Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternative to fly n ride?  (Read 214 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
Alternative to fly n ride?
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »
The lawyers are talking to my brother and I about "settlement" of our accident last summer, which means checks, which means new bikes for both of us (eventually, we still don't know when, or how much).
So...  my brother and I are shopping more seriously.
He's going to get a DCT Goldwing to replace his F6B.  Russellville Honda (Ark) has great deals on them (that's where he got his F6B, in an awesome custom bright orange).
Las Vegas BMW has an awesome deal on '19 Street Twins...  I haven't fully decided that's what I want but it's the current mind candy...

We're both retired, so we have more time than money.  Is there a cheaper alternative to 'fly and ride' (other than greyhound)??
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Re: Alternative to fly n ride?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
In most cases yes, catch a redeye months in advance and I get there cheap. The bus is painfully slow and stops at many towns in transit. If you have loads of time that will be cheaper but one caveat, the bottom of the barrel rides the bus and makes for an interesting crew to roll with...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:15:10 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Projects, parts, and a cheap Nighthawk.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »
Train?  Not as crappy as a bus - buy maybe way too expensive...

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
Train?  Not as crappy as a bus - buy maybe way too expensive...
Hmm
Milw to Vegas;  $166  25 hours  over night  so I'd sleep a good portion of it.  2 checked bags included.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
Hitchhiking ??

I agree with the guy from Virginia.   Cheap airfare would certainly be my choice and my recommendation.   If you have a flexible date and time of day you can often get extremely inexpensive tickets, especially if you can plan well in advance.    On occasion you can also find last minute cheap tickets to certain destinations but those are infrequent these days.   You'll probably be able to find a cheap airfare to Las Vegas.    I think Russellville is going to be a tougher destination.   Little Rock is the closest decent sized airport and it is still 80 miles away.  Maybe a bus for the last 80 miles out I-40.

The only other option I have used is to find a super low rate one-way rental car.   These tend to be available in certain seasons when the companies need cars shuttled from one area to another; usually from the north to the south in early winter and vice versa in the Spring.   You still need to pay for gas so a really cheap airfare may still be a better find.   

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:32 PM »
I don't see how I/we could be flexible.   I/we'd need to have a firm deal on a specific bike before getting tickets...

Also, what's the best way to pay / transfer money?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 09:17:16 PM »
If it's a store I leave a deposit and take a cashiers check for the remainder, if it's a private sale cash. I have been doing fly and rides for decades and it has never been a problem.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
Also, check bike shipping services. When I bought the HD XR1200 I happened upon a "winter special" for $400 to my door. Clearly, that was an exception and worth the coin to me.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:44 PM »
Woah, flights aren't as expensive as I'd assumed...
Las V; $116
Little R;  $129
and these were on the first date I picked (a Wednesday), on google.com/flights

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
Also, check bike shipping services. When I bought the HD XR1200 I happened upon a "winter special" for $400 to my door. Clearly, that was an exception and worth the coin to me.
My bro checked bike shipping when he got his F6B in '17.   It was considerably more and he would still have to go there in person to pay and sign for the bike, and wait around for it to be crated (I think at an additional cost) and picked up.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »
Im.not sure who he checked with but crating has never been an option. They have carriers set up for bikes. They roll them up and strap them down, done and dusted. Just sharing few ways that planned out for me. Good luck, congrats and keep us posted. :)

Online minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
In this day and age, the funds can be transferred from you to the shop via electronic banking. Easy, Peasy- if deciding to have it dropped shipped. No fuss, no muss.
old enough to know better

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
My bro checked bike shipping when he got his F6B in '17.   It was considerably more and he would still have to go there in person to pay and sign for the bike, and wait around for it to be crated (I think at an additional cost) and picked up.

It's never just the air travel. There are a lot of other costs that are often more in total than a cheap flight. Cheap flights are easy to find.

FWIW, I've shipped three bikes so far... one purchase, one sale, one ship-it-and-ride-it-home. In every case, it was $500-$600, and that includes two of those being shipped coast to coast. The overall scheme of things, $500 to get a bike to me / from me is trivial when factored against 1) my potential time lost unless I'm making it vacation time, 2) the aggravation because NO plan ever survives first contact with an enemy, and/or 3) the percentage points that shipping costs is compared to the overall purchase. I can spend $500 in air travel, hotels, gas, food, and advil, or I can stay home waiting out the cold and rain, without riding in potentially shit weather, etc.

It all just comes down to when, and if I've got other things going on.

Me? Right now? I'd have it shipped. Me? Three months from now? I'd fly and ride. Neither choice is a universally bad one.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
I'd just find one within about 400 miles and go get it on a free day.  If there isn't one, I'd wait for one. 

Says the guy who drove from WV to Clio, MI to buy a camper.  But that was a known vacation integration. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 08:57:30 AM »
I know these shipping folks are pretty good.  Harley Davidson uses them for single bike transfers dealer to dealer.  Me?  I have the time, so I fly and ride, but I don't buy bikes in Dec, Jan or Feb because snow up here. 

https://haulbikes.com

Spirit Air flies from Chicago O'Hare to Vegas on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for under $100 normally.
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
Im.not sure who he checked with but crating has never been an option. They have carriers set up for bikes. They roll them up and strap them down, done and dusted. Just sharing few ways that planned out for me. Good luck, congrats and keep us posted. :)

Allied is one of the best; a lot of their dedicated vehicle-moving trucks have berths built into the trailer for bikes. Each in their own little cubbies with dedicated strap down points, tire rails/chocks, etc. They've got it down to a real science.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
Woah, flights aren't as expensive as I'd assumed...
Las V; $116
Little R;  $129
and these were on the first date I picked (a Wednesday), on google.com/flights

I was just about to say that I wasn't sure about Little Rock.  But you can always get cheap flights to Vegas!

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Projects, parts, and a cheap Nighthawk.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
I’ve used Federal transport before, that went fine.  Also had a guy with an old Ford Escape deliver one.  That went well - at least for me...

Easy to shop around and see what they offer.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
do you have access to Allegiant airlines? they are crazy cheap, my wife and flew from Rapid city to vegas for $80
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:42 AM »
I’ve used Federal transport before, that went fine.  Also had a guy with an old Ford Escape deliver one.  That went well - at least for me...

Easy to shop around and see what they offer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We made it home.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
You are all enablers
And I can't thank you enough

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »
You are all enablers

ST.O - finding all the best crack deals for all the weakest of wills since... ;)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »
You are all enablers

ST.O - finding all the best crack deals for all the weakest of wills since... ;)

:smiley_thumb:   Thankfully, I don't need help with my crazies.  Y'all would have me with a garage full of bikes.  NTTIAWWT.
--Tom

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 10:08:28 AM »
At one point, Liz and I each had two bikes, and I had two fix-n-flip projects in the garage. That's just too many (for me). I don't need multiple bikes... I think I'm just a serial seeker of the one best-for-me bike. Problem is... there's no such thing.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
At one point, Liz and I each had two bikes, and I had two fix-n-flip projects in the garage. That's just too many (for me). I don't need multiple bikes... I think I'm just a serial seeker of the one best-for-me bike. Problem is... there's no such thing.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly!! so, then it changed to one for the dirt and one for the street. Then it changed to one for the dirt one for the twisties, and one for in between.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Pikey van dweller
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
5 was my most at one time.  R1150GS Adv bike, Triumph Daytona sport bike, two dirt bikes XR600 and DR350  and the boy's trainer TS100. The wife was not amused. 
--Tom

Online Black Hills

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:51 AM »
Oh, I forgot the wife's TLR200 so that makes 4. We have an agreement she doesn't count motorcycles and I don't count horses. It's all peace love and happiness after that... ;) ;D