Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per Baxter - the good things thread  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: Per Baxter - the good things thread
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »
I was going to give my $0.02 and recommend the Tikka T3X Tac A1 with folding stock. Out-of-the-box accuracy.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »
I was going to give my $0.02 and recommend the Tikka T3X Tac A1 with folding stock. Out-of-the-box accuracy.

In Massachusetts folding stocks are bad.

S&W Governor, Ruger GP100, Henry .22 magnum.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2020, 09:07:39 AM »

In Massachusetts folding stocks are bad.

S&W Governor, Ruger GP100, Henry .22 magnum.

So get the stock that doesn't fold and save some bank.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »
We finally received a meaningful snowfall in the Milwaukee area last night.  One of my condo fantasies came true this morning as I stood at the window snug and warm while drinking coffee and watching someone who isn't me clearing my driveway.   :wings:

I wonder whether my Dad felt this good when I was a kid clearing the driveway and he was supervising from inside?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
We finally received a meaningful snowfall in the Milwaukee area last night.  One of my condo fantasies came true this morning as I stood at the window snug and warm while drinking coffee and watching someone who isn't me clearing my driveway.   :wings:

I wonder whether my Dad felt this good when I was a kid clearing the driveway and he was supervising from inside?

Maybe he did, it all depends if he was paying you

:couch:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Today is my oldest son's birthday, he turned 17 today.

My sons biggest enjoyments in life is riding his bicycle. Well last week one of the shifter cables let go. I looked into my reservoir of bicycle parts, nope not one like that. We put the bike into the truck and headed down to out independent bike shop (a real Mom and Pop & hires all the local kids). Owner looks at the bike and gives me a rundown of how in need of repairs is. In truth he rides the darn thing 4 hours a day on weekdays and twice chat on weekends. So sure it needs a bit of tuning, Ya like I said his biggest joy.

I like the bike shop and am ok with supporting them, so I told him to give it the works (about $230) Well today is my sons B day and the bike should be done so we went to get it.

Love this shop, bike was washed and detailed, not just the shifter cables but ALL cables, new brake shoes & brake calipers have been overhauled (they took them off, disassembled, cleaned, lubed and put them back on with real good settings), chain is new and so are the rear set. Shifters also overhauled and the crank set removed and bearings have fresh grease, pedals are also clean and spin free. Spokes were checked and rims trued.  Love this shop, that and the bill was less than the quote. Heck I would have paid the full quote.

My son gave it a ride around the parking lot and the smile was worth any price. Not only was the bike in great shape he was at home on the bike again (after a week off) This was the highlight of his B day, that and the time on the beach. 

Once we got back home, my son took off for a little over an hour on his bicycle. When he came back he gave me a big hug (he does not really talk so for him this is huge).

Today was a good day
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
Excellent.  :clap:

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »
Meanwhile, winter snow accumulations in Texas...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
Today is my oldest son's birthday, he turned 17 today.

My sons biggest enjoyments in life is riding his bicycle. Well last week one of the shifter cables let go. I looked into my reservoir of bicycle parts, nope not one like that. We put the bike into the truck and headed down to out independent bike shop (a real Mom and Pop & hires all the local kids). Owner looks at the bike and gives me a rundown of how in need of repairs is. In truth he rides the darn thing 4 hours a day on weekdays and twice chat on weekends. So sure it needs a bit of tuning, Ya like I said his biggest joy.

I like the bike shop and am ok with supporting them, so I told him to give it the works (about $230) Well today is my sons B day and the bike should be done so we went to get it.

Love this shop, bike was washed and detailed, not just the shifter cables but ALL cables, new brake shoes & brake calipers have been overhauled (they took them off, disassembled, cleaned, lubed and put them back on with real good settings), chain is new and so are the rear set. Shifters also overhauled and the crank set removed and bearings have fresh grease, pedals are also clean and spin free. Spokes were checked and rims trued.  Love this shop, that and the bill was less than the quote. Heck I would have paid the full quote.

My son gave it a ride around the parking lot and the smile was worth any price. Not only was the bike in great shape he was at home on the bike again (after a week off) This was the highlight of his B day, that and the time on the beach. 

Once we got back home, my son took off for a little over an hour on his bicycle. When he came back he gave me a big hug (he does not really talk so for him this is huge).

Today was a good day

Reading that was a nice start to my day.    :bigok:
A man with no sig

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2020, 09:52:28 PM »

Maybe he did, it all depends if he was paying you

:couch:

Nope, just my expected chores.  I think most people are raising their kids differently these days. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2020, 06:55:33 AM »
...... he turned 17 today......   he gave me a big hug (he does not really talk so for him this is huge).
 Today was a good day

Anytime you can get a hug from a 17 y.o. son, is a GREAT day!
old enough to know better

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
CANDY CANES ARE ON SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
I had an excellent 3 day weekend, starting Friday after I got home from work, I light the portable gas fireplace and sat on the back porch looking at the trees and drinking a sixer of Alaskan Amber, my wife came home and broke out the Alexa and a bottle of wine and had a great time cozied up enjoying the fresh air... Grandkids thought we were nuts so bonus points there.

Saturday and Sunday we chilled with family, went out and looked at the foundation for our new house and watched the 49ers beat Green Bay and ate some killer Elk steak tacos (more beer and wine)

Monday was my birthday so I had breakfast and handmade cards from the kiddies again, then my son in law and I went riding for a couple of hours, up to the snow line basically, then pizza with the family at my favorite wood fired pizza joint.

All in all a pretty fine few days off.  :smiley_thumb:
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2020, 07:16:53 PM »
^Who are you and what did you do with that grumpy stevent?

(Happy Birthday!)
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:57 PM »
LOL, who me, grumpy? Surely not🙄..

Thanks for the BD wish..
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
40's and 50's for the next week, not bad for Jan. in SD
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
Had my room mom (that's a thing in the elementary- they really don't do much in middle school) bring in a cake for my half-birthday (which was yesterday I guess).  My birthday is Sept 8, so school is just starting.  She came this morning and said she was going to bring in a cake, when did I want it?  That's the first time that ever happened.

Totally made my day.  It's the simple things.   :inlove:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
We had a manager from another department come walking through IT and chatting with people on a semi-regular basis. She was great. Upbeat without being sappy or "bubbly". Always positive and occasionally accompanied by home made cookies. No one ever said anything specifically about her presence but when she transfered (some years later) we all missed her.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »
My son (sheriff not engineer) is out of the hospital and resting well, my daughter in law is good and giving my a 'fresh' granddaughter in 6 weeks, my daughter just old me she is adding to the grandchild pile also, and I'm on day two of a job with a history of paying their employees!

Got a new battery and a jacket on the way. Things are looking up!
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
My son (sheriff not engineer) is out of the hospital and resting well, my daughter in law is good and giving my a 'fresh' granddaughter in 6 weeks, my daughter just old me she is adding to the grandchild pile also, and I'm on day two of a job with a history of paying their employees!

Got a new battery and a jacket on the way. Things are looking up!

Well that's all good! But what happened to your son, the sheriff? Did I miss that somewhere?
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »
I was accepted and cleared my back round check at the Air Heritage Museum, I also was granted a hanger license. So now i can go and help keep some aviation history alive. :banana: :banana:

WWW.airheritage.org
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »
So Milwaukee's Mama Tried motorcycle show was cancelled.  Some folks decided to have a mini-bike and motorized port-a-potty race on a roundabout near the H-D Museum instead, including a mobile outhouse!

YEA!  People doing "normal" things!

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/motor/2020/03/15/milwaukee-roundabout-draws-minibikes-and-portable-outhouse/5053891002/

You might have to click twice on the embedded video.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:10:30 PM by Baxter »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
On the lighter side …

We're oven-roasting a pork tenderloin. The whole house smells wonderful and our 17 year old doggo has had a big smile on his face and is more animated than his age has allowed him in a long while. 

He can barely see or hear, but his sniffer works surprisingly well.   :D

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »

He can barely see or hear, but his sniffer works surprisingly well.   :D

Hope for us all.
 :naughty:

I was accepted and cleared my back round check at the Air Heritage Museum, I also was granted a hanger license. So now i can go and help keep some aviation history alive. :banana: :banana:

WWW.airheritage.org

Awesome jealousy over here.
Congrats!
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »
I have two good items:

I got my my moto insurance bill back in November and it was quite a bit more than it has been in the 9 years I've had this bike.  It would seem that the collision premium more than doubled.  I called and basically said why on earth would that go up so much on a bike you're just going to total and give me peanuts for?  They gave me the standard "blah, blah, blah" answer that actuarial folks do.  Whatever, it's still crazy cheap for full coverage so I paid the bill and went on with my life.

Yesterday, I got a letter saying they were doing policy audits and found out they charged me too much (duh) and they are sending me half my premium back.

Yay me!

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
Today I received notification that my application for promotion to Full Professor has been approved.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »
Today I received notification that my application for promotion to Full Professor has been approved.

― Frank Zappa

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »

Yay! I mean how could they not approve?!

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »

Big Congrats to this  :bigok:

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2020, 08:10:41 PM »
Homemade sauerkraut came outta the fermenting crock. Joy in a jar. Next up, evil kimchee. Color scares me, but we'll see in another month...

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »

Congrats!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »

When you start at the bottom of the page and scroll up - this image hits first.

My mind went to - 1) why would someone take a picture of 'blown-chunks' in the toilet and 2) those are big chunks.

And then scrolling up a bit more fills the story...

Sorry LT* - I hope it "tastes great"

* but not sorry enough to not post it ;-)
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2020, 11:14:15 PM »

Awesomeness!!!!   Congrats!!!!!

Now, don't go into administration.    :nono:

In more good news, my elder son just got a raise and promotion. It's a good time to be working for a video game company. And I thought that all gaming could never turn into a career...     :lol:
A man with no sig

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2020, 01:45:04 AM »

Major congratulations!!   That is quite an achievement these days (unrelated to the pandemic) when it seems that most universities are doing everything possible to reduce costs and obligations.    :clap: :clap:

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Seriously.  No.  I plan to show up, probably wearing pants, and ride this gig out until I can retire. Think of me as the Cookie of academia.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
😁

― Frank Zappa

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Seriously.  No.  I plan to show up, probably wearing pants, and ride this gig out until I can retire. Think of me as the Cookie of academia.

majQa'

So...when you say pants...

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »
Yes!

My Other Hobby

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2020, 09:08:16 AM »

Congratulations. Now get to work on the coconuts!

As for the kimchi... YIPPEEE! You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I watched someone make it once. Talk about a lot of work.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »

Yea!

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »

Very cool!  congrats!
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »
Got the call yesterday that our company is getting some of the SBA money. We are bringing back 80% of our work force. I'll be working from home for the most part again. Will be nice to get off the unemployment.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:51 PM »
Got the call yesterday that our company is getting some of the SBA money. We are bringing back 80% of our work force. I'll be working from home for the most part again. Will be nice to get off the unemployment.

Woohoo!

:wings:

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »

Excellent! 

I've been thinking back to times in my career where these closures would have really put my life in a bind.  Scary to think about.  I'm hoping for the remaining 20% that future employers understand that this period of unemployment shouldn't reflect badly on them since it's a societal issue. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »

Congrats!
wow!
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
About every year for the last 15 of my career, we experienced furloughs. I was always essential even when it meant coming to work without pay (for a month or more once). All the commute costs but none of the stay-home luxuries of non-essential personnel.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
A neighbor seemed interested in talking about my motorcycle every time we saw each other.  I thought it was just small talk that was limited to the one visible thing where I had an interest.  But he just brought home a Honda Ruckus!  We've just doubled the number of motorbikes in the neighborhood!

Hmm ... I might be having an influence on my new neighborhood?   ;D

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
There goes the neighborhood. Next it will be roving scooter gangs.
old enough to know better

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
A neighbor seemed interested in talking about my motorcycle every time we saw each other.  I thought it was just small talk that was limited to the one visible thing where I had an interest.  But he just brought home a Honda Ruckus!  We've just doubled the number of motorbikes in the neighborhood!

Hmm ... I might be having an influence on my new neighborhood?   ;D

Sounds like you have started a Ruckus in the neighborhood.   :razz:

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
There goes the neighborhood. Next it will be roving scooter gangs.

They've already taken over our neighborhood; run by a curly-haired 8 year-old & her 6-year-old accomplice with blond pigtails.  They keep pressuring me to wheelie up the driveway.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh