Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CV boot replacement  (Read 3854 times)

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
CV boot replacement
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
Question, I have an old Camry with cracked and ripped CV boots. The joints are fine the rubber is just old. Are those split repair boots worth the time or should I rip the axles out and replace the boots with "normal" ones?

Thanks

Sent from my rooted NookHD running Android 4.2.2

I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: CV boot replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
I'd just yank the axle and fix it with a one piece boot.  I view the split ones as a very temporary fix if you can't afford to do it right.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
In short; No the split boots are worthless, pull the axels and replace the boots the right way.

Considering the time & effort involved, whats the cost difference between 4 new boots or two reman axles?
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:27 PM »

Considering the time & effort involved, whats the cost difference between 4 new boots or two reman axles?

Not a lot actually but I have always been one who things OEM it 100x better than what you get in the "parts world". If they were not the original axles I would replace them both in a heart beat. I will head over and order some "regular" boots tomorrow. I had a feeling those split things were garbage but wanted to double check.  :bigok:

-

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:15 AM »
Just an aside.
I have found that if I never turn my wheels to full lock, the CV boots last a very long time.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
If you are going to reboot, be sure you absolutely clean and dry the bearings, cages and everything in the joints before regreasing and rebooting. Cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to these things.

Can't use enough fresh varsol in this situation.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline marc11

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
How many miles on this car?  TBH if it has high miles and you are going to reboot, just replace the whole axle.  Yes I get you feel OEM is the best, and that is fine, buy OEM, but, depending on miles, and the fact that the boot has been torn and you have no idea if any water or dirt has gotten in there and caused any damage, why do all that work and NOT replace the axle?

Some people follow the rule of replace just whats needed, but in some cases like this, when it is a fair amount of work, why do it twice if you plan to keep the car?  Sort of like replacing in inner tie rod and using the old tie rod end, just doesn't make sense to me.

If it were me, I would be a good brand (not some autozone cheap brand) axle with the CV factory greased and booted and slap it in.

Keep in mind, despite what many people think, most parts, in fact almost all parts on cars are made by a third party and you can buy those exact same parts to the exact or better specs in the aftermarket cheaper than OEM.  The reason people have failed aftermarket parts is because they buy the cheapest crap they can find.  Go to a good site like Rock Auto and get good parts for good prices.  Even Amazon sells high end parts for amazingly low prices; just research what you want and need then compare prices.  The same part from Amazon, Rock Auto, Napa, etc doesn't matter, if it is the same part.

For example, the end links on my stabilizer bar were worn at only 45k, now I could have put OEM in there for about $30 or I could put Moog greasable, lifetime guaranteed ones in there for $22 (from Amazon) which do you suppose is better?  Yep the Moog ones and they were CHEAPER.  There is cheap aftermarket crap and there is less expensive but quality aftermarket parts, it pays to research.

The ONLY parts I feel OEM are best at are brake pads, for some reason OEM pads tend to last far longer than any other brand I have tried, regardless of vehicle.

IMHO of course.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
I've had terrible luck with split boots.

But great luck with Moog parts.

OEM isn't ,really - as other's have pointed out, the manufacturer of the vehicle almost certainly didn't make the parts you need to service and replace, so why pay their markup?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »
The car has about 60k on it but it sat in a garage for 15+ years. The boots just recently cracked.

-

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Most of the time replacing the axle takes much less time than fixing the old one.  I know the one's on our Subaru come off in about 10-15 minutes using nothing but hand tools.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
I've never had a CV go out on me. I do however need to replace a seal on the front axle on the Explorer. The down side is i have to pop the ball joints on the spindle to get the CV out.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline marc11

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
I've never had a CV go out on me. I do however need to replace a seal on the front axle on the Explorer. The down side is i have to pop the ball joints on the spindle to get the CV out.

PITA!  I hate working on front ends.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »
Having a 2000 Chevy Silverado with over 220k on it, I can see the reluctance on spending alot of money on CV boots when the motor could fall out of the car tomorrow.

However, I too have found the split boots to be crap.

Clean and regrease...The give her a good pair of boots. With that many miles on it the motor and tranny are good.

Put a screen and fresh fluid in it yet if its an Automatic?
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »

PITA!  I hate working on front ends.

I'm trying to put it off till spring since i have to rebuild the whole front end. Ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, and the axle seals.

But ya, a PITA.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday