Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just the tip  (Read 935 times)

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
My hovercraft is full of eels

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Just the tip
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Fun read. They're out of their collective mind on the XR1200, though. For what was available in the day for parts bin, cross-fitting parts, and "we can't get too invested in manufacturing after what happened with the V-Rods", the XR1200 hits all the marks it could ever possibly hit without its own dedicated production line.
this signature on hold pending review

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
I agree about the styling though. Even though I own one. It's too angular and the pipes flow wrong. Still one of the coolest hogs ever though.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:01:00 AM »
The XR1200 was the most comfortable H-D I ever sat on.  I regret not taking one for a test ride.  But I didn't want to put any miles on a bike that wasn't a demonstrator because I wasn't in the market.

I would have needed it lowered, but that looked doable.  I don't know the best way to work out the range issues--carry an aux fuel can or look into whether the 4.5 gallon Sporty tank would be swappable (and at what price). 

My recollection is that Harley even tried starting a racing class for that bike. Shame it didn't catch on.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
Oh man, the 1200C was the worst-looking BMW I've ever seen.  :crazy:

I, too, was just getting into motorcycles when it came out but even then, I knew that it was a nasty, ugly piece of work.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 06:06:35 PM »
My recollection is that Harley even tried starting a racing class for that bike. Shame it didn't catch on.

Oh, there is (or at least, was) a whole club/class for it. Shelina Moreda races in it, though she's probably backed off now, with all the other stuff going on in her career. What a joy hearing a couple dozen of those bikes going around the track. It was a spec-class "almost stock" race class, so every bike was set up the same, and it really came down to how much fun the riders wanted to have. They were fun races to watch.

Got to see her run at Indy and at NJMP on those, as well as some other classes.

I'm totally name dropping because I got to know here a little bit over a few years time, and Liz and I spent a weekend with her a few years back. :D

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

I, too, was just getting into motorcycles when it came out but even then, I knew that it was a nasty, ugly piece of work.

I remember seeing that bike at a showroom--probably at Leo's South in the Minneapolis suburbs while visiting family at the holidays.  The phrase "neither fish nor fowl" seemed to apply.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 03:40:03 AM »

For some reason that bike always reminded me of my Mom's Kitchenaid mixer.   Not in a good way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 05:49:05 AM »

For some reason that bike always reminded me of my Mom's Kitchenaid mixer.   Not in a good way.

:rolf:  YES!
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
Someday, when it's sitting in Stockholm's MOMA next to the Formula 1 racer labeled as an Art Decco classic, you'll wish you had bought one.

"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »

I actually liked it when it first came out. And still do.   :couch:  I'm just funny that way.  :shrug:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
I thought it was a fun ride, but the CL-C version was the most hideous thing on wheels. Period. That includes the Ducati Indiana; inarguably the worst knock off of Japan's knock offs of what someone over there thought an American cruiser looked like when having it described over a bad phone line and without ever actually seeing on in person.

The CL-C spider-eyed monstrosity

"We named the dog Indiana!"

Online 1KPerDay

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
I thought it was a fun ride, but the CL-C version was the most hideous thing on wheels. Period. That includes the Ducati Indiana; inarguably the worst knock off of Japan's knock offs of what someone over there thought an American cruiser looked like when having it described over a bad phone line and without ever actually seeing on in person.

The CL-C spider-eyed monstrosity

GAH!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »

"We named the dog Indiana!"

The Indiana looks like the love child of a Honda Shadow 700 and a Honda Nighthawk 650 from the 1980s.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
... Made in India by blind monks.

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »
... Made in India by blind monks.

At least it doesn’t look like it was assembled
in the plumbing aisle at Lowe’s.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »

Oh, there is (or at least, was) a whole club/class for it. Shelina Moreda races in it, though she's probably backed off now, with all the other stuff going on in her career.

The XR class is long gone from MotoAmerica and so is Shelina (she has some hard feelings toward the organization, for reasons I don't fully understand).

I still remember being at Indy when the XR1200s were racing as a MotoGP support class and I happened to pass a couple of volunteer corner workers, just as I heard one say to the other, "Have you had to pick up one of those Harleys yet? Those things are like tractors!" I guess that's a fair assessment after you've pulled a few Moto3 bikes out of the gravel trap.

I have a friend who has a low-mile XR1200. He actually owned a Sportster and had done hours of research on how he could modify it so it would perform a little better on the highway. He bought all the parts he needed on eBay and just needed to go to the Harley-Davidson dealer to buy a gasket, last item on the list. He walked in and there was a pristine XR1200 with 93 miles on it that some guy "had bought for his wife." My friend thought, hmm, I could do a lot of work and still not have something that performs as good as this or I could just trade in my Sportster for this. He ended up selling those parts back to eBay.  ;D
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.