Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EOE: Aluminum trailer  (Read 407 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Re: EOE: Aluminum trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
If you have the room to store it, there are ALWAYS uses for a trailer and alum will last well.  That's a fair bit more trailer than you'll need for hauling a bike and most home uses.  Make sure you find out the weight and the capacity and make sure you have something that can pull it.  It might be heavier than expected.  You can get a really nice smaller trailer for the same purposes for well under 2 grand new so keep that in mind. 

Different size and capacities I'm sure given the single axle but just a reference point for pricing.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-55-x-10-ft-square-carry-on-trailer-55x10gwhdp

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 03:16:37 PM »
That's a nice trailer, and if you know its history, that's a plus.  Tandem, already built sides, slide out ramp, looks like LED lighting. Can't see if it has spring or torsion axles.

It's more than you say you'll need, but it's always good to have more trailer than you need, especially if its lightweight.
I imagine it weighs about 1300 pounds as it sits, and would easily haul a small heavy duty tractor, like a Kubota with a loader or backhoe.

A quick look shows similar used priced at $2500 to $3000.

I think its a good to really good deal unless it needs a lot of work.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
Or save some money and just borrow my truck when needed? :shrug:
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:54 PM »
The pics in your ink, look like a sturdy trailer with a lot of good attributes. As a two axle, the trailer by DOT, you will need axle brakes. The trailer may have them, but does your vehicle? If not connecting a brake controller is not a big deal, wires, connectors and finding a place to mount it near the driver. The brake controller is going to add a few $$ and the time to wire into your vehicle. 
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »
What Bill said.   Many years ago I bought a used steel trailer for 400 bucks.   Great for hauling yard stuff, big furniture etc., and I never worry about it getting dirty or banged up hauling firewood or mulch.  I've hauled up to a ton of stone in it.  Just don't exceed the towing capacity of whatever you're hauling it with.  Best money I ever spent.

Never had to use it to tow a bike, but it is easier to load than a pickup truck.

SOMEDAY I might just pick up a little dual-sport.   Hopefully...
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:03:21 AM »
And we have a PU parked in our driveway. I helped BiL load his C14 in the back of his truck. Not sure I want to do that solo.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:53 AM »
What Bill said.   Many years ago I bought a used steel trailer for 400 bucks.   Great for hauling yard stuff, big furniture etc., and I never worry about it getting dirty or banged up hauling firewood or mulch.  I've hauled up to a ton of stone in it.  Just don't exceed the towing capacity of whatever you're hauling it with.  Best money I ever spent.

Never had to use it to tow a bike, but it is easier to load than a pickup truck.

I anticipate this being the year of the small DS.  Get on the bandwagon now so you're ready when I start calling out local DS rides in the WV National Forests.  :)  I fully expect Smoker, Cablebandit, and possibly others to have small DS bikes this year.  Just a feeling I have.  You don't want to feel left out, do ya?  And you just said you have a trailer to haul it if you don't want to ride WAY down here.   ;D
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
 ;)

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:33:58 AM »

I anticipate this being the year of the small DS.  Get on the bandwagon now so you're ready when I start calling out local DS rides in the WV National Forests.  :)  I fully expect Smoker, Cablebandit, and possibly others to have small DS bikes this year.  Just a feeling I have.  You don't want to feel left out, do ya?  And you just said you have a trailer to haul it if you don't want to ride WAY down here.   ;D

Why buy when I have such great friends? :bigok:

Not happening this year.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »

See CL platinum thread.  Just sayin

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
When I get in a bind and need to move something.  I wander over to Lowes or Home Depot and rent a truck for $15.00 a day.  Funny thing is you don't have to buy anything at Lowes or Home Depot to rent their trucks. 

Unlike U-haul the speedometer registers correctly.  As I said last time I U-Hauled (to the manager).  I was not going 35 mph in your parking lot and it was not 1 mile from the back of the lot to the street.
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »
Unless they recently changed their rates, a HD truck was about $22/hour or $69/day.  I wrote lots of those rental agreements.
--Tom

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
Oops re-checked.  $19.00 for 75 minutes in our area for a flat bed or van.  $29.00 for a box.  Guess my wife paid that bill must not have taken too long to load up and return.

It was a shit load of mulch.  Don't worry about the mule looking poorly just load the wagon.
They have indicated that I could be orange.