Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Movie What Ya Seen?  (Read 12603 times)

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
Re: New Movie What Ya Seen?
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »
Fatman. We enjoyed it. YMMV.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: BMW R1250RS
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
The mini-series, The Queen's Gambit, is a fantastic journey of a young savant from an orphanage to a renowned chess player.  It's based on a novel from Walter Tevis by the same name.  Tevis also wrote the novels, The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

This is a well-done series with fantastic acting by the lead, a great period feel, an a darn good story. 

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
The mini-series, The Queen's Gambit, is a fantastic journey of a young savant from an orphanage to a renowned chess player.  It's based on a novel from Walter Tevis by the same name.  Tevis also wrote the novels, The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

This is a well-done series with fantastic acting by the lead, a great period feel, an a darn good story.

+1   Aura and I finished watching it last week. Highly recommend it.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »
Finally got the chance to see Love and Monsters (2020). I admit, I didn't have any investment in it (since I didn't strictly pay for it), but I was pleasantly surprised. After a slightly slow start, it fleshed out well and became engaging. Can't help but appreciate a good 'End of the World' flick this year, and the effects weren't half bad.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
I watched "The Cruel Sea" again for the dozen-th time. It's got to be the best war time Navy movie ever. "In Harms Way" is probably the only American war movie that even comes close. Both are more of a character study than a blood and guts flag waver, if you haven't seen either one I highly recommend them both.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »
I finished "The Umbrella Academy" (well season 2).  It took me just a bit to warm up to, but I REALLY enjoyed it!

I also have been watching a whole bunch of "NOVA" episodes on Youtube.  I love that show.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »
I watched "The Cruel Sea" again for the dozen-th time. It's got to be the best war time Navy movie ever. "In Harms Way" is probably the only American war movie that even comes close. Both are more of a character study than a blood and guts flag waver, if you haven't seen either one I highly recommend them both.
The book its biased on was excellent too.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
I finished "The Umbrella Academy" (well season 2).  It took me just a bit to warm up to, but I REALLY enjoyed it!

I also have been watching a whole bunch of "NOVA" episodes on Youtube.  I love that show.
Us too and a lot of Nat Geo channel. Watched Virgin River on netflix, decent enough, love Transplant on NBC, not your typical medical show. Back into Chicago fire.
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
In Cold Blood ('nuf said)

High School High: John Lovitz and Tia Carrerra. Fun.

Rock N Roll High School: The Ramones. Need I say more?

Manhunter: The first of the Hannibal Lektor movies.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
Science geek alert:

If you're in to human origins and evolution, this one is AWESOME:

NOVA:  The Dawn of Humanity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLJAa5X4Fo
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
I lurve me some NOVA.

I use their stuff in many of my classes, or at least use their explanations to talk about some of the more esoteric physics stuff at a more understandable level.

For my own pure enjoyment, I like the archaeology, engineering and bio stuff the best, since I often learn new stuff in them.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline stevent

« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
We watched The Christmas Chronicles & Christmas Chronicles 2 over the weekend. Both pretty funny and worth a watch, if only for Kurt Russell's singing.

Of all the Hollywood types I like ol' Kurt and Goldie best, I really wish Goldie would lay off the botox though, it really takes away from what would be a very attractive lady.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk, 07 V-Strom

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2020, 09:39:45 AM »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Not new-2016. On Netflix now.

Oddball characters and goofy, sarcastic humor abound in this one. It has a few happy moments and a few sad ones, as well. Gorgeous scenery too. Overall a fun movie.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
We have been watching Counterpart on Prime.  What an amazingly good show it is.  The acting is stellar, the plot is appropriately convoluted (it is a spy story, after all) and the characters are very, very well developed.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
I saw Mank on Netflix last night. Loved it.
The romanticised story of Herman J. Mankiewicz, disputes who actually wrote Orson Welles' Citizen Kane.
Filmed in B&W, as a throwback to the 1940s, it shows the power, corruption & politics within the filmmaking industry in the great depression era.

I give it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ride safe!

Offline stevent

« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
I watched another excellent Russian tank movie called "The White Tiger" on YouTube, made in 2012, Russian with English subtitles. Really good flick, along the lines of High Plains Drifter, a combination of sci fi and action movie. Not the same plot but the same vibe..

If you're a fan of thoughtful foreign movies like me I think you'll find it watchable.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
We have been watching Counterpart on Prime.  What an amazingly good show it is.  The acting is stellar, the plot is appropriately convoluted (it is a spy story, after all) and the characters are very, very well developed.

Watched it when it first aired. Was sorry to see it go. That Farmer's Insurance guy has some acting chops.

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »

Watched it when it first aired. Was sorry to see it go. That Farmer's Insurance guy has some acting chops.

He has a whole rack of awards over the years- Oscars, SAG awards, so on- but all for supporting roles.

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

He has a whole rack of awards over the years- Oscars, SAG awards, so on- but all for supporting roles.

J.K. Simmons is his name and he was amazing in "Whiplash". Very good movie if you haven't seen it. Link to preview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1xkYYbYrY

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #270 on: December 20, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »

Just finished season 1. Couldn't agree more, great show. Because we watched that prime recommended Electric Dreams. Have seen two episodes so far, both were excellent. Along the lines of Black Mirror on Netflix but better.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2020, 08:58:38 AM »
First Cow - it is slow, so be warned, but was really well done and I found it very interesting. The main characters are engaging and the storyline was unique.

Breakout (Bruce Willis) - No. Just... no. Don't waste your time

Blackout (Russian) - eh, it was a long sci-fi with "aliens" attacking earth. Interesting if only because it was seen from a Russian perspective.

2067 - better than Breach. Started out terrible, but got "Ok". As one reviewer headlined it: "A boring, time-traveling climate change film"

Welcome to the holidays under lockdown, right?  :couch:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:23:00 AM by Mrs. DantesDame »
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
Black Sheep I will not say more other than you will laugh your ass off.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2020, 03:23:37 PM »
I watched another excellent Russian tank movie called "The White Tiger" on YouTube, made in 2012, Russian with English subtitles. Really good flick, along the lines of High Plains Drifter, a combination of sci fi and action movie. Not the same plot but the same vibe..

If you're a fan of thoughtful foreign movies like me I think you'll find it watchable.
I want to see that
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #274 on: December 22, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »
Horse Feathers (Marx Brothers): This may have been the first Marx Brothers movie I ever saw. Full of the hyper-kinetic comedy that stunned audiences of the time.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
We just wrapped up Sanditon on PBS.  It's based on an unfinished Jane Austin novel.  The story was very Austin, and the production took some liberties to add some of the less pleasant sides of life.  I don't know whether she was getting grittier in her latter years or if it was artistic license.  But the ending was decisively not what one expects of Austin.  There's scuttlebutt on the web that there might be a second season and speculation that the producer, who had been greenlighted only for this one season (that is, a miniseries only) purposefully made an unsatisfying ending to force a second season. 

We've also started Good Omens on Amazon Prime.  It's a comedy miniseries about Armageddon.  In brief, an angel and a demon like earth as it is, and team up to thwart the End of Days.  A lot of the humor is universal (demons filing memos and having productivity goals, etc.), but having a working knowledge of Christian theology and Western history helps with the inside jokes.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Greenland (2020)- End of the world movie that was much better than expected.

Hostiles (2017) - Western. Nice scenery, excellent acting, and a bit of a shallow storyline. Overall I liked it.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »

Good Omens on Amazon Prime.  It's a comedy miniseries about Armageddon.  In brief, an angel and a demon like earth as it is, and team up to thwart the End of Days.  A lot of the humor is universal (demons filing memos and having productivity goals, etc.), but having a working knowledge of Christian theology and Western history helps with the inside jokes.
Good One.
 :pope:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline stevent

« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »
Horse Feathers (Marx Brothers): This may have been the first Marx Brothers movie I ever saw. Full of the hyper-kinetic comedy that stunned audiences of the time.

"Sign here"
"what's that for?"
"In case you go insane"
"You can't fool me, I know there's no sanity clause"

:rolf: :rolf:

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »

"Sign here"
"what's that for?"
"In case you go insane"
"You can't fool me, I know there's no sanity clause"

:rolf: :rolf:

Great stuff and more in 1 minute than most movies have in their entirety.

In another of their movies, the Brothers are in various military uniforms with a battle raging somewhere outside. A shell goes through one window and out another. Groucho goes over and pulls down the blind on the entry window. Margaret Dumont asks Groucho what he's doing. "Defending your honor! Which is more than you ever did."

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »

Good Omens on Amazon Prime.  It's a comedy miniseries about Armageddon.  In brief, an angel and a demon like earth as it is, and team up to thwart the End of Days.  A lot of the humor is universal (demons filing memos and having productivity goals, etc.), but having a working knowledge of Christian theology and Western history helps with the inside jokes.
Good One.
 :pope:

Agreed. The book is absolutely fantastic, and they did a great job adapting it.

I’m less enthusiastic about the adaptation Guards! Guards! into The Watch, but I’ll probably give it a go.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline stevent

« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »
I watched one called "12th Man" staring Jonathan Rhys Myers as an SS officer in Norway hunting the survivor of a botched commando raid. All in Norwegian and German with no subtitles. Made in 2017, all shot on location. Excellent thriller / chase movie.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #282 on: December 26, 2020, 05:09:04 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984.
Ummmmm...the special effects are better than Plan 9 From Outer Space.
 :shrug:
The best part was the corn chips consumed in surviving the experience.
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline Sock Muppet

« Reply #283 on: December 26, 2020, 10:59:31 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984.

Just come out and say it.

It sucked.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #284 on: December 26, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
WW84: While I like most superhero movies, some are better than others in the DCCU. Of the modern WW, I'd place it 3rd.

WW1
Justice League
WW84
Batman v Superman (the intro of WW being the only good thing in that craptasti-vision)

Online Flyer

« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:50 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984.

Just come out and say it.

It sucked.
HARD.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
I am vindicated. I had such high hopes for WW84 after the excellent movie that WW1 was, but it felt... Generic. Forced. Disjointed. The storyline wasn't compelling, and the effects even had many moments where they were unbelievable.
Saw on the interwebs that this one descended below Thor: Dark World on the Tomatometer. As much as I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes, I have to agree.

On the plus side, the first 4 episodes of Letterkenny Season 9 were stellar! More to go...

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »
The Foreigner Jackie Chan on Netflix, good action film.
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
Middle of season 3 of Yellowstone. I love it out there.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2021, 09:18:32 PM »
Started watching "Dexter", and "The Watch".  Both are holding our/my interest.
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »
Sam Vimes is hands- down my favorite character in Discworld, so when I heard there would be a show based on the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, I was excited. Then I watched the trailer and was a bit horrified. I hope it’s better than that looked.

My Other Hobby

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #291 on: January 31, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »
I like The Watch for it's quirkiness.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
We watched Philadelphia last night. Yeah its a old movie but I never had opportunity to watch it till now. Hellva good film.
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »
Wrapped season 3 of Yellowstone last night. That was quite a cliffhanger. 😮
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:20 AM »
Tried 3 nights in a row to re-watch "A Fist Full of Dollars". Keep falling asleep. Not because it's a bad movie but because I've seen it so many times and I start watching it late at night.  By fast-forwarding through things each night I learned that night 1, I never made it past 10 minutes. :D

-update-

FOUR failed attempts. This morning I woke up entirely too early and the thermostat set-back hadn't set-up yet. I restarted it and jumped to the last-seen scene. Got through it before the house re-stabilized. It was only then that I got to the best parts (starting with him getting beat up and crawling under the sidewalk).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:23:34 AM by Bounce »

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2021, 11:58:55 AM »
We watched Philadelphia last night. Yeah its a old movie but I never had opportunity to watch it till now. Hellva good film.

Is that the one with the actor who used to play a cross-dressing college student?

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »

Is that the one with the actor who used to play a cross-dressing college student?

I didn't know Peter Scolari was in that.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »

I have zero idea what you  are talking about
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
Antonio Banderas to name three and a lot more known actors.
VIVA EL STINKO

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2021, 03:19:26 PM »

I have zero idea what you  are talking about
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
Antonio Banderas to name three and a lot more known actors.

Yeah, that first one. That’s the guy.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »