Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Columbia, SC?  (Read 501 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Columbia, SC?
« on: December 27, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
We will be in this region in the near future.  Congaree NP is on the (bucket) list just cuz.  Any absolute MUST DO items you'd recommend if there is only like a half day to play with?  Can't miss foods?  Must see attractions? 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Re: Columbia, SC?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »
Leeo45  lives in those parts and should be a good point of contact.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 11:44:55 PM »
I am actually a few hours from Columbia.   Any travel that way in the last 20 years has been on the way somewhere else so unfortunately I don't have any good insight.   I have some friends in Orangeburg which is just south of the NP.   I'll check with them and report back if they have any good suggestions.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
We’ve stopped in Columbia twice in the last few years.  Visiting state capitols is one of our punch list things.  Not much comes to mind.  Does the world’s largest fire hydrant or the tunnel vision wall mural sound interesting?  How about a Chicago style pizza pub that has awesome BBQ, a great beer collection and not a clue about what Chicago style pizza is?   That’s it, I'm out of ideas. 
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:44:53 PM »
So Maybe the National Park will be just fine.  I wonder if there are any food network gems in the area...  Triple D search commencing. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
Good luck Bill.  Here’s one place I always check. RoadsideAmerica SC map
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:27:43 AM »
Fun site. I thought you were being facetious about the fire hydrant. Kim's face lit up at the mention of the giant parking lot rooster tho.

Don't

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:08 PM »
I didn't get many ideas from my friend.   He grew up in SC and didn't seem to think there were a lot of great visitor sites in Columbia.    There are a couple of museums and the capitol and a botanical garden.    However he felt there were better examples of each along the eastern seaboard.   He said the NP was nice; mostly forest and wild areas along the river.   Not much in terms of developed visitor attractions but a good place to wind down and relax.   Sorry about not coming up with a spectacular list.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 08:36:10 AM »
No worries.  Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything very exciting.  Turns out there's some farm market / craft fair thing going on when we are there that will likely entertain her sufficiently for the short period of time we have free.  Looking forward to the park just for a nice long walk in the woods and on the boardwalk.

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »
Have a friend over on Lake Murray.  May want to try out a waterfront dining experience.

Dr. James Marion Sims, or visit this guys monument.  Should get you right up in the thick of conversation.
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »
Meh...  state park was ok. They need to drop some trees. As expected we didn’t have time for much else. Friday 8.5 hours point to point, Sat long walk with the boy then dragged trailer up to wedding venue. Came back late and set back up. Sunday was Congaree NP but it was mostly flooded. Hiked what we could then decided to go to GA for dinner. Found a dog park in Augusta for Hemi to stretch his legs. Got some mediocre Q then back to the campsite. Zero dark departure this AM then home by 3 to unload, dump, flush, and winterize trailer...again.