Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workouts - An update  (Read 179 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Workouts - An update
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:22:22 PM »
In the diabetes thread, I mentioned losing 40 lbs and reversing T2D in 90 days.  In the Change is Good thread, I mentioned getting a new job.

Update:  The new job allows me to work out at lunch every day.  I have been doing so for the last several months.  There are some really nice pieces of equipment in there.  I have access to a nice Matrix brand treadmill, recumbent bike, and elliptical as well as a Bowflex Revolution and a very basic bench press.  Here's where I am today.  Keep in mind that 6 months ago I couldn't do a single push up and could hardly walk up my driveway.

Upper body - These numbers mean very little cuz each machine is VERY different than the others.  What one says is 100 lbs is nothing like what another one feels like at 100 lbs. 

Pull downs using bench (converted to pull downs)- 110lbs - 3 sets - 25, 20 and 15 reps
Narrow Pull downs using Bowflex - 80 lbs - 25 reps
Wide pull downs using Bowflex - 80 lbs - 25 reps
Chest press using Bowflex - 60 lbs - 20 reps
Push ups - 3 sets - 20, 15 and 10 - Was using a small piece of conduit about 2' off the ground for pushups just so I could get muscle built up without reaching muscle failure after 5 reps.  Just today I started just doing them on the ground.  Was doing 25, 20, 15 but gravity is no joke so I had to back off a little.  Will get back up soon.

Side to side twist using a piece of 2" conduit about 7 feet long on my shoulders with my hands on the end.  100 reps with a rep being left and right side to the front.

Cardio:
Somewhere between 20 and 35 minutes on the elliptical.  Sometimes intervals, sometimes just a steady half hour of slogging along with a heart rate hovering around 150 - 155.  My max according to the most basic calculation of 220 minus age is 170.  That puts me at about 90%.  I just finished 30 minutes at level 8 of like 20.  When I finished, I was drenched and spent.  Plenty of room for improvement left on that machine.  Tho level 20 I couldn't even move the thing so I don't know what monster that is for.

Overall, I feel amazing.  There are muscles popping out that I've never seen before and others I have not seen in decades.  Weight loss has stalled a little and I've even gained a few lbs but that doesn't really surprise me based on what I've read about putting on lean muscle.  Still too much belly but I'll cross that bridge later.  The absolute best part is the subtle way that my wife lingers her touch on my arms or shoulders or legs.  She seems pretty happy with the changes.  They're subtle and slow moving but it's coming along quite nicely.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm still just a short, old, fat guy.  But I'll be a butterfly one day.

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Projects, parts, and a cheap Nighthawk.
Re: Workouts - An update
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
Good to hear!
I'm fat, and feel like crap.  Can't seem to get going on making the changes required to fix that.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
Good to hear!
I'm fat, and feel like crap.  Can't seem to get going on making the changes required to fix that.

But you had been doing so well!

:'(
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:27:56 PM »
Excellent Bill.  :clap:  Pretty soon you won't need that trailer to haul logs.  You can just carry the logs up to the house by hand.  :bigsmile:

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
congrats on the progress!  after today's dr. appt. I apparently need to start doing the same thing.. I hope to be 1/2 as successful as you so thanks for setting the goal.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
Congrats on the persistence and willpower to keep up the exercise and fitness program, Bill!  That's one heck of a recommendation for getting healthy.
--Tom

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Projects, parts, and a cheap Nighthawk.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Good to hear!

Fell off the wagon hard...right into a giant bowl of ice cream.

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
Well done!
I too decided to change to healthier last fall, and the workouts I am doing have made a big difference in how I feel and my energy level. I am lifting free weights several times a week, good intense workouts, riding a stationary bike several times a week, and walking a lot. Better breathing, better BP .I am not having big weight loss, but I wasn't unhealthy in my eating before so i guess the flab is going to muscle mass.I have gone to a 5 day min on workouts, I save the weekends for wife, but we usally walk quite a bit those days too. i know now that a longer road trip isn't going to beat me to death, as even short days (By my standard ) last year wore me out.
Keep up the good work Bill, its the way to go.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
Well done!
I too decided to change to healthier last fall, and the workouts I am doing have made a big difference in how I feel and my energy level. I am lifting free weights several times a week, good intense workouts, riding a stationary bike several times a week, and walking a lot. Better breathing, better BP .I am not having big weight loss, but I wasn't unhealthy in my eating before so i guess the flab is going to muscle mass.I have gone to a 5 day min on workouts, I save the weekends for wife, but we usally walk quite a bit those days too. i know now that a longer road trip isn't going to beat me to death, as even short days (By my standard ) last year wore me out.
Keep up the good work Bill, its the way to go.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back at ya, brother!!  Well done.  Hearing stuff like this is motivating for me knowing there are others in the same boat.  I'm also hoping that this type of thread might serve as a catalyst for someone else who needs a boost.  :) 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:56 AM »
Good to hear!

Fell off the wagon hard...right into a giant bowl of ice cream.

Luckily the wagon is really good about people getting back on again. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
I love reading stories like this. So many people get to a certain point in life and give up on themselves. You're proof that with motivation change is possible. Good luck getting your health back!

I'd like to caution you, as someone who's been there, to please be very strict about proper form during exercise, any weight bearing exercise especially. Older bones/ligaments/tendons/joints/ etc are more prone to injury and are a stone cold bitch to rehab.  :)
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife