Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2020 MotoGP Thread  (Read 5624 times)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
2020 MotoGP Thread
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
Might as well start things off.

Alex Marquez to join his brother on the Repsol Honda team.

Discuss.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
Re: 2020 MotoGP Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »

Alex Marquez to join his brother on the Repsol Honda team.

Discuss.

Really didn't see that coming. Would have been nice for Cal to finally get the factory seat, but competition at that level isn't about nice. My money, like most, was on Zarco. But Alex? 

Well, about a year ago I was thinking, "I wonder why they signed Quartararo?" So, yeah, I won't be anyone's talent scout.

Read some harsh words from Aleix Espargaro about Zarco, saying he doesn't deserve the best bike on the best team when he walked away from a problem bike. He pointed out that he and his brother have been on frustrating bikes (and Pol rode the KTM much better) but stuck it out because it's their job. He was supportive of Alex getting the ride and said either Pol or himself deserved it more than Zarco.
A man with no sig

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
Like you, my initial reaction was surprise that Alex would get the Repsol ride. But after further thought, it makes more sense.

Honda didn't have a lot of options because the entire field is in the middle of contracts that expire after next year.

Crutchlow? He's probably going to retire after next year. So one year putting up with a rider who is blunt in his criticism of the bike and crashes a lot. You know there's no long-term future there, so why put up with the bother for one year?

Zarco? If he couldn't adapt to the KTM, there's reason to fear he would not be able to adapt to the Honda. Actually, nobody but Marquez has, just as nobody but Stoner could win races on the Ducati. If Lorenzo and the Honda were a mismatch made well south of heaven, then Zarco and the Honda seem an even more unlikely match.

Bautista? Honda needs him more in WSBK, don't they? Plus, his second-half meltdown didn't burnish his reputation.

Alex Marquez just won the Moto2 title, and the obvious thing to do after that is move up to MotoGP. Clearly, moving to a factory team, even the top factory team, is not the obvious thing. But I can see the logic in Honda's decision. There's one person in the world who can ride their bike to victory consistently. This decision keeps that one man happy and it's not like they had an obviously better option.

All JMHO.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
Honda is hedging their bet by only signing Alex to a one year contract. That puts them in playfor 2021.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
MM to KTM in 2024, you heard it here first.....

as for 2020 I hope Zarco finds something, I think he has potential. I wish Rossi the best but realistically this will probably be his final year. MM will continue to dominate. Quatraro will replace Dovi as the bridesmaid and Rins will win a couple races.

My thoughts anyway, but I could be wrong because: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/18/south-dakota-ads-suggest-people-from-the-state-are-on-meth.html
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »
A man with no sig

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 08:41:16 AM »
MM to KTM in 2024, you heard it here first.....

as for 2020 I hope Zarco finds something,...

From Spanish Press - Johann Zarco  will continue next season at MotoGP after reaching an agreement with Ducati to pilot the satellite Desmosedici of Avintia Racing. The team of  Raul Romero  has extended for two years and with best material agreement with Ducati and that has led Zarco to finally accept a proposal that had initially rejected.

The news is not yet official but the Italian press takes it for granted and points out that Zarco's  first test  with the colors of Ducati Avintia will be next week in Jerez.  Paolo Ciabatti and Gigi Dall'Igna  convinced the French driver after the last race in Valencia. Zarco will have a Desmosedici GP19, with extensive factory technical support.
IBA #37902

Online Black Hills

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »
ugh, I hope it goes better than KTM, but he already stated it was not a good team and the Duc doesn't appear to fit his riding style. I wish him luck.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
ugh, I hope it goes better than KTM, but he already stated it was not a good team and the Duc doesn't appear to fit his riding style. I wish him luck.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
true, and the fact he is almost 30 isn't helping I'm sure

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 05:44:18 PM »
Sounds like a sweet deal for Avintia. Will they get GP19s for both riders or just Zarco?

I think I read Rabat had already signed a new contract. I guess this means Abraham is out?
A man with no sig

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
Sounds like a sweet deal for Avintia. Will they get GP19s for both riders or just Zarco?

I think I read Rabat had already signed a new contract. I guess this means Abraham is out?

Abraham said he had too. Guess it will boil down to who can bring the most coin...

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »

Abraham said he had too. Guess it will boil down to who can bring the most coin...

Huh, hadn't heard that. Well, I guess that would be Abraham. It'll be interesting to watch that play out.
A man with no sig

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »

Abraham said he had too.

In the MotoGP paddock, contracts are worth the paper they are written on.

https://motomatters.com/news/2019/11/23/the_first_shoe_drops_avintia_terminates.html
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 07:36:58 PM »
Glad to see Abraham go. I know MotoGP is expensive and bringing sponsorship money means a lot, but his daddy bought him his years in MotoGP. He sure as hell didn't deserve a ride based on his merits as a rider. Look at his results: one win and one third (both in Moto2) across all three classes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:56:05 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
Zarco officially signs with Ducati to race on the Avintia team (which is now an official satellite team) for 2020. He will be on a 2019 bike.

It will be interesting to see how he does (top 10s?) and if he can beat out Miller, Petrucci, et.al. for the 2021 factory seat.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
I would like to see Zarco succeed, But I'm afraid it is going to be a repeat of last year.  Hopefully I'm wrong...

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:21:51 PM »
I would like to see Zarco succeed, But I'm afraid it is going to be a repeat of last year.  Hopefully I'm wrong...

Perhaps. But remember that Jorge went on a mid-season tear on the 2018 Ducati, so whatever they figured for him and his riding style would (hopefully) apply to Zarco. He probably won't be getting a bunch of new stuff to constantly try, so it should be a relatively stable platform with lots of data from this year. Maybe he'll do OK. It'd be nice to have a mix of guys fighting for podiums.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:13:16 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »

Perhaps. But remember that Jorge went on a mid-season tear on the 2018 Ducati, so whatever they figured for him and his riding style would (hopefully) apply to Zarco. He probably won't be getting a bunch of new stuff to constantly try, so it should be a relatively stable platform with lots of data from this year. Maybe he'll do OK. It'd be nice to a mix of guys fighting for podiums.

hopefully you are right!

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Now if only Zarco would learn to keep his mouth shut... 
IBA #37902

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Now if only Zarco would learn to keep his mouth shut...

This.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 12:59:26 PM »
I like Zarco and he definitely has talent, but I think he may be a bit more fragile mentally than most of the others?

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:59 PM »
Looks like 2020 will start without Iannone. He's indefinitely suspended for failing a drug test. Some kind of anabolic steroid.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/935154/1/iannone-suspended-failing-fim-drugs-test
A man with no sig

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »
Looks like 2020 will start without Iannone. He's indefinitely suspended for failing a drug test. Some kind of anabolic steroid.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/935154/1/iannone-suspended-failing-fim-drugs-test

I saw in the MotoGP article that he can be present for the testing of the "B" sample (or whatever the process is). He claims on social media that he's been tested all year with no issues and this is just a false positive.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
Jorge offered role of Yamaha test rider

https://motomatters.com/news/2019/12/18/jorge_lorenzo_to_return_to_motogp.html

Scything around an empty track concentrating on perfect lines is right up his wheelhouse.

IBA #37902

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
Strike two for Iannone:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/935406/1/iannone-b-sample-positive-quantity-small

My favored line from the article: "Since drostanolone is commonly used as a bodybuilding drug it is seen as being of little obvious benefit in the 'lean' world of MotoGP."

Yes, but what about the "shirtless photo with famous girlfriend world of Instagram," which is where Iannnone is truly competitive? Maybe that was his priority?

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »

Yes, but what about the "shirtless photo with famous girlfriend world of Instagram," which is where Iannnone is truly competitive? Maybe that was his priority?

:lol:  I really did laugh out loud at that.

His attorney is still trying to push the contaminated food explanation. I don't think it's going to work for him.
A man with no sig

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
The problem for Iannone is that with these proceedings the burden of proof is on him to prove he ate contaminated meat. It's not a case of "innocent until proven guilty." Proving that something you ate months ago was contaminated in an unusual way is obviously a difficult task.

As usual, David Emmett at Motomatters had a thorough report, if anyone hasn't seen it yet and is interested.

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2020/01/10/andrea_iannone_s_doping_suspension_what.html

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
Silly Season starts way early. From MotoGP:

2019 Rookie of the Year Fabio Quartararo will join Maverick Viñales at Yamaha Factory Racing MotoGP Team in 2021 and 2022.

So the factory Yamaha team for 2021 and 2022 is a done deal. Without Rossi. But Rossi has been assured that he will get a factory M1 and factory support if he chooses to continue racing in 2021/2022. I guess that he goes to Petronis. Rossi plans to decide mid-season once he has had a chance to see how competitive he is on the updated M1.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:29 AM »
MM claims he will on be 60-70% for the test next week. not a good way to start the season.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »
MM claims he will on be 60-70% for the test next week. not a good way to start the season.

Mmmmm....yeah I've seen that as well. MM is the new Jedi of Psych, so I wonder.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
I believe MM will be the one to end MM's time at the top. The shoulders seem to be more trouble than anyone will admit?

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »
I believe MM will be the one to end MM's time at the top. The shoulders seem to be more trouble than anyone will admit?

I forget which race it was -- but watching him lay down on the track after winning so someone could pop his shoulder back into joint so he could finish the victory lap was just jaw-dropping for me. But I figure if he was that could with the injury, he'll be even stronger with the surgical repair.

It will definitely be interesting to watch.
A man with no sig

Online Black Hills

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »
I think he will continue to dominate for a few more years, but it's going to catch up to him eventually. I doubt he will still be in the game at Rossi's age.

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »

Shoulders have been the end of many a racing career. The most complex joint in the human body and an essential one for riding a motorcycle fast.

Meanwhile, in the big news today, Yamaha has bet on the future and youth, while carefully not burning any bridges with its biggest star power.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/its-looking-more-like-2020-could-be-valentino-rossis-farewell-tour-in-motogp

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6, 2014 Ninja 650
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 05:45:51 PM »
Word out today that NBC/NBCsn will be televising the MotoGP races and will stream the Moto 2 and Moto 3 races!

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso, a few Yamahas, a BMW GS, and all subject to change!
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
I think he will continue to dominate for a few more years, but it's going to catch up to him eventually. I doubt he will still be in the game at Rossi's age.

I doubt anyone will replicate Rossi's longevity in this day and age. The only way anyone is going to ride competitively into their 40's is with significant modern science stepping in.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 02:42:48 PM »
Word out today that NBC/NBCsn will be televising the MotoGP races and will stream the Moto 2 and Moto 3 races!

I hope that helps them find a bigger audience here. Without cable, I'll still be watching on VideoPass, but this has got to be a big improvement from where they were. I can't even remember the name of that network.
A man with no sig

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »

I hope that helps them find a bigger audience here. Without cable, I'll still be watching on VideoPass, but this has got to be a big improvement from where they were. I can't even remember the name of that network.

Speed Channel with Dave Despain announcing :).  Of course that was quite some time ago!
IBA #37902

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »

Speed Channel with Dave Despain announcing :).  Of course that was quite some time ago!

Ah, memories...

That Golden Age when Speed had MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA and then would even throw some BSB at us during the off season. It probably cost me a lot of riding time.

I remember being somewhat, um, lit up one evening and randomly dropping a note to Despain thanking him for his time on Two Wheel Tuesday (or whatever that show was called) after that show got cancelled. He took the time to write a really nice reply. And thanked me for being "the guy who watched the show."  :lol:
A man with no sig

Online Black Hills

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »
I met him at the vintage races in Steamboat back in the 1990's ? great guy and always seemed to have time for "fans"

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2020, 07:42:08 AM »
I'm not sure what the consensus is on having a MotoGP league for 2020 but MotoGP.com has a new game. It looks a bit... complicated? Gimmicky maybe?

There's a salary cap, you pick four riders (two get full points, two get half points), there are bonus points for improving from grid position, points for fastest lap and something called the "Turbo Rider option" that awards double points.

I know last year's game was not universally popular. Thoughts about this one?

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/02/27/introducing-motogp-fantasy/325828

Offline motodog650

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »

Ah, memories...

That Golden Age when Speed had MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA and then would even throw some BSB at us during the off season. It probably cost me a lot of riding time.

I remember being somewhat, um, lit up one evening and randomly dropping a note to Despain thanking him for his time on Two Wheel Tuesday (or whatever that show was called) after that show got cancelled. He took the time to write a really nice reply. And thanked me for being "the guy who watched the show."  :lol:

Met Dave at an AMA race weekend at Road Atlanta after the racing was over Sunday evening, riding around on a golf cart with Sadowski. Great guy and a motorcycle purist at heart. Since retiring (full time) a few years ago, he has become quite active on twitter (FYI for those that might be on there: @DaveDespain)   

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
I'm not sure what the consensus is on having a MotoGP league for 2020 but MotoGP.com has a new game. It looks a bit... complicated? Gimmicky maybe?

There's a salary cap, you pick four riders (two get full points, two get half points), there are bonus points for improving from grid position, points for fastest lap and something called the "Turbo Rider option" that awards double points.

EDIT:  Looked at the motogp.com game and signed up as HM Faceplant
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:25:36 PM by squeezer »
A man with no sig

Offline motodog650

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »

Finally 'official' https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/02/28/nbc-sports-group-and-motogp-partner-on-multi-year-agreement/326113

Offline motodog650

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »

Wasn't planning on it if MotoGOAT was the only option again but I'm in for this since I'll be participating in the MotoPod league in the MotoGP game anyway.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
i. Great guy and a motorcycle purist at heart. Since retiring (full time) a few years ago, he has become quite active on twitter (FYI for those that might be on there: @DaveDespain)   

haha.. why is it every tweet I read is in his voice??

Offline motodog650

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
GO JOE  ;D

Jorge Navarro (Speed Up Racing) topped Day 1 of testing in the desert at Losail International Circuit, with the Spaniard putting in a 1:59.168 to pull two tenths clear of Xavi Vierge (Petronas Sprinta Racing). Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) locked out the top three just 0.021 further back, with American Joe Roberts a similar gap behind in fourth after an impressive showing for the American Racing Team rider.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »
^^^
Oh, man, that's good news. Any inside scoop on his health? He seemed banged up all last year.
A man with no sig

Offline motodog650

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »
^^^
Oh, man, that's good news. Any inside scoop on his health? He seemed banged up all last year.

Healthy. John Hopkins working as rider coach for team. On Kalex chassis now. New crew chief that he really likes.