Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone that can Advise me on Northwest PA Roads?  (Read 680 times)

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
Anyone that can Advise me on Northwest PA Roads?
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
Planning our yearly NeXXT meet in Dubois, PA.

(Northeast [CBR1100]XX Tour, open to all XX's, friends of the XX, and those riders and passengers of other motorcycles that don't repeatedly make fun of the aging beast in public)

There are many roads that look sweet on the map, but I have no way to clearly discern whether many of them are dirt or paved.  Google maps can only show so much, and some are of course really obvious light brown if it was dry when the pictures were taken, or painted stripes.  Many of them run through forest so thick that the roadway is barely visible. 

So does anyone know of a source/guide or have spent time in the area and can advise?

Specifically, I'm looking at getting from Dubois PA westerkt out to route 666 and circling back eastward.  Route 145 from Marienville was one I was looking at.  Also, if anyone has been on 949 recently from Sigel to Ridgeway, is it open?

Last week we went north from Brockway and the road was closed.  I try to scout all these roads, but this is 200 miles from home, and its not much of a day trip.

Thanks for reading, more thanks if you can help. 

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Re: Anyone that can Advise me on Northwest PA Roads?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 02:08:00 PM »
I've love to help you, as I lived in that corner of the world for the first 25 years of my life. But those 25 years were not on a motorcycle - and a long, long time ago.  :gerg:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »
You've gotta put state route 666 on the list because, you know, it's route 666. But it's also a really nice, mellow ride mostly alongside a stream bed. Kinzua Dam State Park is also a good destination up there. It's almost a decade since I rode up there, though.
A man with no sig

Online ixxion

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Two years ago I was on 666 and it was lumpy, bumpy, and slow.  Now there's some construction on it (bridge replacement) so I'm hesitant to lead a group out there....as you know, its a long way around. 

Kinzua is actually where we are headed. 

FYI, anyone thinking about Rte 6 should now that tar and chipping is underway between Coudersport and Galeton.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
I used to ride up there a lot in the mid 2000s because Triumph had a "RAT Raid" in St Marys every year. Haven't been up there in a long time now, so I can't vouch for pavement quality. Other than Wyckoff Run, actual twisties are hard to find, so it's mostly scenic sweepers and even some straight bits.

Here's a rough loop (~315 miles) that would make a nice day ride as it has several places to stop and look at stuff including:
- 666 (stop for the photo op by a road sign, just because)
- Tidiute Overlook
- Kinzua Dam
- Longhouse Scenic Drive / Jakes Rock overlook
- Kinzua Railroad Bridge State Park (bridge taken out by tornado)
- Austin Dam disaster (dam collapsed, flooded town)
- Wyckoff Run Rd (out and back, best twisties in the area by far)
- Benezette Elk Viewing Area on 555

https://goo.gl/maps/7p2HDxjSB8n1js9B7
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 06:43:42 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online ixxion

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
Thanks for the route.  Very similar to what I had planned, except east of Kinzua including Wykoff was saved for another day...like this.

https://goo.gl/maps/1D6j4CvfLEyKsoBa6

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
Thanks for the route.  Very similar to what I had planned, except east of Kinzua including Wykoff was saved for another day...like this.

Might I suggest: Stay on 872 to Sweden Valley
( Stop at the Austin Dam site along the way.  )
then take 44 to 144.

Oops, got it backwards: At Cherry Springs, turn
North on 44 to Sweden Valley then South on 872
toward Austin. ( Don’t forget to stop at the dam,
it’s just North of town. )
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online ixxion

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:14:41 AM »
All good ideas, thank you.

Tar and chip between Coudersport and Galeton where Sweden Valley is.

44 and 144 are both in good shape from 6 south to 220 and 80 respectively.

Longhouse is a great little road, and you get to eat at Bob's Trading Post.  Get the roasted salt potatoes.  The fall festival at Kinzua bridge is NOT the weekend we are going, so that's good.  The lower entrance on route 6 is closed, only the east and west entrances are open.  In Mt Jewett, Kaffe Sol is a nice place to eat as well.

We went to Austin during our meet two years ago. Its a nice visit and they have some really good history there including personal information on the people who died as a result of the disaster.

The gravel road back to the dam remnants is where I picked up a rock and spent half an hour putting a plug in my tire, which blew out later that day anyway and put me into the armco guardrail north of Benezette.  Ahh, good times.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 06:40:10 AM »

That route looks similar to what I was planning to ride today, but it's 100 miles each way from home to the start of the loop.  I didn't wake up feeling like doing 12 hours on the bike. Perhaps a nice dual sport ride down to the Cheat River is in order.

Sounds like you are more than a little familiar with area. It makes for a nice weekend. We did lots of those roads on the Burger Run weekends as well. It's more a matter of finding the good pavement and avoid construction and tar/chip.

I suspect you already know about these (south of Clearfield), but 729 from Grampian down to Glen Hope (and even south of there) is nice. I'm also a fan of 453 but pavement is usually a mixed bag. 839 south of New Bethlehem has some twisty bits on the way to Dayton.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online ixxion

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Got it.  Here's the quickly loop I had planned just to have in the album.

https://goo.gl/maps/ChkmEksW629znayF8