Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per Baxter - the good things thread  (Read 5356 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Re: Per Baxter - the good things thread
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
Our house "Officially" went on the market around 10am Saturday, by 4pm we had a sale and wound up $5k over the asking price and were turning away interested/prospective buyers. I knew the Puget Sound housing market was insane, and we have a nice house in a desirable location but 6 hours from listing to firm sale offer is pretty fast.

Our new house won't be built for 6 months so we'll be getting rid of a ton of stuff, storing the rest and living in one of our daughters guest rooms for awhile.

First World problems I guess.  :smiley_thumb:

Congrats. That's awesome!!!  Our last sale was fast too. Not that fast but within a week on our house and first day on Grams house. Bummer about your being on the wrong coast. I love acquiring other people's tons of stuff during a move. 😁
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »
Our house "Officially" went on the market around 10am Saturday, by 4pm we had a sale and wound up $5k over the asking price and were turning away interested/prospective buyers. I knew the Puget Sound housing market was insane, and we have a nice house in a desirable location but 6 hours from listing to firm sale offer is pretty fast.

Our new house won't be built for 6 months so we'll be getting rid of a ton of stuff, storing the rest and living in one of our daughters guest rooms for awhile.

Congrats. That's awesome!!!  Our last sale was fast too. Not that fast but within a week on our house and first day on Grams house. Bummer about your being on the wrong coast. I love acquiring other people's tons of stuff during a move. 😁

Yes indeed, "quality pre-owned items, reasonably priced"..

Either that or they go to the dump I guess
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »

Congrats. Mom's house sold in a week. We under priced it a little to move because we didn't want to set on it for a long time to get a better price. Still-and-all, 5x original purchase price wasn't bad.

Donating to Salvation Army is an option (and in our house infinitely better than Goodwill).

Online stevent

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »

Congrats. Mom's house sold in a week. We under priced it a little to move because we didn't want to set on it for a long time to get a better price. Still-and-all, 5x original purchase price wasn't bad.

Donating to Salvation Army is an option (and in our house infinitely better than Goodwill).

Yes, Salvation Army is an option, as well as St Vincent De Paul. I'm giving Vulcanbill a chance to cover shipping to his place.... I'm pretty sure he's going to go for it, he's not the type to pass up a good deal...
 (  :augie: )
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
I usually think of myself as being mechanically reclined.  No training in home handyman or mechanical skills.  I just try to do the best I can.  And I try to know when I need to just go to a pro instead of messing something up.

However, I'm starting to realize that over the decades I've completed a lot of home handyman projects, and motorcycle mods, in a successful and workman like manner.  Maybe it takes me more time than a pro, and I do a lot of research and rely upon friends for advice.  But it's turning out well and I'm not becoming the pest who's always asking for help for everything.  And I haven't hurt myself.   :)

Maybe I need to stop comparing myself to family and friends who are much higher skilled than I am, and instead consider that I'm competent.  My strength here is not that I know what I'm doing.  Rather it is that I know that I don't know what I'm doing and I research the problem before getting at it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »
So I just vented in the Rant thread about my bro-in-law who constantly rants about small healthcare costs for his kids while spendthrifting himself into not having the money handy for necessities like healthcare for his kids.  I'd understand and accept his financial complaints if he was careful with his money, but he would easily have the funds available to meet these expenses if he spent more wisely.

That got me thinking.  I'm really very happy that my wife and I agree on finances, and that neither of us are spendthrifts.  Good planning and a lack of unfortunate events in our lives go very far in this world.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online stevent

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
So I just vented in the Rant thread about my bro-in-law who constantly rants about small healthcare costs for his kids while spendthrifting himself into not having the money handy for necessities like healthcare for his kids.  I'd understand and accept his financial complaints if he was careful with his money, but he would easily have the funds available to meet these expenses if he spent more wisely.

That got me thinking.  I'm really very happy that my wife and I agree on finances, and that neither of us are spendthrifts.  Good planning and a lack of unfortunate events in our lives go very far in this world.

That's a huge, though often contentious issue. Fortunately my wife and I are also on the same page financially, if anything she reins in my tendency to buy on impulse. We each have our priorities of course and some of the things we each value the other doesn't, but we at least discuss things and ultimately we both get what we want..

Money wasn't an issue with my first wife because we didn't really have any, my second wife could spend money like a drunken sailor and it was a pretty serious bone of contention between us.

Third times the charm I guess, we both come from near identical circumstances and life experiences, and were only 6 months apart in age so I think that really plays a huge roll too. 

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
Yep, first wife went through money like crazy, second one is much better. she has her $ I have mine we split the bills and everyone is happy. If a new horse, or motorcycle shows up it's not a big deal.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
I'm back to dropping about $2400/month on health care, so I can't add much to the good thread on that topic, but the good news is, I'm still earning enough without rushing back into a dead-end corporate 9-5, that I can take my time shopping for the right full time gig and still have competent health care coverage. Yeah, it has completely decimated, again, any "fun" spending, but this too shall pass, as they say. :)
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Yep, first wife went through money like crazy, second one is much better. she has her $ I have mine we split the bills and everyone is happy. If a new horse, or motorcycle shows up it's not a big deal.

That's kinda like we do. We each have our own checking & investment accounts, and pay equally into a common account for household expenses.  Mind you, we're both on all of the accounts in case something comes up while one or the other is not available for some reason. 

It also helps that we are modest and practical spenders who don't get a kick from having fancy brand names on our stuff.  My car and bike cost about the same as her car, so we're pretty even on our big expenditures as well. And our incomes have been very close so no one feels more constrained than the other.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:56:35 PM by Baxter »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
I'm back to dropping about $2400/month on health care, so I can't add much to the good thread on that topic, but the good news is, I'm still earning enough without rushing back into a dead-end corporate 9-5, that I can take my time shopping for the right full time gig and still have competent health care coverage. Yeah, it has completely decimated, again, any "fun" spending, but this too shall pass, as they say. :)

We're all rooting for you!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
This morning I was standing at the sink, and my feet were being pleasantly warmed by the under-vanity air vent.  I really appreciate central heating with automatic controls.

My father had to stoke a coal furnace before and after school. My mother's childhood home was heated by a wood fireplace in each room.  This is much better.  It's amazing what a century can bring.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:00:25 PM by Baxter »

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »

I eventually negotiated with my wife that I pay all the bills in exchange for her never asking me for money ever again. I can't plan for insanity.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
This morning I was standing at the sink, and my feet were being pleasantly warmed by the under-vanity air vent.  I really appreciate central heating with automatic controls.

My father had to stoke a coal furnace before and after school. My mother's childhood home was heated by a wood fireplace in each room.  This is much better.  It's amazing what a century can bring.

Different strokes I guess...  I’m currently sitting in the rocker (from freecycle) not two feet from the nice cozy wood stove. I love it. I’m fine with cutting my own firewood and splitting and the rest of the fun that accompanies a wood burning lifestyle. Had it as a kid too but never lost the attraction. We have plans for when the bodies are no longer capable of the wood burning lifestyle but we hope and pray that many years are in between then and now. Oh and the 50 or so dollar a month electric bill is kinda nice too.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »
Last week I had the honor of walking my oldest daughter down the aisle. It was a gorgeous day and everyone had a great time. She was a beautiful bride!( I know I'm biased, but she really was  :inlove: )

Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
Last week I had the honor of walking my oldest daughter down the aisle. It was a gorgeous day and everyone had a great time. She was a beautiful bride!( I know I'm biased, but she really was  :inlove: )

Congratulations!  And yes, she IS gorgeous.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2019, 07:06:39 AM »
Thank you!
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Hard to tell with all the bush.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
Last week I had the honor of walking my oldest daughter down the aisle.
That is a Good Thing.
 :clap:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »
We were concerned that ye olde artificial Christmas Tree would be too wide for the best and most logical place to put it in the new home.  It fit!  So I don't need to swap it out for a slimline tree.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »
This could be in the "What did you do today non-moto" thread, but it was really good news.

I FIXED MY DISHWASHER!  I went through everything everyone advised, no luck.  As a last-ditch I pulled the whole thing out and tipped it over to see what I could see.  There appeared to be a larger pump under there- I managed to pull it off and found a screen on front of it that was full of crap.  Cleaned it and put it back together and it seems to be worked well- and not even leaking!

Some days it all comes together.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »
Way to go Clay  :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have a hard time just tossin in the towel, and seeing others fix rather than replace is FANTASTIC! Congrats
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
I watched the "pro" fix my dishwasher by removing the kick plate, pulling a few (water) lines, and clearing them out. I've not called for that kind of service since.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
Good for you, Clay.  More and more it seems as if paying for a trained repair person can cost almost enough to warrant buying a replacement.  I do believe that people should be paid for their time, knowledge and effort, but sometimes a repair just isn't worth the price.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm the same.  I HATE to give things up- I have several items that could be replaced but simply remain as a testament to my passion to not give up.

I figured I was at the point, I'd go in deep and see what I could find.  A win.
Let's do some science.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
Got the call you don’t want to get...my kid and his buddy were on the other side of the state and were in an accident on the highway.

Turns out it was just a fender bender and everybody was okay.  Popped the radiator, but 1-1/2 hours later I net them at a Jimmy Johns and brought them both back home.

Plus his buddy was driving, so my kids care ain’t wrecked, he didn’t get the ticket, and his insurance won’t go up.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »
Ugh.  Glad it worked out!
Let's do some science.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2019, 02:24:58 AM »
Not dead yet despite a history of poor choices and bad decisions.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2019, 08:45:18 PM »
It seems from the outcome so far you are not trying hard enough

Hang in there,
not Hang there
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
I had my physical today. Everything is as expected, but the blood work hasn't come back from the lab. 

If I got off my butt and did more cardio, things would likely all sort themselves out. Maybe even to reduce or eliminate the blood pressure pills.  I knew that already.  But the powers of laziness are strong in me.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »
We retired last year and started taking the actual steps to move to Milwaukee about this time last year. And we decided on the new home we purchased very quickly because it fit our criteria and was close to familiar areas near family. But we only stepped foot in four homes before we made an offer on the place we bought.

My wife absolutely believes this home is great. However, I've been nagged by the notion that we chose too soon, and that given time to become more familiar with the whole metro area and to see more homes on the market, we might have found a better place. Especially since there was no reason to be rushed because we are both retired.

But after becoming familiar with the metro area and after seeing online what housing is available over the course of a year, I think we found a very good place in a very convenient location. I've found some similar places, but nothing that makes me regret this decision.  And the neighbors are pretty good as well; nice and friendly, but typical suburbanites who are more concerned with their yards than with anything substantive affecting the world.

It's kinda like living in Tolkien's Shire. Our Hobbit-hole is all so very nice, and the bad in the world is just a rumor of things far, far away. Sometimes, however, I wish I were in Rivendell, Minas Tirith or Edoras. Fighting evil sounds so much more interesting than fighting dandelions. But I should be careful what I wish for.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
We got a puppy.
A man with no sig

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
I had my physical today. Everything is as expected, but the blood work hasn't come back from the lab. 

If I got off my butt and did more cardio, things would likely all sort themselves out. Maybe even to reduce or eliminate the blood pressure pills.  I knew that already.  But the powers of laziness are strong in me.

Me too. The Dr used words like "excellent" and such. When the blood work came back everything was also mostly excellent but some [insert cryptic alphanumeric here] meant that I have an abdominal scan tomorrow.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »

Me too. The Dr used words like "excellent" and such. When the blood work came back everything was also mostly excellent but some [insert cryptic alphanumeric here] meant that I have an abdominal scan tomorrow.

My tests came back good, some measures even improved.  Retirement is supposed to be less stressful, but with all the bother of moving I thought the stress reduction wouldn't really happen until later.  And I think I'm eating more sausage and cheese here in Wisconsin, so I was really surprised by my healthy sodium and cholesterol results.

My family tends to have early deaths and late deaths, with few deaths at national averages.  And it's very pronounced on my Mother's side of the family where we either get diabetes or heart issues and die before 60 (or 70 in recent years), and the oldsters who escape both of those and live independently in their own homes to their late 90s.  I want to get in better shape if my event horizon is 40 years.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2019, 02:48:48 AM »
3 more working days till Christmas.

― Frank Zappa

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2019, 08:19:01 PM »
It's kinda like living in Tolkien's Shire. Our Hobbit-hole is all so very nice, and the bad in the world is just a rumor of things far, far away. Sometimes, however, I wish I were in Rivendell, Minas Tirith or Edoras. Fighting evil sounds so much more interesting than fighting dandelions. But I should be careful what I wish for.

Dude.  That is a freaking brillianty observation and echjoes much of my own thoughts. 

Of course my good thing is that it ins now CHristmas break, and after helping my briothe rmove into his new palace I am about 4 bers and two whiskies in.  Things are good.
Let's do some science.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »

Dude.  That is a freaking brillianty observation and echjoes much of my own thoughts. 

Of course my good thing is that it ins now CHristmas break, and after helping my briothe rmove into his new palace I am about 4 bers and two whiskies in.  Things are good.

Woo! The moderator is loaded, anything goes tonight!

Also, Clay's brother lives in a palace. How cool is that?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »

Woo! The moderator is loaded, anything goes tonight!

Also, Clay's brother lives in a palace. How cool is that?

The vacation begins!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:59 PM »

:beerchug: :thumbsup: :bigok:

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2019, 12:05:02 AM »
l

...And I think I'm eating more sausage and cheese here in Wisconsin...

Yeah, even when you don't want to, you're in Wisconsin and that's the law.

:bigok: on the test results. That makes for a merrier Christmas.
A man with no sig

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2019, 02:54:55 AM »
Always screenshot drunk posts for later use.

― Frank Zappa

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
I'm back.  And sober.  Mostly.  It is quite a pad...
Let's do some science.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »

Um, huh?

― Frank Zappa

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
Wrapping paper is now on sale

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »

Um, huh?

Helped my brother move, and my wife has been keeping me on bigger projects, so I haven't had time for a cigar or many brews yet.  On the bright side good things are happening at the compound.
Let's do some science.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2020, 04:44:45 AM »
We are finally getting our '18 taxes back. All of it. Every penny we paid in. They did not want to let it go.

Stick it to the man.

Guess who is going gun shopping?

― Frank Zappa

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
Rifle? Pistol? Purpose?

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
Rifle? Pistol? Purpose?

Yes, yes, addicted.

― Frank Zappa