Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Doubling up route?  (Read 109 times)

Online RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
Doubling up route?
« on: November 05, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
What are the IBA rules about riding, for example, 500+ miles down a road, turning around, and following the same route in reverse?
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
Re: Doubling up route?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
No
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online RBEmerson

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »
I think the rules said that bouncing back and forth ten times on a hundred mile route was not accepted. I guess five hundred miles out and the same back is that ping pong strategy on a longer scale. Sigh...

My problem is, with Thanksgiving closing in, the route to West Palm Beach won't fit my calendar - one day down, but at least two days back including a day, in WPB, to catch up on sleep before heading back. That's a four day trip. Post-Thanksgiving is out unless I do the trip in Germany. Maybe the in-laws wouldn't miss me. :shrug: SWMBO would strangle me over the rental. So much for that.

I worked up one loop that would reduce the trip to start around 7PM (avoid rush traffic) and end sometime the following afternoon. Unfortunately, the Mid Atlantic Interstate net forces part of the loop to follow the Blue Ridge. Even on I77, 75, and 81. Down I95 and back up US17, for example, is almost certain to put me over 24 hours. Feh.

I'm concerned about hitting ice, etc. in the mountains. For anything with more than two wheels, not much of a problem. I've never spun out on two wheels and plan to keep it that way.

I guess I'm pushed off to next spring. Damn.

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »
It is specifically listed as a viable option on their guidelines:

http://www.ironbutt.com/rules/ss1000.htm

If you choose a route where you ride 500 miles and then turn around and come back, you must get a dated receipt at the turn around point. For example, if you were to start in Denver, Colorado and ride to Omaha, Nebraska and back to Denver, we would expect a detailed receipt from Omaha (in addition to the guidelines that follow).

IBA #37902

Online RBEmerson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:47 PM »
Thanks! I've worked up a plausible out and back route using I-95. Now if temps would only get above sub-arctic... Heated gear or not.