Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per Baxter - the good things thread  (Read 5369 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Per Baxter - the good things thread
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
Slightly off topic here, but this thread's title caused me to wonder whether there would be much support for a good or happy things thread? We could list random things that turned out well.  It would be the opposite of the eternally-popular rant thread.

I'm a few countable months from the end of child support, which terminates any need for communications with my ex ever again.

I keep finding some nice contracts that keep the bank account from going negative, even if not leaving me enough to build a cushion, but I'm happy with the diversity of work and the short, quick time lines; none of these projects are going on long enough to get stale.

Liz bought me a truck.

I have a reliable Honda motorcycle.

Next!
this signature on hold pending review

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: Per Baxter - the good things thread
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
I trust you are still in touch with the fruit of your loins, tho.

I have spent two weeks in Italy. Sorrento was utterly beautiful but silly expensive. And I only saw one Moto Guzzi. Sicily was utterly stunning and cheap (just don't drive there). And I saw old friends.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »
It's the one year anniversary (on Monday) of my 1190 attacking me in the road and destroying my left leg. Just got back from a very nice, all-day ride to southeast OH. It's all good. Range of motion and strength are both near 100%. Sometimes it just feels a little weaker than the good leg (but still improving). I expect/hope ski season will even things out.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
Good to hear from you Papa; you've been rather quiet lately.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
I'm no fertilizer.  That's a start.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
My kids are healthy, my wife loves me unconditionally, my debt is completely manageable, I only work three days a week, I want for nothing.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
Retirement mode is taking this time.  Got nothing really planned for October so far, but November is full of wonderful travel destinations.
--Tom

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
Just celebrated my 31st wedding anniversary.  :inlove: Still wondering how the f*** I got so old.  :lol:
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
It's nice to hook up the scanner and get zero fault codes about anything at all.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 08:18:10 PM »
I can’t complain.
 :smoking:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »
It's the last night of Oktoberfest so for the appetizer I made potato croquettes. Unfortunately German doesn't have the word 'tots' so I had to call them 'Kartoffelkinder' - Potato Children. Ha.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 09:21:31 PM »
It's nice to hook up the scanner and get zero fault codes about anything at all.

Apparently it’s not an Audi
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »
Put the quad in the truck with the new ramps and new riser rack to raise the front end so the back sits on the bed.  Tied it down with the cool new cargobuckle auto retracting ratcheting tie downs which are super awesome. Pulled the camper up to an ATV joint in PA and went riding with some friends. Room under the rack for the little Honda 2000 and 4 gas cans and some other stuff. Truck did great. Riding was great. Kim did great on the back and preferred jumping the larger humps to just riding over them. Good day. Good times.  Currently camped in my brother's yard tho cuz sleeping next to a huge windmill is just not a thing.  But very happy with truck/camper/quad combo and how they all performed together.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 06:13:24 AM »
I can’t complain.
 :smoking:

Me neither.

sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:48 AM »
It's the last night of Oktoberfest so for the appetizer I made potato croquettes. Unfortunately German doesn't have the word 'tots' so I had to call them 'Kartoffelkinder' - Potato Children. Ha.

They just call them croquettes over there.  I learned that back in August.

Oh yeah, my finances are good enough that I can take a 2 week vacation in Austria. 

And I have an amazing spouse who will take 2 weeks off during the busiest season of the year for his industry.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
Also, I must live in Lake Woebegone, because my children are above average.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
OK, after the gloom I cast into the Rant thread, here's my good stuff:

My moto runs, and runs well.

Pillion auditions are underway and I think I've found one.  She says she's bonded with the bike as much as me.

She's 200 miles away, but that includes the whole length of Hwy 96.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
Our company is a sponsor at the local OHL hockey rink. We had the rink Zamboni painted up like one of our service vans. We just need to get them to put a ladder rack on it and get the driver one of our uniforms.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
The positive on a cancer screening I had ,was a false positive. Nothing there,clear ,nada. Took a ton of worry away.😁
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
The positive on a cancer screening I had ,was a false positive. Nothing there,clear ,nada. Took a ton of worry away.😁

I'd say we have a winner of the good things thread!  :wings:  Glad to here all is good Jack

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
Thats what I was worried about at the Ohio meet. Kind of kept it quiet till I knew more.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
My wife and I celebrated the 1st anniversary of our retirement on October 1st.  And no debilitating health issues have yet arisen at our ages, meaning the likelihood of happy lives is higher than average.

The basement at our new home appears to be watertight despite overly-plentiful rains this year.  It isn't an irrelevant concern because two of my wife's sisters live nearby and both have had water issues.

