Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 818 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Fasting
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
Intermittent fasting is all the rage and I must say, I'm a believer.  I've done the research.  As long as you're smart about it, keep your salts and fluids up (by drinking salty fluids duh) there is no real danger to not eating.  There's plenty of sciency stuff to prove it.  I can provide if requested.  During my initial weight loss, I did several multi-day fasts.  Started at 36 hours.  Then did a 48 a couple times.  I did one almost 96 hour fast but that's as far as I've dabbled. 

I'm fasting now as a way to do a hard boot of my body back to full fat burning mode as well as just the experience and discipline of it.  The last thing I ate was a salad thing Sunday night.  I'm currently at hour 85 in my most recent fast.  This one has been different somehow.  I'm not struggling at all with hunger.  I'm drinking a big Nalgene bottle each day of a salty elixer I mix up in the morning.  It consists of a bottle of sparkling water, about a half cup or so of either olive juice or pickle juice, a shot of lemon juice and a shot of apple cider vinegar then top off with well water.  If I get any communications from my stomach, I just take a hit of that throughout the day.  Given that this one has been so much easier, I'm presented with the question of when to break it.  I've seen a bunch of videos of folks doing 5 day or 10 day or even much longer fasts with dramatic results.  Truth is, I'm down nearly 10 lbs from last Friday already and I feel amazing.  Even working out while fasting seems better although I am backing off the cardio time a bit just so I don't mess up my salt balance too much.  I sweat pretty heavily and can deplete a lot of fluids in a hard 30 min workout. 

So, have you ever tried it?  Do you think you could?  It's a really interesting way to do a figurative and literal gut check. 

My mantra when I consider weakness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
Re: Fasting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
edited to add that I top off the elixer w/ well water.

accidentally hit quote the first time and I can't see a way to delete posts.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
Not a fan myself, but if it works for you then go for it. I eat mostly leafy greens, eggs and fish in olive oil. Then I sabotage it by drinking a mug or two of red wine. I feel much better without the processed foods but I have to eat something.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
my Dad used to this a lot back in the day and it worked well for him. I'm a believer, although I don't do it much. I think it is how are bodes were designed to work. 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
my Dad used to this a lot back in the day and it worked well for him. I'm a believer, although I don't do it much. I think it is how are bodes were designed to work.

Yeah but people don't want to hear that.  How much of human history, however much of it you believe exists, has involved a gross abundance of available foods?  Not much.  Feast or famine is a thing.  Still is in a large %age of the world. 

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »
I've been doing a daily 18 hour fast, only eating between noon and 6 on. I try to eat unprocessed foods, mostly eggs, chicken, and vegetables.

I can tell you I feel a whole lot better now. I was always tired in the past and would develop random bouts of nasuea. Since changing my diet my energy levels are trough the roof.

I too agree that our bodies are not programmed for all this readily available processed food. I know for a fact that cutting out carbs and sugar has helped how I feel and increased my energy levels immensely.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
I've been doing a daily 18 hour fast, only eating between noon and 6 on. I try to eat unprocessed foods, mostly eggs, chicken, and vegetables.

I can tell you I feel a whole lot better now. I was always tired in the past and would develop random bouts of nasuea. Since changing my diet my energy levels are trough the roof.

I too agree that our bodies are not programmed for all this readily available processed food. I know for a fact that cutting out carbs and sugar has helped how I feel and increased my energy levels immensely.

Have you noticed the increased clarity of mind?  That and the decreased inflammation i.e., reduced pain everywhere, are the best parts for me. 

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
I've done a few stretches of the 16 hour fast. I eat between 12:00 - 20:00. It works for me, but probably mostly because it keeps me from snacking all morning, and eating late in the evening. I couldn't do it while I was on holiday, but i'll go back to it now that I'm home.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
Have you noticed the increased clarity of mind?  That and the decreased inflammation i.e., reduced pain everywhere, are the best parts for me.

I guess I would consider it to be better focus. I have so much more energy when I'm eating right that it's easier for me to focus and complete tasks quickly at work.

I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times in the last year, especially over the holidays. Eating lots of sugar and carbs in those periods. When that happens, I almost feel bloated with increased inflammation in my body.

I have also suffered from migraines my whole life and I noticed that getting off sugar has almost eliminated my migraines. When I start eating sugar again, I start to once again experience headaches.

If somebody told me this change in my diet would have these effects, I would have told them they were full of shit. Having experienced the change in how I feel, I'm a believer.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
AND 108 hours total fast.  Started messing with my sleep so I'm done.  Still not really hungry in the traditional sense.  More of a psychological obsession with food that became uncomfortable and wouldn't let me sleep.  At 2am, I was sitting in the living room thinking about the leftover muffins and banana nut bread from the conference yesterday. 

There's a smart way to break a fast (guess where the word breakfast comes from) and that's not what I did at all.  :)  Got to work, had a cup of warm broth.  That's smart.  Then you're supposed to wait at least an hour before introducing the next thing.  Within about 35 minutes, I was plowing 4 fried eggs.  Shortly after that, there may or may not have been banana bread.  Shortly after that, coffee with creamer.  :) 

If nothing else, fasting renews your love of the taste of pretty much everything.  The broth was delicious.  The eggs were amazing.  The banana bread was just next level pleasure and it probably wasn't even very good banana bread.  And the hazelnut creamer in my coffee is magnifique'.  :)

And I killed the weigh in at 10.5 lbs down from last Friday.  But one would expect that.  The guy who had a colonoscopy Tuesday was only down 7.5 lbs. 

And now I begin preparations for the aftermath of not easing back into it like I should have...

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »
AND 108 hours total fast.  Started messing with my sleep so I'm done.  Still not really hungry in the traditional sense.  More of a psychological obsession with food that became uncomfortable and wouldn't let me sleep.  At 2am, I was sitting in the living room thinking about the leftover muffins and banana nut bread from the conference yesterday. 

There's a smart way to break a fast (guess where the word breakfast comes from) and that's not what I did at all.  :)  Got to work, had a cup of warm broth.  That's smart.  Then you're supposed to wait at least an hour before introducing the next thing.  Within about 35 minutes, I was plowing 4 fried eggs.  Shortly after that, there may or may not have been banana bread.  Shortly after that, coffee with creamer.  :) 

If nothing else, fasting renews your love of the taste of pretty much everything.  The broth was delicious.  The eggs were amazing.  The banana bread was just next level pleasure and it probably wasn't even very good banana bread.  And the hazelnut creamer in my coffee is magnifique'.  :)

And I killed the weigh in at 10.5 lbs down from last Friday.  But one would expect that.  The guy who had a colonoscopy Tuesday was only down 7.5 lbs. 

And now I begin preparations for the aftermath of not easing back into it like I should have...

My only real comment about this...^^^This picture brought me a brief moment of joy in a week of Mondays.

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
One caveat, although you seem pretty informed:

i know a guy who was morbidly obese, and who went on an all liquid diet.  He lost a metric ton of weight, faster than his skin could shrink.

When he went back to solid food, he put on a metric ton and a half. 

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
I think the problem is most people try to go on a diet, when instead they need to make a lifestyle change.

I always say that whatever you do to lose weight has to be sustainable.  Going on a liquid diet is not sustainable and will just lead to binge eating later. Let's face it, most of us are overweight because of a lack of excercise and poor eating habits.

I think fasting can be a key part of healthy eating.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 10:45:23 PM »
I think the problem is most people try to go on a diet, when instead they need to make a lifestyle change.

I always say that whatever you do to lose weight has to be sustainable.  Going on a liquid diet is not sustainable and will just lead to binge eating later. Let's face it, most of us are overweight because of a lack of excercise and poor eating habits.

I think fasting can be a key part of healthy eating.

^That right there- truth.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »

Exactly. Diets are fad-ish and short-term. Lifestyle habits take time but can be sustained for life. And I speak from experience. I have lost nearly 100# in the past 2 years; 1# at a time. Cut out the sodas and processed snacks (salty or sweet it doesn't matter) completely. I log all my intake into My Fitness Pal and use their "heart healthy" option to set daily goals.  It's not magic but then I didn't add the weight overnight either.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
It's not magic but then I didn't add the weight overnight either.

I wish it was as easy to take off as it was to put on. ;D

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
My schedule has turned in to daily intermittent fasting pretty organically.

Thanks to my thyroid meds, I can't eat or drink anything other than water for the first two hours after taking the meds, which I have to take after ~12 hours of no food intake, so I take them as soon as I wake up.

Working at home full time, excepting unusually-scheduled stuff, I'm getting up probably 60-90 minutes later each day than when I was at the corporate gig.

I have a daily 8:30am "status meeting", that often turns to other subjects, usually with the meeting ending with the boss saying, "Chris, can you get me that by early afternoon today?" - far later than a typical status meeting should last.

So it's lunch time and after before I go near my first food of the day, and it's usually a quick thing, then a full meal real lunch or early dinner somewhere between 3-4pm, then rinse and repeat the following day. I *might* have some kind of health(-ish) snack in the evenings, but that's no kind of typical thing, and almost never after about 7pm; I can't sleep well on a very full stomach anyway.

Combine that with not having any soda or sugary drinks in a while, and barely going anywhere near alcohol in a couple months, and having my thyroid meds adjusted, I've dropped *almost* 20 lbs in the last two months. Not drinking much isn't even a choice, really - mostly I just don't want to spend the money (because I don't have it) for the stuff I *like*, and there's no way I'm wasting that many calories and feeling like a bucket of ass on cheap liquor or shitty pedestrian beer. I have standards!!! ;)

So yeah, I've got a few things coming together at the same time, but it does seem to work, and more so when it's something that's lifestyle supported, and not that you're shoe-horning into a typical 3-meal-and-snacks-a-day typical schedule and mindset. That's huge. If you get through the adjustment period, eating one big and one light meal a day now feels perfectly fine. Once I get back on the bicycle as the weather improves, I expect to fill in some protein snacks here and there, but I want to avoid going back to more and bigger meals.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 10:08:56 AM »
Follow up point, I don't even bother trying to ride the bicycle in overly-cold or hot conditions any more. Just doesn't matter. One of the side effects of having a rusted-on-the-vine thyroid that requires daily meds is WAY less tolerance to heat or code, and I seem to be the poster child for that. I mean W-A-Y less tolerance. :(

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 07:20:16 PM »
Follow up point, I don't even bother trying to ride the bicycle in overly-cold or hot conditions any more. Just doesn't matter. One of the side effects of having a rusted-on-the-vine thyroid that requires daily meds is WAY less tolerance to heat or code, and I seem to be the poster child for that. I mean W-A-Y less tolerance. :(

Man, that's gotta be a real pain!  Don't you write code for a living?   :P

Paging Dr. Freud

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 10:05:08 PM »
GAAAHHHH!! hehehehe. Total freudian slip. Cold, yes... cold. :)

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
It's a code in the noze thing.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
It's a code in the noze D* thing.

*elaware
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
Thread resurrector extraordinaire...

Gonna try another fast this week. Last food was a can of chicken soup and a bowl of popcorn Friday night. Wish me luck.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »
Good luck!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 01:04:07 PM »
67 hours and counting.  No issues.  Well, except being obsessed with youtube recipe videos.  :)