Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Decent, solid PC laptop?  (Read 359 times)

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Decent, solid PC laptop?
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »
EOE:  To use as our Cloud Print server at school I need to purchase a solid, quality laptop.  It's not going to be doing anything special graphics-wise, it is simply going to be the machine that connects locally to our printers and then Cloud-shares them to the staff and students.  It will be plugged in via Cat 6.  It doesn't travel or even move, so other than taking up space a desktop would do the job.

What do you recommend?  Thanks!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Decent, solid PC laptop?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
Longevity, Dell. You can find something at every price point.

You still want a modicum of performance, and horsepower for dollar, either Lenovo (formerly IBM Thinkpads) or HP wins there. HP at the lower price points, Lenovo at the higher ones.

Stay away from names you don't know or aren't mainstream; you'll get the junk you pay for.

You can find EXCELLENT examples of 1-2 year (or generation) old versions of kick-ass models for fractions of new prices. If you just want a print server, I'd buy used, try to snag a Dell or Lenovo already equipped with an SSD because print serving is 99% about file access, and the rest is all network access. CPU load is pretty low.
this signature on hold pending review

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
Re: Decent, solid PC laptop?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
Absolutely not an EOPCs. I've had two work purchased Lenovo laptops over the past 10 years. Zero issues. Most of the time sitting on my desk at home. The current one is getting a bit sluggish, certainly attributable to lazy maintenance habits.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12