The doggo is 16, and a little blind, a little deaf, and occasionally confused.  But otherwise he's healthy and happy.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
I'm also happy to see that we have things to be happy about!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
Today the weather is warm, sky is blue & the wind is from the shore to the sea. I think I'll go play in the garage, got a few projects to enjoy  🛵

And to boot, she that encourages me, has given her blessings on acquiring a new toy. Now looking for a good deal on it, anyone have a line on a CT110??
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »
maddjack  :bigok:
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »
Tonight was the first time riding the Ninjette after dark--the headlights work!

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »

75% of them, yes. I have a great relationship with each son and my youngest daughter. My older daughter is... not talking to me. She did email me the other day, so that was cool. But it was to yell at me for her not being able to see her doc because the insurance company hadn't yet processed my COBRA registration, so that was less cool. I even have an email from my former employer and the insurance folks that it was on them, but that doesn't matter. I'm still the asshole. :shrug:

My wife suggested we give my youngest daughter my truck (her car just died a horrible death), and Liz would get me in to a newer, bigger truck. We did. She did. The thing is, she doesn't even know my daughter because my ex convinced the court that my wife is psychotic, and they disallowed my minor children from being around Liz. Comical, really. At least it would be if I didn't have to treat my kids and wife like I have two separate families. My older kids agree it's f'ing idiotic, and we see them often; both sons have actually lived with us for a time each, and gosh, no psychosis, no craziness, just lots of laughing and happiness and good times and love.

Sarah, my youngest, will be 18 soon, and I really would love for her to meet Liz. I think they're going to get along great, and Sarah is well aware Liz doesn't want to try to be her mom or push her mom out of the way, or anything like that. It's all just so silly.

And dumb.

And wrong. It's just wrong.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 04:26:23 PM »

That is freaking awesome.  Congrats!

Good news?  I love my job, my family is doing great, and things are smooth.  I missed the Saturday opener of deer bow season because I went to my son's Cross Country meet- I'm told it was the largest meet east of the Mississippi.  This fall we told him (a 7th grader) that he was going to do Cross Country since he will not be allowed to come home and screen time.  After repeatedly telling us how he hates us and how bad of parents we are, last week he turned the page and says he's starting to enjoy it- especially the team aspect.  Well and good.  Deer hunting continues, but my boy is only a boy once.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »

75% of them, yes. I have a great relationship with each son and my youngest daughter. My older daughter is... not talking to me. She did email me the other day, so that was cool. But it was to yell at me for her not being able to see her doc because the insurance company hadn't yet processed my COBRA registration, so that was less cool. I even have an email from my former employer and the insurance folks that it was on them, but that doesn't matter. I'm still the asshole. :shrug:

My wife suggested we give my youngest daughter my truck (her car just died a horrible death), and Liz would get me in to a newer, bigger truck. We did. She did. The thing is, she doesn't even know my daughter because my ex convinced the court that my wife is psychotic, and they disallowed my minor children from being around Liz. Comical, really. At least it would be if I didn't have to treat my kids and wife like I have two separate families. My older kids agree it's f'ing idiotic, and we see them often; both sons have actually lived with us for a time each, and gosh, no psychosis, no craziness, just lots of laughing and happiness and good times and love.

Sarah, my youngest, will be 18 soon, and I really would love for her to meet Liz. I think they're going to get along great, and Sarah is well aware Liz doesn't want to try to be her mom or push her mom out of the way, or anything like that. It's all just so silly.

And dumb.

Happy thread.  You're doing it wrong.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
Just spent nearly the last 2 weeks driving all around the West and NW US outback. Loads of fun.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
I have a beautiful, sexy and most importantly very understanding wife, kids that are doing great, a garage with fantastic motorcycles in it, some decent skis for the winter and beer money in my pocket....... I can't complain but some times I still do....
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
I have a beautiful, sexy and most importantly very understanding wife, kids that are doing great, a garage with fantastic motorcycles in it, some decent skis for the winter and beer money in my pocket....... I can't complain but some times I still do....

Complain....so much easier...

https://youtu.be/Px0POtu17cs
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
I was thinking more Joe Walsh, but ya, that works too....

https://youtu.be/BXWvKDSwvls

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »

Nah. That was all good stuff. The best revenge is living a happy life. <3

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »

And dumb.

He can't help it.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
The temps dropped about 11 degrees on my afternoon ride today.  Heated grips are really great to have!

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »

👍👍 The most unappreciated band ever.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »

👍👍 The most unappreciated band ever.

And we may see dUg pinnick at the Hendrix Experience this weekend... so there's some happiness!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »
As much as I've complained about some of the scotch tape repairs and stripped screws in the new home, I should mention something I found that was a surprise good thing.

We were hanging my grandmother's large ornate mirror above the fireplace and I was anticipating having to use some sort of drywall anchor as I doubted that the studs would be symmetrical.  But surprise, they were symmetrically centered on the fireplace and the mirror went up with ease.  Or at least as much ease as a project that required four people to lift into place can be said to be easy. Maybe this was coincidence, maybe the carpenters who framed this house were practical thinkers.  Anyway, it was a good deal.

On another note, I discovered that there is enough clearance between the top of the cabinets and underneath of the countertop in the basement bar that I don't have to drill between each cabinet to run the beerfridge waterline from the sink.   :D  And my bro-in-law, who's built or remodeled several kitchens and bars, has volunteered to help me shave down the protruding counter at the side of the cabinets so the beerfridge will fit. It'll be nice to have an expert who knows how to do finish carpentry well along for this project.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
spent the day with middle son (the musician) combing old record shops. cleaning them right now, in an ultrasonic bath.

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
OK, after the gloom I cast into the Rant thread, here's my good stuff:

My moto runs, and runs well.

Pillion auditions are underway and I think I've found one.  She says she's bonded with the bike as much as me.

She's 200 miles away, but that includes the whole length of Hwy 96.

OK, I was a PG&E power outage refugee.  They turned the power off when I had a big work deadline next Tuesday and work out the wazoo as a result.  But my new pillion had rented a beach house for a long weekend about halfway between our homes, with WiFi and all mod cons.  Rather than just spend one night with her and feeling guilty about leaving work behind, I'm here mit the laptop working the work and working the gal.  Life is good.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
We're in the middle of selling our house and buying a new construction rambler... That's pretty cool.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
Yesterday I went into the company contracted Dr. for my DOT physical (commercial drivers license), the cloud of doom was above my head. Now being in my mid 50's and not in the best of shape, I was expecting to get the full run around, Do this, see your personal physician and have bla bla bla done and report back. Holding me out on the line to dance like a macab trophy art on halloween. Well turns out going in as the last person on a friday afternoon has its advantages, nobody wants to stay late. That and having lost 35 lbs this year I walked out with a 2 year medical certificate !!!! For those of you who don't know about the DOT medical 2 years is as long a time as they can sign off for. Ya it feels good the clouds parted and the sun shone down  :bigok:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
Good deed done today.

This morning at the Asda check out I was behind an old lady in the queue. Her bill came to £56.83 but when she counted out all her change she only had just under £50. I thought she was probably someone’s Gran and I’d like to think someone would have helped my Gran out when she was alive.

She didn’t want me to help her but I insisted, and in no time we had all her shopping back on the shelves.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
 8)

Talked my brother into going to see the new Breaking Bad movie on the 1-day-theater-showing schedule it has before going back to streaming.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »
Hendrix Experience. It. Was. Fucking. Awesome. Closed with Doug Pinnick, Kenny Aronoff, and Joe Satriani blowing our hair back with their rendition of Voodoo Child.

There was more fabulous stuff, but I just woke up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:52:30 AM by viffergyrl »

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »
Good deed done today.

This morning at the Asda check out I was behind an old lady in the queue. Her bill came to £56.83 but when she counted out all her change she only had just under £50. I thought she was probably someone’s Gran and I’d like to think someone would have helped my Gran out when she was alive.

She didn’t want me to help her but I insisted, and in no time we had all her shopping back on the shelves.

Made me laugh.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
I was on Google Maps scouting good riding areas when I discovered that Wisconsin has named a nature preserve for me!  And I've only lived here a few months!  Yea!  Maybe I should run for governor?

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp?SNA=82

And Papa, gheeze!   :)

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
Our house "Officially" went on the market around 10am Saturday, by 4pm we had a sale and wound up $5k over the asking price and were turning away interested/prospective buyers. I knew the Puget Sound housing market was insane, and we have a nice house in a desirable location but 6 hours from listing to firm sale offer is pretty fast.

Our new house won't be built for 6 months so we'll be getting rid of a ton of stuff, storing the rest and living in one of our daughters guest rooms for awhile.

First World problems I guess.  :smiley_thumb:
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
I was on Google Maps scouting good riding areas when I discovered that Wisconsin has named a nature preserve for me!  And I've only lived here a few months!  Yea!  Maybe I should run for governor?

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp?SNA=82

And Papa, gheeze!   :)
It's a nice riding area too.
When you go, take the Merrimac ferry, at least one way.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen