Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who rode today?  (Read 286476 times)

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
Re: Who rode today?
« Reply #1850 on: September 09, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
I took a Ninjette on a test ride today.  http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6304.0

We went about 26 miles, and I test-fit her in my tiny new garage with both cars.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1851 on: September 15, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
Well, on Friday I took a Z400 for a test ride.  I liked its ride as much as the Ninja 400, but I think the Ninjette's wind protection is better at highway speeds.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1852 on: September 27, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
After buying my new Ninjette, I've been running errands and taking shorter rides with low rpms during her break-in period.  Yesterday we rode to a few places northwest of Milwaukee.  There's a Basilica at a place called Holy Hill with some scenic kinda-twisties, and we went from there to the north unit of Kettle Moraine Park which also has some scenic kinda-twisties.  This area will need further exploring after the Ninjette's training has been completed. 

Sorry for no pics, I thought about stopping for a few but decided to wait until leaf-peeping season for better results.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1853 on: September 28, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
Am I the only one still riding here? :o

The Ninjette is in basic training, so I puttered around the Milwaukee area this afternoon. I took a pic of the good riding area near the Basilica on Holy Hill northwest of town and puttered around there.  Then I headed south, and then to the Milwaukee lakefront, where I took a few more pics. The building that looks like a sailboat is the Milwaukee Art Museum. 

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1854 on: October 01, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »

My only riding time since I had kids is my commute.  Since my daughter attends the preschool where I teach, this is no longer on the table. :(
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1855 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:22 AM »

My only riding time since I had kids is my commute.  Since my daughter attends the preschool where I teach, this is no longer on the table. :(

Yep, kids do need your time and attention.  It'll probably get easier to find the time to ride as they get a bit older.  And if you ride, they will have a great opportunity to learn as well. 

Do you have plans to start your kids on dirtbikes?  The biking families I've met seem to start their kids that way. 

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1856 on: October 02, 2019, 06:42:31 AM »

Yep, kids do need your time and attention.  It'll probably get easier to find the time to ride as they get a bit older.  And if you ride, they will have a great opportunity to learn as well. 

Do you have plans to start your kids on dirtbikes?  The biking families I've met seem to start their kids that way.

I'd love to, but probably not, as there's no place that close to do that.  Sprout (9-yo boy) is starting to go mountain biking with Fourstring, though.

I'm ready to put Sprout on the back of my Ninja for short trips, but strangely, Fourstring is nervous about that. :shrug:
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #1857 on: October 02, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »
Rode home from work yesterday in a small storm.  The inside contents of the Versys factory bags stayed dry.  I hadn't moved the raingear from the Shadow's bags to the Versys yet.  I got wet. 

First ride in the rain (heavy at times) and I felt comfortable with the Versys, which was an improvement from my comfort level with the Shadow in the wet.  Maybe thanks to stickier sport-type tires?  I think it has a Michelin Pilot Power on the back and a Pilot Power 3 on the front. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #1858 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »
I did.  But not in R4.  Got to test Kermit's brakes today.  My bad.  Just a bad time to check the mirrors and wasn't watching 6 cars ahead before I did.  Looked back up and nothing but brake lights.  Good following distance and projected escape route kept it from being an emergency but it still required more than on finger braking so it got me back on task real quick. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1859 on: October 05, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »
Yesterday I brought the Ninjette's mileage above 600, and I booked the first servicing for Monday.  Then only 400 more miles of riding slow and gentle until the official break in period is over.   :chili:

I'm staring to doubt whether there'd be time for a real trip before winter sets in?  The days are getting very short, and Wisconsin seems to have a lot of suicidal deer. 

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1860 on: October 06, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Yeah, it's the rut now, which means the males are on the move and insane.  If you go out riding, do so in broad daylight.

I got my first ride in all year yesterday.  Fourstring needed the Clarity (the Jetta is on its way out) to schlep around the kids while I was at an outreach event at work.  My Ninja is still in hibernation, so I took his Versys to work.  Glee!

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1861 on: October 06, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
I got my first ride in all year yesterday.  Fourstring needed the Clarity (the Jetta is on its way out) to schlep around the kids while I was at an outreach event at work.  My Ninja is still in hibernation, so I took his Versys to work.  Glee!

Yea!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #1862 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:59 AM »
Wow, it's October!  :o
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1863 on: October 08, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
Yeah, it's the rut now, which means the males are on the move and insane.  If you go out riding, do so in broad daylight.

Can you expound on that glee a little please?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1864 on: October 08, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
The Ninjette had her initial 600 mile check-up yesterday morning.  All was well, so now I can finish out the 1000 mile basic training with higher revs.  She just passed 800 miles, including a trip through two of Milwaukee's spaghetti junctions this afternoon.  Hopefully, we'll be past the break in period before the weekend.  Then we'll be free to hoon around the continent!

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1865 on: October 09, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »

Can you expound on that glee a little please?

It’s interesting riding the Versys because the engine and transmission are nearly identical to my Ninja. It’s a little more refined (even Kwak makes improvements in 10 years). For instance, the Ninja absolutely hates 2nd gear. It chugs and complains whenever I’m in it, so I try to get into 3rd or 1st as soon as possible. This was not the case for the Versys. Fourstring sings the praises of the gear indicator but I didn’t need it. I knew by feel which gear I was in.

The big difference is the geometry. I don’t really fit the Versys. The bars are too wide for me and my triceps ached almost immediately upon starting the ride. I can’t explain it, but it was just all wrong. I’m tall enough that I could get the balls of my feet down on both sides, so that was a plus. Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t corner as well as the Ninja, but that’s to be expected as its CG is much higher. That led to a bit of a pucker moment as I turned in the school entrance. This is always tricky because  the north entrance to my school is a very narrow hairpin turn with tar snakes. It was extra fun trying to hustle the Versys around the corner.

All in all, it was a pleasant ride.

Oh, and Baxter, those exit ramps in Milwaukee are insane!

My Other Hobby

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1866 on: October 09, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »
I just spent some quality time with one at Romney Cycle. I'm wide so bars are perfect. Reach to geound...same as you. Balls of both or flat on one. Same as almost all other bikes. Smidge taller. Not at all intimidating. Exciting potential. Thanks.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1867 on: October 09, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
All in all, it’s a great bike. I would highly recommend it.

Also, the hard cases can hold a FF helmet, which is not the case for any of my Givis.

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1868 on: October 09, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
Less than 100 miles to go and the break in period will be over!  We rode in the farmland between Milwaukee and Madison today, and returned via downtown Milwaukee.

The wind finally got above 15mph today.  I had to actually think about it.  The Ninjette handled it well.  I'm still waiting for a windy day in Wisconsin for a true test.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #1869 on: October 09, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »
Less than 100 miles to go and the break in period will be over!  We rode in the farmland between Milwaukee and Madison today, and returned via downtown Milwaukee.

The wind finally got above 15mph today.  I had to actually think about it.  The Ninjette handled it well.  I'm still waiting for a windy day in Wisconsin for a true test.

You haven’t had one yet? Head west, my friend!

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1870 on: October 10, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »

You haven’t had one yet? Head west, my friend!

When I lived in North Dakota, I purposely rode when the wind was above 25 or 30 just to become proficient.  It helped to be familiar with it when traveling and getting caught in 30+ winds or storms.  Now, I'm worried about getting rusty.

And those Milwaukee exit ramps.  That's a new skill to master.  I think it helps that I've ridden on curvy mountain roads a few times.  Whoever designed Milwaukee's multiple spaghetti junctions tried to give too many options in the same space.  Woe to out of towners.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #1871 on: October 10, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
Another 100 commuting today- time for service again...
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1872 on: October 10, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »
About 120 miles today.  The Ninjette is through her basic training and ready for her first tour of duty!  The Kettle Moraine State Forrest North Unit is northwest of Milwaukee, between Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, and West Bend.  We headed there under partially cloudy skies and 65F, and about halfway through the ride it became drearily overcast and the temps dropped to 54.  But it was still fun! 

I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm finding a lot of good riding areas near Milwaukee.  I'd anticipated nothing but big city traffic for about an hour before getting to the fun stuff. But the north suburbs are surprisingly close to the countryside. Here's a few pics along less traveled roads, some fun routes had too much traffic to justify pulling to the side of the road.

Oh, and the heated grips work well.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:53:26 PM by Baxter »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1873 on: October 16, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
The winds were finally in the mid to upper twenties, so I could test how the Ninjette handles in the wind.  I didn't notice any significant difference in handling between the Ninjette and my Ninja 650R, even at open highway speeds both heading into the wind and with a crosswind.  Yea!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1874 on: October 20, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
I had about 2 hours to kill and the weather was nice, so I rode out to the Holy Hill area northwest of Milwaukee.  There was significant traffic, but not frustratingly so--lots of bikers and lots of leaf-peepers.  I did have to use my horn once for an inattentive leaf-peeper pulling out on me, and the leaf-peeper seemed to not notice the horn.  I'm wondering whether the leaf-peeper's seeming lack of notice was due to the stock horn not being very loud or that the leaf-peeper didn't register that the horn was intended for them.  If the former, an air horn may be the remedy.  If the latter, would an air horn have helped with this clueless wingnut of a driver?

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1875 on: November 03, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
After installing adjustable levers, and having already put fuel stabilizer in the tank and needing to work it through the injectors and engine, it was time to go for a ride.

At 42F and overcast, it was also time to zip the thermal liners in my winter gear, pull out the balaclava, and dig out the chin wind guard for my modular helmet. I never bother to remove the pinlock from my visor.  The heated grips were on 3 out of 5.  But the Ninjette and I enjoyed a nice 45 or so miles around Milwaukee's far north suburbs and a little highway riding.  Who knows, but this might be the nicest day until spring.

And I was happily surprised that my initial adjustment of the clutch cable on the new lever was just where it should be. 

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1876 on: November 16, 2019, 06:19:10 PM »
Two days above freezing melted the ice and I was able to go for a ride today.  Just a short ride to the highway for a blast and home.  But enough to find that the new slip on is an improvement.  Yea!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1877 on: November 20, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »
"Baxter." I heard my name faintly called, but I didn't know where from.

"Baxter!" It was Ms. Noire summoning me to the garage. So out I went.

"What's up?"

"You see the sunshine out the window, I bet it'll be nice out. We're going for a ride!"

"But," I tried to explain, "I have to fix a wobbly faucet handle."

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." Ninjette said crossly, "I'll turn green as a KRT and start smashing stuff--starting with that stupid cage you've been driving lately. We are going for a ride so just get into that snowsuit you call ATGATT and get back out here now!"

The likelihood of another day this nice seems to be dwindling, so it was most definitely time to go for a ride.

There had been a couple of days above freezing since the last icing in Milwaukee, so the upper 40s (f) seemed comparatively warm. We took a short spin around town before lunch and a longer ride in the countryside during the afternoon. All told, about 120 miles with the heated grips on 2 or 3 of five.

The wobbly faucet handle could wait until we were home.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1878 on: November 23, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
We got in a good highway blast around the Milwaukee metro.  It looks like the next several days will be above freezing enough to enjoy a ride.

Just for fun, I checked the weather in North Dakota. It's nicer than here.  I thought that moving south was going to bring a longer riding season?!?  (Yes, climate is different than weather.)

Stopped at a Cycle Gear--never been to a gear/accessory store that was separate from a dealership or an independent Harley-oriented shop before this.  I liked that there's a variety of stuff and they seemed to have my sizes in stock.  The manager was the only staff there, he was career Navy but grew up in an Air Force family.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1879 on: December 05, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
It's December and the temps got above 40F!  I took a short ride around the area, only about 45 to 50 miles.  But moving south to Milwaukee is really extending my riding season compared to North Dakota!