Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as swe  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
It appears that some people have given their bike a specific unique name, and some call their bike by its model name or brand name.  I've nicknamed some of my vehicles, but nothing with a truly unique character.  My Ninja 650R was the Little Red Ninja, not too imaginative but everyone would know what I meant.  When this bike was about 10 years old I also started to call her my Old Girl (Doctor Who reference).  But I only used that name if the other person would be certain of the context.

My new Ninja 400 has so far just been the Ninjette.  But that name has been generally applied to the smallest Ninja from when the model used to be a 250.  So it's not unique to this particular bike.

So I'm curious about the reasons riders give their bikes a unique name.  I get that it's fun, but is there something more behind the name?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
I've only named one of mine.  The 2001 BMW R1150GS earned the Terminator label.  It was responsible for several small critters reaching end of life.  Squirrels, a couple rabbits, a raccoon (Wooo, that was a BIG thump) and a few baby prairie dogs out in Utah.  It tried to take out a couple deer, but they swerved properly out of the way.  I honestly thought about getting critter stickers to keep score on the tank.
--Tom

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
I found naming a bike kinda like naming my dog that lost all four legs--neither one would come to you when called.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
Audace - Sexy Tractor
Ural - Dirty Russian Whore
Bubbles is my bitch.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
the 1190 adventure is named BUD (Big Ugly Dirtbike) the others don't have names for some reason?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Mossyrocks

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 05 Wee-Strom - Deceased, 07 Yamaha Fun Joy Ride
I call my green Kawi Versys 650LT, Kiwi. My 2007 FJR is my big beautiful machine. 

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Jack as in Jack the Ripper was suggested for the super duke but it never really stuck
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Kermit cuz you suggested it
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Kermit cuz you suggested it

I'm glad to have been of assistance.  Sometimes it's easier to come up with an idea for someone else than it is for myself.   

I guess that I'm curious about why riders have chosen to name their bikes?   I sometimes personify my bikes, but it's mostly for my own amusement.   So I'm just wondering about what other riders think about naming their bikes.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
My bikes all have the same first name. The. The Harley,The Tuono,The CRF,The YZ,ect.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Ray O'Sunshine

• Contributor
  • Cookie's bitch.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
My bikes all have the same first name. The. The Harley,The Tuono,The CRF,The YZ,ect.

This. I'm unsentimental. They're just tools. Like most of us. :D
this signature on hold pending review

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
My first street bike was a 1980 KZ 750, it earned the name "The Infamous Kawasaki" after I walked away from a 100 mph+ traffic stop without a ticket.  Other than that the only one I've named was my '02 1200S Bandit, which I started calling Suzi Q after a drunken garage session with some riding buddies. I think Creedence blasting out on the ol' CD player had something to do with it.

The rest of them have just been the Beemer or the Trophy or the Sporty or the K bike etc.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
My R75/6 is Ernst for Ernst Henne, prewar BMW recordman.

The R100/7 that I've just started working on is Edgar.

I predict that all my Airheads will have names beginning with 'E' much as all the VWs have names beginning with 'H'.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!

Understandable.  It's a practical outlook on life.  But I'm consciously trying to go the other way (where appropriate) in order to ward off turning into a grumpy old man.  :gerg:   It's maybe also a bit of a reaction to almost all of the adults from my childhood having died.  I might be succeeding because a nephew told me that I'm the only adult he knows who likes to have fun.

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
I've probably had 30+ bikes but my newest is the only one I've named - Big Mike. My oldest brother Mike, died this past January. He was a rider many years ago. He had no wife or kids, so my siblings and I each received a portion of his small estate. I got almost enough to buy a bike. I bought a new 2019 Honda CRF450L. It's the only brand new street-legal bike I've ever had. He would've approved.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
^^I  like this one.

When we had four VFRs, it was the 94, the 97, the 98, and the 99. Then we got another 99 - the 48 state bike. The 98 died. The 94 became Grandma. The 48-state became the Work Girl. The other 99 became the Play Girl. Grandma and the 97 got sold.

My R1150RT was named Gretel - with the non-parenthetical 'e'. My ST4 was named Stanley - ugliest Ducati evar. The current SV650 is Suzy Blue.

Eh...whatever floats your boat.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Ray O'Sunshine

• Contributor
  • Cookie's bitch.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
... named Gretel - with the non-parenthetical 'e'...
'

I know what you did there. <3 :D
this signature on hold pending review

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
... named Gretel - with the non-parenthetical 'e'...
'

I know what you did there. <3 :D

;)
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
The Versys 1000 is the bat bike
the 650 versys was wanderer
the Triumph speed3  was the wobbling goblin
I could go on and on, too many were named
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
I've probably had 30+ bikes but my newest is the only one I've named - Big Mike. My oldest brother Mike, died this past January. He was a rider many years ago. He had no wife or kids, so my siblings and I each received a portion of his small estate. I got almost enough to buy a bike. I bought a new 2019 Honda CRF450L. It's the only brand new street-legal bike I've ever had. He would've approved.

That's a great way to remember him.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!

For those goblin-eye headlights?

Offline thatguy

Oh it's not that. I am emotionally attached to my stuff. I don't go so far as to anthropomorphize them.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Kim bonds with her stuff but tends to be more of a terms of endearment person.  Her FJ was baby or honey or beautiful. I tend toward more ironic or literal like beast or monster or thumper. Kermit is the first bike I have given a proper name.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys

For those goblin-eye headlights?
The grinch green colour more than anything.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Anthropomorphication seems to be a human tendency.  Not to threadjack my own thread, and I'm not an expert in the area, but it's fascinating how people from diverse cultures throughout history frequently believed that an object could be inhabited by a protective spiritual presence.  This particularly happened with weapons and tools.  Modern psychology appears to support a theory of how this could have been perceived. 

I experienced this on a ride once years ago.  Dusk was approaching in a rural area, and I was alert for deer.  There was an area where the farmer had not hayed the ditch.  I was covering my breaks and scanning for trouble.  But there was this blur in front of me that coalesced like a sci-fi special effect into a deer immediately in front of my bike. I went to do an emergency stop only to find that I already was doing a hard break.  I didn't know why my bike was already breaking but I didn't hit the deer. This felt weird and lead me to some light research.

There is a phenomenon where the subconscious can cause the body to react correctly to an event before the conscious mind can perceive and analyze the situation.  It happens more often in fast-moving stressful situations where the individual has training and experience such that the needed reaction does not require conscious analysis.   A warrior, for example, might parry an enemy's sword before his conscious mind has determined that there is a threat. Based on this, the warrior might reach the conclusion that something other than himself caused him to parry, and one assumption may be that the warrior's sword did this on it's own or influenced his actions.  This would explain how I reacted to the deer before my conscious mind could determine that the blur was a deer.  And there's a lot of interesting reading on how the mind fills in blank spaces in our senses which likely explains the sci-fi effect I perceived.

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
That's an interesting thought, I know from a purely pragmatic view machines are just that, machines. However if you share adventures with and get a lot of pleasure from a machine then I think anthropomorphizing it is a natural human trait. I've owned over 30 bikes in my life and each one has quirks that could be defined as a personality trait I suppose so I think there's some validity.

I always bless my bikes with beer for good luck and honestly some of them do have names. However I look at it like they do in pagan cultures, where an object tells you its war name but it's kept secret between you and the object and the Gods and can never be told. I probably ate too many mushrooms when I was a kid so that may explain it.

:rolleyes:   
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
I have read somewhere, maybe here, that one should never anthropomorphize a machine.

They don't like it.  8)

Offline miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Anthropomorphication seems to be a human tendency.

QFT
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Anthropomorphication seems to be a human tendency.

QFT

I think that I'd intended to write "Anthropomorphication seems to be a general tendency," but this worked out better.   ;)

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
I'm guilty of this. The wifes old Hurricane was The Cupcake (custom paint lent itself...). My prior ride was the Geeper or the Almighty GPZ. The current ZRX has earned it's moniker via multiple trench runs up and down I25...

Great googly-moogly!

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
I have been referring to my two bikes for some time as the old grey goat (04 1150GSA) and my cinnamon girl (08 1200GSA)   
The Old Grey Goat rides like a plush tractor, not fast but feels like he can push his way through anything in comfort. 
My Cinnamon Girl is smooth and sweet, she will take me anywhere with a smile.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
So, insomnia reared its ugly head, and my jumbled mind just came up with this sequence.

I have a black Ninjette.  Black Ninjette sounds like a comic book superhero from the era where any superhero with African heritage had to have the word Black in the character's name.  Noir is French for black.  Isn't Noire the feminine version?  Ninjette Noire sounds like a real name.  A Prairie Home Companion features stories about a private eye named Guy Noir.  Ninjette Noire could be a mysterious femme fatale.  If I named my bike Ninjette Noire, I'd have to make up some Raymond Chandler styled detective stories to go with the name.  That's a lot more work than I want to do.

