Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you ride today?  (Read 76533 times)

Oddball and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Re: Did you ride today?
« Reply #550 on: February 10, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
Rode on Saturday for the annual trek up to the Valentines, VA Post-office to drop off Valentines cards.   The day started out in the low 30's and Blinky the snowflake yapping at me,  but got up to the upper 40's.   Of course we weren't the only ones with the same idea.  There were a number of Cruiser groups there,  a Model A group, and the Corvette group was just rolling out when we showed up.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #551 on: February 10, 2020, 07:37:31 AM »
All those cruisers in one group is my biggest nightmare.

Not riding here this week likely. In the 50s all week but the rainfall right now is a little nuts. :(
this signature on hold pending review

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #552 on: February 10, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »
It was a lot of cruisers, but it really was multiple groups.  Some larger, some smaller.   There were 6 bikes in the group I went up with.  But we were all Beemer trash.   ;)

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #553 on: February 10, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »

Ah jesus that's a broad brush you use.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »

Ah jesus that's a broad brush you use.

Yeah. I've earned it.

It's *my* fucking nightmare, so I'm allowed to paint it how I want. :P  :twofinger:

I've been pulled in to far too many "big group rides" for various reasons with some of my cruiser-riding bretheren and family members. It's a damned nightmare every single time. Cruiser riders, as a group, are the worst riders I've ever seen. Horrible riding overall. And of course the cliches *all* hold true. Every single one. There's always a guy in front of me who can't stop revving his stupid barely-running straight piped piece of shit. There's always that guy who thinks that riding next to me is "how you do it, boy, on a real bike!" There's always that guy who locks up his rear wheel at every light because the front brake is evil and he can't ride. There's always that guy who think it's ok to just stop traffic, then hop back in the middle of the parade, usually at a panic because trucks are pointing at him. There's always that guy who blasts past 5 riders, then drops back. There's always that guy who rags on "that guy on that thar ninja bike".

What you call painting with a broad brush, I call 35 years of experience dealing with these yoinks. :shrug:  :bigok:  :hurl:

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Somebody changed my profile!!!!!!
  • Motorcycles: My name is John and I have a motorcycle problem.
« Reply #555 on: February 10, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
No matter what brush you use, it's an ugly fucking picture. And yes. I have years of experience qualifying me to judge.

Tacos are life.

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #556 on: February 10, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
groups aren't my thing either (more than 5 is too many for me).  I do one group "charity ride" each year, My brother does the photography so I hang with him. we leave before the group, find a place along the route to shoot photos, once they go by we take our time loading up then have a "spirited ride" to catch up to them by the next stop. But , ya, not my thing at all .
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #557 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »
I kinda maybe sorta wanna do Sturgis ONCE, just to say I did. But then I see pictures, and I change my mind for another year or three. Daytona and Ocean City have been enough of a "bike week experience" for me so far. The Honda Hoot in Pidgeon Forge I did a bunch of years back was... interesting... the year I went. That poor town was not ready for those numbers.  :eek:

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #558 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
Ugh... Sturgis, more annoying every year. I have met some great people who are here for it, but most are idiots. two of my favorites are the woman who asked
 "eww, what's all over your jacket?"
"uh, bugs I guess? "
"that's disgusting, why don;t you wash it?"

and the other when I asked "how's it going"
her reply" great!! I've only dumped my bike 5 times and we've been here all week!"

uh huh, well congratulations. ???

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #559 on: February 10, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »
I kinda maybe sorta wanna do Sturgis ONCE, just to say I did. But then I see pictures, and I change my mind for another year or three. Daytona and Ocean City have been enough of a "bike week experience" for me so far. The Honda Hoot in Pidgeon Forge I did a bunch of years back was... interesting... the year I went. That poor town was not ready for those numbers.  :eek:

best part of the rally is not a soul on the trails, great week for dirtbiking. and ya, everyone should experience it once, it's a huge party.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #560 on: February 10, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

everyone should experience it once, it's a huge party.

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »

Don't. Your whining will ruin it for everyone.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #562 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »
Riding today? Nope. Yesterday? Kinda sorta. Tested a pedal-assist Class3 e-bike, a class 1 with a Bosch center drive, and 1 other. Interesting. I think the draw (compared to more affordable manual bikes) would be a class 2; a class 1 with the addition of a throttle so you have a way to use it like a scooter too.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #563 on: February 20, 2020, 10:25:10 PM »

Don't. Your whining will ruin it for everyone.

You're a giving soul, thinking so much about others. Good on ya!  :bigok:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #564 on: Yesterday at 05:48:36 PM »
Little bit. Went out and played with some obstacles and little jumps and low speed tight turns while standing and wheelie control.  Worked on predicting wheel spin vs lift based on particular surfaces.  There's a lot of freaking science in precision off road bike control.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #565 on: Yesterday at 05:56:59 PM »
Rode the 530 a few miles to the local bike shop to get it inspected. Legal for another season. Brrr..... (28 degrees).

Supposed to be sunny and 50-ish on Sunday, so that will probably be the first dual sport ride of the year.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #566 on: Yesterday at 09:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I have no idea when mine is due.

Bought it last March, so logically, you would think it would be due again same time this year.  But PA is so weird.  The state knows that we can't ride bikes in the middle of winter, so they reassign you to some warmer month, like April or September, when it could be raining.  And everyone knows you can't ride a motorcycle in the rain.  Ughhh!
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #567 on: Yesterday at 11:54:36 PM »
Left my bike out in the rain....