Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is that Jerry?  (Read 384 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Is that Jerry?
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:09:20 PM »
I see the st.n sticker on it at 3:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6w0VSofCA
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Is that Jerry?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »
Yup

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
The man, the myth the legend!
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »
"HIGHEST mileage EVER"  :rolleyes:

And then a dozen people in the comments point out that they have higher mileage bikes.

Why is 125,000 miles on a modern, liquid-cooled, 1.4-liter engine seen as a miracle these days?
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Somebody changed my profile!!!!!!
  • Motorcycles: My name is John and I have a motorcycle problem.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
If Ed were here he'd say "that's cute".
Tacos are life.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
If Ed were here he'd say "that's cute".

Followed by "what did you do after lunch?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »
Why is 125,000 miles on a modern, liquid-cooled, 1.4-liter engine seen as a miracle these days?

My credit union has a motorcycle buying guide on its website. They claim anything over 30,000 miles on a motorcycle is considered high mileage.

I had a good laugh over that one.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »
While moseying around a Harley dealership many years ago a kid came in with a late model Triumph.  When asking about his trade-in the dealer told him anything over 1500 miles a year was considered "excessive". 

Sounds like a nice weekend to me.

I kind of see their point though.  It has nothing to do with the mechanical soundness of the vehicle and everything to do with how quickly motorcycles depreciate.  Why would anyone bother buying my bike with 100,000 miles on it for basically nothing, when you can buy the same bike that nobody ever rode anywhere for the same "basically nothing" price.

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
Those mileage numbers are 50 years old.  Back then, high mileage on a car was 50,000.  You had to warm up the carburetor before you shifted into gear or it might stall.  Change the oil every 3,000 miles.  Replace the belts & hoses, flush the radiator, etc.  Many people still have the same maintenance mindset.  At 30k on a motorcycle, don't you need to replace the pistons and top end?

Still you have a valid point.  Why buy a motorcycle with 100 k on it when for a few hundred $s less, I can find one under 10k.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 08:28:22 PM »
Yep, just try selling a bike with 100k on the ODO  :lol:
You to potential buyer if there is one, "the bike runs great, burns no oil, all maintenance is up to date, tires are new, new battery, new hoses, the bike will be a great ride for years to come"
So so buyer, "holy crap how did you possibly get that many miles on a motorcycle, how much will you give for me to take it today?"

I gave my trusty ZX11d to a friend who needed a bike, knowing I had no hope in hell of selling it to anyone. ZX is still running strong, and will be for some time.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
Except among Airheadists.  When I got my /6, it showed 39K but had been in steady use for 30+ years so I joked that it might be 139K or 239K and I wasn't concerned.  5 digit odo, of course.

Since then I've picked up a /7 and an RS that have both been parked since the mid 80s.  30K and 15K on their odos respectively and quite believable that it's the first time through.  Their condition is such that I'm now thinking my /6 had in fact turned the odo over at least once.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
There’s not one of us who, for equal enough money, wouldn’t generally choose fewer miles. So, yeah, modern stuff lasts better but it still wears out. Be thankful it lasted. It’s generally more about the owner than the machine these days. Everyone builds a decent bike these days.
this signature on hold pending review