I should just go back to bed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:00:32 PM by Baxter »

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
I have read somewhere, maybe here, that one should never anthropomorphize a machine.

They don't like it.  8)

https://images.app.goo.gl/gAqpN2BqbW79cRFb9

I have no imagination. Mine are, The Triumph, or The Trumpet, The Green one, The T dub.  :shrug:

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
All of my cars and bikes have had names. My RS is Roxy. Why? Well I have a strict OCD rule that the name starts with the first letter of the make or model. So, Roxy (RS) is sassy and fun so the name works for me. Don't ask me why, it's just what I have always done. I don't have some unusual attachment to things, I just like them having a name that sets them apart from others. Plus, I paid for it so I can name it anything I want.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
Since nobody asked for it, I'm going to threadjack and give you the opening of the Mystery of the Black Ninja. Narrated by Humphry Bogart's ghost:

It was only two in the afternoon when she walked into the bar.  She was wearing Channel's latest little black dress, a single strand of silvery pearls, and an attitude that said you should play nice with me 'cause I won't play nice with you.  A black clutch highlighted her red nails.  It was just large enough to conceal a .22.

She scanned the room looking for a set of challenging eyes. She found mine.  I knew she was trouble, and not the good kind.  That's when I met Ninjette Noire.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:59:29 PM by Baxter »

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
In an unrelated topic, chicken nuggets.
Bubbles is my bitch.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!

I like chicken nuggets.  But would Chicken Nuggets be a good name for a bike?  Which bike?  And why?   :beerchug:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
All of my cars and bikes have had names. My RS is Roxy. Why? Well I have a strict OCD rule that the name starts with the first letter of the make or model. So, Roxy (RS) is sassy and fun so the name works for me. Don't ask me why, it's just what I have always done. I don't have some unusual attachment to things, I just like them having a name that sets them apart from others. Plus, I paid for it so I can name it anything I want.

I like strict OCD rules.  My wife doesn't.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes

I like chicken nuggets.  But would Chicken Nuggets be a good name for a bike?  Which bike?  And why?   :beerchug:

Chicken Nuggets? No. Not a good name for a bike. Chicken Strips? Still marginal, but better.

Great googly-moogly!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
My cold's still here, but I'm feeling a little less puddin' headed today.  Did I inadvertently name my bike a couple of days ago?

Ninjette Noire, femme fatale of an unwritten, and slightly motorized, Raymond Chandler novel.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard

That's me.  The Bandit, the XR(650), and Tracker, and the '75 (XS650).  That said, I talk to her(the B12) when I'm getting hot in the twisties or going fast.  Well, I talk to myself, like I'm talking to her, and we're doing the dance.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
I don't normally name them but my Mom called the Yamaha 'the dumbbike' and I haven't been able to break the habit.

The others are called the RT and the Guzzi. They have all been 'you bitch' at some point when being cantankerous.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline thatguy

After a well done series of mountain road corners I will reach over and pat the tank as you would a dog's head when they're a good dog. :D

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
After a well done series of mountain road corners I will reach over and pat the tank as you would a dog's head when they're a good dog. :D

:beerchug:   :lol:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
my Mom called the Yamaha 'the dumbbike'

There's gotta be a story there.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
Star Trek geek zone:
My bikes since the early '90s have all been named Goddard. In the Star Trek: TNG episode where Scotty shows up from the original series, the episode ends with Scotty taking off to tour the universe alone in a shuttle on "long term loan." That shuttle was the Goddard.

Thanks to there being lots of folks who are even geekier than me, I found the shuttle's Starfleet registration number online and put it on one bike (my old '86 Connie 10).  NCC-1701-D/04. 
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)

Moms, bikes. That's probably the whole story.  ;)
A man with no sig

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
Star Trek geek zone:
My bikes since the early '90s have all been named Goddard. In the Star Trek: TNG episode where Scotty shows up from the original series, the episode ends with Scotty taking off to tour the universe alone in a shuttle on "long term loan." That shuttle was the Goddard.

Thanks to there being lots of folks who are even geekier than me, I found the shuttle's Starfleet registration number online and put it on one bike (my old '86 Connie 10).  NCC-1701-D/04.

Umm...

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Goddard_(NCC-1701-D/15)

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)

Moms, bikes. That's probably the whole story.  ;)

Pretty much.
Her reasoning was basically that it was louder and less pretty than the German one.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
A buddy had a Ninja with a KX500 engine in it. He called it Frankenbike. It was notorious for injuring it's riders.