Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Innovv K2 Installation on 2018 R1200RS  (Read 611 times)

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Innovv K2 Installation on 2018 R1200RS
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »
The first step of the install was figuring out where to route wires and mount equipment.  While I have the Haynes manual (not much help) and the BMW CD on the bike (not much more helpful), I started by dismounting the trim panels covering the fuel tank.  Nerve-wracking (didn't want to damage expensive plastics), but I eventually figured it out.  I'd love to have a set of "exploded views" of the RS as it makes visualizing a tear down much easier.

It was easy to decide where to put each camera (more or less).  I'll post photos of those later.  I needed to find a place to put the GPS antenna where it wouldn't be "blocked"...which isn't easy when the only open surfaces are covered by something else.  I eventually decided on putting it up by the GPS unit, and I started fabrication of a mount to hold it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

With that done, I next wrestled with where to put the unit's power supply.  I had two places in mind, but I ultimately went with where my PDM60 was mounted.  A limiting factor was the length of the proprietary cords...eliminating the option of adding more cable if needed.  I didn't install this until after I added the new Fuze Block FZ-1 because fitting ANYTHING to this bike is a royal pain.  The engineers put so little empty space to place additional hardware on the bike, so lots and lots of test fitting to ensure wires would reach and seats would remount without issues.

A rider on another forum suggested VHB tape to attach items.  It didn't seem that impressive when I touched it, but seconds after adhesion, it held insanely tight.  I didn't care to buy a whole spool of it, but I'm sure it will be handy for many other uses.

After many attempts, the only place I could fit the Fuze Block was right behind the cross member for the locking mechanism.  As the wheel well is slightly curved, after a lot of thought, I used some leftover chair leg pads to create cushioned attachment points and then used VHB tape.  I really wish the PDM60 did what I wanted as it's substantially smaller, but thankfully I got this to fit.

Next came wiring...which wasn't all that bad.  I ran positive and negative wires over the weekend, and the switched power wire was still available.  Installing the DVR unit was not easy.  I had to make sure I cleared the two points on the back where the rear seat inserts without compromising the ability to hook in any cables.  Took a while, but I figured it out.  Again, the uneven and curved surface made mounting tricky.  I used two remaining pads to make a more level mating surface.  As I'd have to pull the unit to access the memory card, reset button or data port, I couldn't use the VHB tape unless I wanted a real fight on my hands.  I thought of using some Velcro, but all I had in the house was so old the glue was shot.  So, I held it in place with a couple pieces of electrical tape.

With that done, the only thing left was to round up the excess A/V cables.  Used a heat gun to warm them up so they'd bend easier (50-ish degrees in the garage).  A couple of zip ties to keep them together and stuffed them into the space behind the ECM.

Afterwards, I did add in a second circuit to provide power to my top case.  I tried re-wiring the harness for my heated gear, but the positive wires had cracks at the inline fuse...exposing the wire.  So, I need to repair those before reinstalling them.  Next I will Dremel the fabricated brace to size and add pictures of the completed install.

To be continued....

Offline zer0netgain

Re: Innovv K2 Installation on 2018 R1200RS
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
Well, now for the rest of the story....

Excluding the shop light catching fire (wondering why the lights were dimming), it was all about finishing and cleaning up.

First step was to cut and polish off the mount I made for the GPS antenna.  The epoxy glue did not hold 100% and I wound up re-gluing it back together with Gorilla Glue.  Once that hardened, I gently polished off the edges, added heat shrink to a part to make it look less garish then installed it and mounted the antenna.  The wire routing was pretty good as I had it, so I took some leftover cable protector sheathing and used it to protect the front A/V cable and GPS wire from abrasion from the front forks.

Next was to add protection to the front lens.  This is something Innovv doesn't provide...a major shortfall in product development IMHO.  Fortunately, I have leftover lens protectors from my VIO system.  They are a larger diameter, but I worked with a few strips of electrical tape to expand the outside diameter of the front camera housing so the lens protector fits snug.  Looks natural too.  Rear camera has no real need for this as it's intended to protect against hard strikes and not just dirt.

Had some issue redoing the wiring under the seat.  I wanted the cables better organized, but it eventually got done...in spite of the shop light catching fire.  Bike is finally back together.  I still need to wire in two extra circuits, but I need to repair the wire harnesses first.

I may still keep and use my VIO system as it's too old to expect much from someone for it, and while these cameras take HD video, they're really intended for documentation...and they are wide enough an angle that it's not a perfectly flat video image.  The VIO might still work better if I'm inclined to take video while riding.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:06:10 PM »
 :needpics: :bigsmile:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online tankhead

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 12:12:56 AM »
:needpics: :bigsmile:

HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHAaaaaaaaaaaaa... that was funny as hell. 

Can't see the pics...... lol

Offline zer0netgain

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
‚ÄčOkay...some test footage. Front and rear...one minute each.

Some notes....

One minute of footage at highest quality setting is about 88 MB per file. Transfer from DVR to iPhone over local DVR WiFi was remarkably fast (a couple of minutes). These were uploaded to YouTube from the iPad, so if there are quality issues, I may redo them on my PC. End product may be crazy large, but it usually is the highest quality I can send to YouTube for processing.

https://youtu.be/lH-eWo9bzhI

https://youtu.be/VVnjVSN1wHg

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 05:58:09 PM »
Ya a bit blurry, possibly compression issue. 

Nice pavement, I bet that road is a wonderful ride through the trees in the summer, when the leaves are out.

Thanks for the vids, please post more if ya get the compression thing worked out.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline zer0netgain

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
Redid video upload to proper specs from the PC.  H.264 at original resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 30 FPS.

https://youtu.be/GIMAm_IdQeI

https://youtu.be/vp4l9ekvyMI