Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *Click*!  (Read 6319 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
*Click*!
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
Lately when I back the 'busa up, like leaving the garage in the morning, once in a while I'll hear and feel a *click* from the front end and once I heard a *click* *click*. It's been going on for the past month. I first noticed it on my Christmas ride; I backed the bike up to the curb after riding from Jeanne's place to my cousin's.

I looked to see if I'd run over anything and didn't see anything amiss. I jiggled the tire while it was parked and didn't feel anything wrong. A few years back I had the front bearings go and replaced them and the rear wheel bearings with sealed bearings so I know how that feels, not that it necessarily means it's _not_ the sealed bearings of course.

Once home again, I put the bike up on the front and rear stands but didn't find anything out of sorts then either.

It's done it a few times since then, including this morning. I was thinking it might just be the brake pads sticking to the rotor. It's been a while since I needed to replace them but who knows, it might be time.

Ideas on what I can check?

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: *Click*!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »
Fork legs? Backing will load them differently, especially with a little brake.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline marc11

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
Yep sounds like the springs moving a bit. Not unusual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »
check your brake rotors, the KTM's floating design floats enough to be heard when pushing the bike around.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
I'll check the fork legs then. I haven't changed the oil in them since I had the springs replaced years ago. I honestly never thought about them until you guys mentioned it. The front end does seem a bit wonky lately but you know how that is, you hear a funny noise and _everything_ becomes suspicious :)

And I'll check the brakes again just to make sure too, thanks.

Carl

Offline Prubert

• Contributor
  • I'm HUGE in Japan
  • Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:02 AM »
Check your Steering Head, it may be the clicking you are hearing.

My bike was doing the same thing when I was backing it up and I went in a tightened the steering head and viola, it was gone.
Prubert
‘13 KTM SM-T
Waukesha, WI

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »
Steering head bearings.

Put it on the centerstand, and have someone sit on the passenger seat so the front wheel is off the ground.

Grab the front axle and try to move it fore and aft. You will probably feel loseness.

You might be able to tighten them temporarily, but since your bike is a 2002, they probably need replaced.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
I'll check that too. I'd planned on having them replaced back when I had the front and rear wheels done but it was a bit more work than the wheels (3 sets for the rear wheel).

No center stand though but I'll figure something out. I did want to have them replaced anyway so if I'm poking around getting the oil replaced in the forks, etc I may as well get that done too.

Carl

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
another suggeestion to check out your sterring head bears . . .the busa isn't a lightweight, and they can encourage spirited riding, yes?

;-}
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
And the best advice...

If none of those suggestions lead you to the problem... shake your head from side to side and then wait. If you hear clicking, get your marbles checked.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
So it seems to be the left front wheel bearing. I just pulled the front tire off. The right side is solid. The only movement is circular. The left one moves a little, 1/16" or so.

I'm ready to get a pair of replacements but thought I'd mention it for a dissenting opinion.

Other suggestions? I think the bearings need to be done as there shouldn't be any movement.

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
Replace both wheel bearings. If the click continues, that wasn't it.  ;)

The upside is they probably needed to be replaced anyway.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
I did replace them a few years back, probably around 70k miles. I'm at 130k so yea, it may be due. The first time half the bearings were gone or paste. This time it's much more subtle. Perhaps because I experienced it before I'm quicker at identifying the problem.

Carl

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Check the calipers too. The 94 VFR I bought recently with 126K on it has worn caliper bodies i.e. the calipers are slack on the mounting pins. Not enough to be worrisome, but it's noticeable.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
So it seems to be the left front wheel bearing. I just pulled the front tire off. The right side is solid. The only movement is circular. The left one moves a little, 1/16" or so.

I'm ready to get a pair of replacements but thought I'd mention it for a dissenting opinion.

Other suggestions? I think the bearings need to be done as there shouldn't be any movement.

Carl

Quit doing wheelies.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
I've actually never done a wheelie.

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Interesting. The specs for a front wheel bearing is 25mmx52mmx15mm, model 6250. In checking on line, you can get open, shielded, or sealed bearings. The ABEC is either 1 or not mentioned (1 is lowest precision, 9 is highest). My original ones were open and lasted about 60k miles or so. The replacements were sealed and lasted about 60k miles or so.

There is quite a price variance though. From 3.70 each to almost $30 each. I restricted my searches to ones with an ABEC number identified and filtered out the ones that had incorrect information (1" Inner Diameter; 25mm is 1.05") and purchased a pair. Should be in by Saturday.

Carl

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »
I was thinking it might just be the brake pads sticking to the rotor. It's been a while since I needed to replace them but who knows, it might be time.

Ideas on what I can check?

Carl

That's what I'd check first. Stiction in the calipers and/or master cylinder, or the pad(s) might just be rocking around in a sloppy anti-rattle clip. Worth pulling all the calipers, checking for snug fit of the anti-rattle hardware, then clean the exterior of the calipers, clean the mounting hardware, then reinstall and bleed the system.

Cheap insurance.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
I removed the bearings. The good side was just fine and still had the grease we applied when putting it on. The inner seal of the bad side failed and slid down the spacer scoring it up. About a third of the bearings were gone and two were close. Popping out the last two let me drop the center down and remove it from the outer race.

Turns out no dust covers so I've ordered them. Should be in Friday.

Another week of no riding :(

Carl