Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Printer cable question...  (Read 2596 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Printer cable question...
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
So I am upgrading computers at home.  The problem is that our old workhorse printer HP LaserJet 4050N only has a serial printer cable.  I had it hooked up to my old desktop and shared it via the network and XP on that computer.  Our "network" is really just run through the AT&T router.  My new rig obviously doesn't have a printer port, and the 4050 doesn't have a USB hookup.

Any ideas how to hook it up?  It's old, but the thing works like a champ, and I even have a spare cartridge for it...

Edited to add:
Is this really all I need?  Anyone running one?
http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Printer-Adapter-Connect-parallel/dp/B004FLP2EY/ref=sr_1_1/191-4680985-2567563?ie=UTF8&qid=1390016662&sr=8-1&keywords=36+pin+parallel+to+usb
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
Re: Printer cable question...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
Get an HP Jetdirect 610N expansion card and plug it directly in your network. I saw one going for $30 on amazon.
Ride safe!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
4050N... In the HP line, "N" typically means "network". Is there an Ethernet port on the back of that puppy? If yes, is your AT&T gateway nearby? If yes to that, just connect the printer directly to the Ethernet port and reduce the "desktop PC" as the middleman. Set a static IP address for the printer and have the workstations print to that IP address.

If that's not an option, then, yes, your Parallel to USB adapter is the next option. I've found those adapters to be decently reliable.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:25 PM »
And if it's the "N" and it's *not* near the router, slap a second NIC in your computer, fire up network sharing, and use a cross-over cable.

In short, you have options. The adapter might be the simplest method, though.  ;)
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »
And if it's the "N" and it's *not* near the router, slap a second NIC in your computer, fire up network sharing, and use a cross-over cable.

Hmmm - hadn't considered that. Mulling it over, the two-NIC route would require the PC to be runnnig for sharing it'd seem. If yes, then go the one-NIC route and stick a low cost (5-port) switch by the PC and use that to get an extra Ethernet port for the printer (the PC would not need to be on).
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »
OK- I'm trying the IP route but Windows 7 keeps blocking me from hitting the IP address of the printer.  It won't allow java to run.  How do I change that freaking rule?
Let's do some science.

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
If java is installed on your PC and you get that message in a browser, it may be because you need to update your java. Check in the control panel if you see java.
If java is up to date, then you again, in the control panel double click java and enable it in web browsers. Check the security options.
If java is not installed on your PC, then forget about it and install the printer manually.
Run the MS printer installation wizard, add a local printer, select create a new port, Select Standard TCP/IP port, enter the printer's IP, then select the driver and finish. You should be good to print. You can share that printer from that PC or better yet install the printer locally on all PCs.
Ride safe!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Pat's on it.

Install the printer on LPT1 and then go back and edit the printer properties and add an "Standard TCP/IP Port*" and have it print to that IP address (you did set the printer as a static IP outside of the DHCP server's range, yes?? - at least set it at the high end of the DHCP range).

* You don't necessarily need to change any TCP/IP port settings. You could leave it as "Generic" though you could select one of the "HP" entries.

Java: 1 unless you KNOW you need it - UNINSTALL JAVA - as it's a security risk, 2 I don't understand why Java would be involved in the Win7 process for installing a printer (care to enlighten me?).

"Hitting the printer's IP address via PING
Start > cmd > Enter to open a terminal / DOS prompt
PING [ip address] > Enter to see if any "reply's come back"

ping 192.168.0.250 <enter>
Reply from 192.168.0.250 is generally what to anticipate
Reply from 192.168.0.250
Reply from 192.168.0.250
Reply from 192.168.0.250

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
Thanks guys.  It had a Jet Direct card- I just did what you said and it works perfectly.  Thanks again!  I usually know just enough to be dangerous...   :bigok:
Let's do some science.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
SWEET - Nice to hear it's work'n!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
eoe rocks
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
Now you can print off all your Brazilian Love Poetry.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
Java: 1 unless you KNOW you need it - UNINSTALL JAVA - as it's a security risk, 2 I don't understand why Java would be involved in the Win7 process for installing a printer (care to enlighten me?).

The HP LJ4050N is a pretty old printer. It came out in 2003, if I remember correctly. The HP installer might use Java. If you check out the specs, minimum requirements: Windows 3.1, Windows 9x and NT.

I totally agree, if you don't need Java, delete it.
Ride safe!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
Java is gone.  Thanks again!
Let's do some science.