Unconscious, coma patients due to trauma or illness treated by entering them in a virtual reality game of wizards, orcs, dwarfs, elves and a snarky AI.
Ride safe!

Offline xsrider

• Contributor
  • Be seeing you.
  • Motorcycles: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
IBA #14938
Stay healthy, my friend.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2020, 10:29:37 PM »
The girl in the box. Got books 1-3. Then when I found 4 it said 4 of 44....[boggle]
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2020, 02:26:20 AM »
The girl in the box. Got books 1-3. Then when I found 4 it said 4 of 44....[boggle]

I read 1-2 a while back as they were free on Amazon-pretty good. and then got put off by the number of sequels, too.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2020, 05:38:09 PM »
The Diabetes Code and the Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung

Lots of good info on controlling and reversing type 2 diabetes through diet, If you're afflicted with either one of these issues it's some good information
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2020, 07:23:09 PM »

Lots of good info on controlling and reversing type 2 diabetes through diet, If you're afflicted with either one of these issues it's some good information

Applaud. Starting fast in the morning.

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2020, 04:21:06 AM »

I wonder if the doc talks about fasting. I have heard tha itt helps.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2020, 06:41:34 AM »

I wonder if the doc talks about fasting. I have heard tha itt helps.

That's kind of his main thing.  He's the guy that got me started on all this.  The research is out there.  He makes it really easy to understand.  He has a lot of videos of talks and interviews he's done over the years.  Good stuff. 

Online dpippin

• KLX 250S Information
  • Motorcycles: several
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
I'm reading Ghost Rider by Neil Peart
I usually don't like ride report type books but find this very interesting

More info on this book here
https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-Travels-Healing-Road-ebook/dp/B00466HQVA

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »

As someone who has spent the past 2+ years getting off all diabetes and cholesterol meds, might I suggest foregoing fads and fasting? Looks at WHAT you eat and portion control. Look at LIFESTYLE changes that you will follow the rest of your remaining days; not miracles. It's work. It's tedious. It's often discouraging. It takes WILL and determination. You didn't become a fat fuck overnight, and won't get shed of it quickly either.

Tips:

1. Don't eat when you get hungry the first time. It will go away. Drink some water. When you get hungry again (after the first one goes away), THEN you're really hungry and can eat something.
2. Eat until your "not hungry" (not until your full).

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »

As someone who has spent the past 2+ years getting off all diabetes and cholesterol meds, might I suggest foregoing fads and fasting? Looks at WHAT you eat and portion control. Look at LIFESTYLE changes that you will follow the rest of your remaining days; not miracles. It's work. It's tedious. It's often discouraging. It takes WILL and determination. You didn't become a fat fuck overnight, and won't get shed of it quickly either.

Tips:

1. Don't eat when you get hungry the first time. It will go away. Drink some water. When you get hungry again (after the first one goes away), THEN you're really hungry and can eat something.
2. Eat until your "not hungry" (not until your full).

I appreciate your concern but I have hundreds of hours of research into this and I'm pretty comfortable with a fasting schedule.  I haven't locked in exactly what it's going to be yet but being able to see the results in my blood sugar and BP in addition to weight loss and the other oft mentioned benefits, I'm very happy with the role fasting is playing in my life.  It's actually far more successful and sustainable for me than a more traditional approach.  If you do the research, you'll see that the science is there.  Fung's books are a good place to start as he's very good about explaining said science to notso sciency people.  I don't do well with moderation.  I do better with extremes.  :)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
I'm not knocking fasting but can't see it as a sustainable long-term solution to overly-large portions. FOR ME, portion control avoids the need to take extreme actions.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
I'm not knocking fasting but can't see it as a sustainable long-term solution to overly-large portions. FOR ME, portion control avoids the need to take extreme actions.

Definitely not.  Not much can undo overly large portions.  But that's part of the journey...learning the control of both portions and hunger.  I've been using fasting as a tool to learn my body.  Case in point:  Kim made fudge and pumpkin pie over Christmas.  In studying my level of insulin resistance, I've been checking my blood sugar to see how my body processes sugar and whether or not I'm broken.  One day of fasting after a particularly sugar laden day, and my blood sugar was 88.  So I've learned that even after a ridiculously unhealthy quantity of sugar, my body processes it properly and I reset back to normal like I believe I'm supposed to do.  That's helpful.  I think I'll end up doing an alternate day fast schedule for a while.  Keep in mind, I'm still about 20-30 lbs from my end weight so I'm using it for that as well.  It's as much mental as it is physical for me.

Back on topic - the Fung books make the science make sense for me.  Once I know that what I'm going through is perfectly normal and actually quite healthy as opposed to what modern doctorin' would try to convince you of, I feel way better about doing this without medical intervention.  Fung is quite easy to read and easy to listen to, eh.  I wish everyone would read his books just to gain an understanding of how the body works and what the last 5 or 6 decades of decadence have done to the health of America and the world in general.  It's a sad thing.  Somehow seeing it in graphs and charts makes it more real.  The slides that show the prevalence of diabetes and obesity over time looks like the COVID page from JHU's CSSE dashboard.  Reading all this from the perspective of a nephrologist (sp?) is fascinating because he's seeing people at the end of their journey having taken the traditional medical path.  It's kind of a red pill blue pill thing when you read that these conditions are TOTALLY within your control with nothing but discipline between you and dialysis or amputated limbs...if you live that long.  Odds are that the cardiac complications will kill you first.  It's a happy read with a real feel good ending.  :)

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2021, 05:59:00 AM »
Dean Koontz's book "From the Corner of His Eye"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2021, 07:23:25 AM »
Just finished "Our Downriver River", a local history of the Detroit River and the people that have lived on her.  I'm a fan of local history and even though I'm on the west side of the state having fished it a few times it was a really interesting read.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2021, 08:03:25 AM »

Definitely not.  Not much can undo overly large portions.  But that's part of the journey...learning the control of both portions and hunger.  I've been using fasting as a tool to learn my body.  Case in point:  Kim made fudge and pumpkin pie over Christmas.  In studying my level of insulin resistance, I've been checking my blood sugar to see how my body processes sugar and whether or not I'm broken.  One day of fasting after a particularly sugar laden day, and my blood sugar was 88.  So I've learned that even after a ridiculously unhealthy quantity of sugar, my body processes it properly and I reset back to normal like I believe I'm supposed to do.  That's helpful.  I think I'll end up doing an alternate day fast schedule for a while.  Keep in mind, I'm still about 20-30 lbs from my end weight so I'm using it for that as well.  It's as much mental as it is physical for me.

Back on topic - the Fung books make the science make sense for me.  Once I know that what I'm going through is perfectly normal and actually quite healthy as opposed to what modern doctorin' would try to convince you of, I feel way better about doing this without medical intervention.  Fung is quite easy to read and easy to listen to, eh.  I wish everyone would read his books just to gain an understanding of how the body works and what the last 5 or 6 decades of decadence have done to the health of America and the world in general.  It's a sad thing.  Somehow seeing it in graphs and charts makes it more real.  The slides that show the prevalence of diabetes and obesity over time looks like the COVID page from JHU's CSSE dashboard.  Reading all this from the perspective of a nephrologist (sp?) is fascinating because he's seeing people at the end of their journey having taken the traditional medical path.  It's kind of a red pill blue pill thing when you read that these conditions are TOTALLY within your control with nothing but discipline between you and dialysis or amputated limbs...if you live that long.  Odds are that the cardiac complications will kill you first.  It's a happy read with a real feel good ending.  :)

All that makes perfect sense. As with LD riding, you have to learn you. In my case it was a matter of getting familiar with how I did things back in HS. Instead of eating when hungry and eating until (over?) full, I try and find activities that will get my focus off the hunger and it goes away and (as mentioned) only eating until "not hungry". Nice bonus is more things are getting done.

In a way... short-duration fasting might be a "squishy" definition for it.

Example was yesterday... hungry at 10am. Vacuumed and mopped and the next time I got hungry was around 4pm (and it more of a "hollow" feeling than hunger pangs).  In HS it got to where I was seldom hungry and, instead, got more of a "speed" feeling (also great for getting things done).  It explains why I was 5' 11" and 135 when I went into the army and 310 and 5' 10.5" when starting the "roll back".

And my maternal family Dust Bowl/Depression heritage is slaked by the great reduction in consumption of supporting supplies like TP (and even food since it goes farther). Nice bene during the COVID Collapse.

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
“The Evening and the Morning”
Ken Follett

I think this is the 7th or 8th of his books that I’ve read.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2021, 05:14:48 AM »
Online Dailies, daily:
CBC News
BBC News
The Guardian
New York Times
Cape Times (S. Africa)
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »
Online Dailies, daily:
CBC News
BBC News
The Guardian
New York Times
Cape Times (S. Africa)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udlgkKGRYs

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
Just finished A pale Light In the Black K.B.Wagers
Stated Death and Honor Web Griffin
n
VIVA EL STINKO

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2021, 05:40:42 PM »
My wife and I eliminated carbs and sugars a couple of years ago, I lost 60lbs and got my A1C back to non-diabetic. While our house was being built we were staying at one of our daughters whose 4 kids have the run of their 5 acres and burn 15000 calories a day. They of course eat accordingly and so did we, with pretty predictable results. My wife has managed to keep slim and trim while I sadly did not, with my weight up and my A1C creeping back up.

I guess like a lot of engineery type guys I have an insatiable need to understand everything down to picking the fly shit out of the pepper. For that reason the books are a Godsend for me.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
I've been reading Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.  He's a former trader, lately academic, who studies risk and such.  The theory of this book is that biology and human social systems (government, economics, infrastructure design) can be classified according to how they react to external variances.  A fragile system breaks on modest variances in environment, a robust system holds the same, but certain systems actually grow stronger when subject to external pressures (to a point).  He calls such systems antifragile, and then proceeds to describe how they work and can be implemented for a stronger society.  Think of how the body becomes stronger when exercised, but weakens when not subject to environmental stressors such as the need to run or to lift things. 

He includes a critique of modern medical theory and encouragement for periodic fasting, Vulcanbill's point.  More specifically, he advocates that humans didn't evolve with three squares a day and a complete blend of nutrients at every meal.  His point is that periodic fasting, and eating foods seasonally or having meatless days, encourages our bodies to better absorb and hold onto nutrients.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2021, 11:05:48 AM »
I've been reading Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.  He's a former trader, lately academic, who studies risk and such.  The theory of this book is that biology and human social systems (government, economics, infrastructure design) can be classified according to how they react to external variances.  A fragile system breaks on modest variances in environment, a robust system holds the same, but certain systems actually grow stronger when subject to external pressures (to a point).  He calls such systems antifragile, and then proceeds to describe how they work and can be implemented for a stronger society.  Think of how the body becomes stronger when exercised, but weakens when not subject to environmental stressors such as the need to run or to lift things. 

He includes a critique of modern medical theory and encouragement for periodic fasting, Vulcanbill's point.  More specifically, he advocates that humans didn't evolve with three squares a day and a complete blend of nutrients at every meal.  His point is that periodic fasting, and eating foods seasonally or having meatless days, encourages our bodies to better absorb and hold onto nutrients.
My maternal Grandfather spent his entire life in pursuit of bacon and eggs, butter and marzipan, laekerli and pfeffernuss, wine and rye whiskey.
His greatest delight was ferreting out the marrow from a well roasted bone, to be spread liberally on his toast.
He lived to 96, most happily. :shrug:

"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2021, 01:21:26 PM »
Finished  Impactby Douglas Preston

Started Hells Highwayby George Koskimski
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »
The Rook: MUCH better than the TV series (so far). More complex. Not just the main character has powers. Lots of detail into the hierarchy of the powers-based shadow enforcement agency.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
So two different members of the forum for my specific motorcycle had used a pic of Christopher Hitchins as an avatar.  This piqued my interest.  So I happened upon one of his books while perusing something to read from my online local library service. The book they had is called God is not Great, and as you can guess, is an argument against religious institutions and beliefs. It was well written and well researched, and didn't just fall into name calling or insult.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
Holy cow! If The Rook series had followed the book more closely, I'd have been glued to it without the distractions that creep into TV expositional drama.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2021, 04:05:20 PM »
Mad Dogs by James Grady
VIVA EL STINKO

Online MrsCablebandit

• Pineapple Ponderings
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »
Just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett for the neighborhood book club's February meeting. It was a great read, pace-wise. I read almost the entire book in one day. I'm not thrilled with the ending...lots of things unresolved, unanswered, and ambiguous. But I'd still recommend it because it poses a lot of provocative questions and scenarios. Just the thought of trying to cast this if it were to become a movie is  :headscratch:...who? how? Wow.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #191 on: Yesterday at 01:07:15 PM »
The God Project by Stan Lee
VIVA EL STINKO