Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fitness tracking thingies  (Read 452 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Fitness tracking thingies
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
I'm getting curious after our niece looked at her wrist upon completing our little walk, and told us how far we traveled, how many calories she'd burned, avg heart rate, max heart rate, how many steps were taken, what the overall elevation gain and change were, and some other stuff.  Granted, she's got some super apple type thing which I have no interest in but it made me curious about the devices.  is there such a thing as a cheap but effective version of something like that?  I like the elevation thing given where I am but assume that GPS isn't part of cheap. 

What do you have?  What does it tell you?  How well does it work?  How much?

Thanks.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Re: Fitness tracking thingies
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy watch.  It does all that and the battery lasts 3-4 days.  Not cheap ($340 on amazon right now- I paid about 300), but it's pretty amazing if you're in to the tech.  It will do it all.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
Got a recent smartphone?  Apps are available for android and apple versions, some are even free. 

Screenshots from my iPhone XR.
--Tom

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »
Pretty much any Garmin wearable will do the basics. from 50-60 bucks up to 1000 plus.

GPS is just a chip...eg. is a 10 cent option these days

Offline radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
Bill,

If you're interested I have a Garmin Fenix 3HR that I bought used off of ebay.  It still works fine If you're interested drop me a PM.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
I just use Strava, but I don't hook myself up for heart rate, etc.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
I use Under Armors "Map My Run" app. (free version) I also used one of their fitness tracker apps.  Got a cheaper heart rate monitor. I like data.

Walk/run/bike/treadmill, etc.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
Got a recent smartphone?  Apps are available for android and apple versions, some are even free. 

Thanks Tom but I'm not tethered to my phone.  I especially don't have it when I'm in floppy exercise shorts.  I guess i should have specified wearable.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
Bill,

If you're interested I have a Garmin Fenix 3HR that I bought used off of ebay.  It still works fine If you're interested drop me a PM.

I am interested.  I did drop a PM.  I did buy it.  I love this place. 

Thanks, man. 

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
Pretty much any Garmin wearable will do the basics. from 50-60 bucks up to 1000 plus.

CB got me the Garmin Vivosport for my birthday last year and I love it. Syncs to MyFitnessPal and Strava. Holds a charge anywhere from 3-6 days, depending on how much I use the GPS to track a walk or hike. Told me that Mrs. Superslider and I walked 136,747 steps or 63.31 miles at Disney last September!
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »

CB got me the Garmin Vivosport for my birthday last year and I love it. Syncs to MyFitnessPal and Strava. Holds a charge anywhere from 3-6 days, depending on how much I use the GPS to track a walk or hike. Told me that Mrs. Superslider and I walked 136,747 steps or 63.31 miles at Disney last September!

How many days were you there?   :o

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »

Thanks Tom but I'm not tethered to my phone.  I especially don't have it when I'm in floppy exercise shorts.  I guess i should have specified wearable.

That's why I qualified it.  Didn't think you were a tech junkie.  ;)  I had a Fitbit Flex for a year and it was fine for what I wanted.  Since I carry my phone usually, it does ok for what I want when I work or travel.  On my days off, it sits on the end table collecting dust.
--Tom

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
As with the OBD2 dongles being pitched by auto insurance companies, these fitness trackers can and eventually will be used against people making insurance claims for health care when their trackers show they don't live an approved lifestyle.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
I bought the Garmin Fenix 3 HR from Radon and I'm having fun with it.  I probably won't use it to near it's potential and I'm not entirely certain of the accuracy of the data but it gives me points of reference and it sort of holds me accountable on some stupid level.  I like being able to view the map of where I've gone during an activity since that allows me to count the number of loops I've done on my circuit when my brain fails in a hyperventilating stupor and I forget what lap I'm on. 

I may or may not LOVE the star trek inspired watch face that Radon suggested.  NERDS!!!  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

While I'm ordinarily very opposed to this level of connectivity (because, you know, they can track you that way), this isn't really bothering me.  If you want to hack my Garmin acct and see my pulse and step count, go for it.  In my world, my data has been compromised so many times there should be nothing out there about me that isn't known.  N E WAY, I'm kinda loving it.  I need to find a way to turn off when it yells at me to move during the day when I'm actually supposed to be at my desk not moving but otherwise, it's all good.  I recommend getting one. 

Offline radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
I need to find a way to turn off when it yells at me to move during the day when I'm actually supposed to be at my desk not moving but otherwise, it's all good.  I recommend getting one.

In da app

Device->Device Settings->Notifications & Alerts .. Turn off Move alert

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
DC Rainmaker can tell you a lot   (too much?)   about these devices...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/garmin-fenix3hr-review.html

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 11:10:50 PM »
DC Rainmaker is the best product reviewer I've ever found. Seriously- the very best.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
I've been using the Levi method. If the Levi's are tight then I eat less and walk more.  If they are loose then it is time for the next size down. Repeat as needed.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »
I've been using the Levi method. If the Levi's are tight then I eat less and walk more.  If they are loose then it is time for the next size down. Repeat as needed.

Just never go the other way.

Just solved the obesity problem.   :twofinger:

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
I bought the Garmin Fenix 3 HR from Radon and I'm having fun with it.  I probably won't use it to near it's potential and I'm not entirely certain of the accuracy of the data but it gives me points of reference and it sort of holds me accountable on some stupid level.  I like being able to view the map of where I've gone during an activity since that allows me to count the number of loops I've done on my circuit when my brain fails in a hyperventilating stupor and I forget what lap I'm on. 

I may or may not LOVE the star trek inspired watch face that Radon suggested.  NERDS!!!  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

While I'm ordinarily very opposed to this level of connectivity (because, you know, they can track you that way), this isn't really bothering me.  If you want to hack my Garmin acct and see my pulse and step count, go for it.  In my world, my data has been compromised so many times there should be nothing out there about me that isn't known.  N E WAY, I'm kinda loving it.  I need to find a way to turn off when it yells at me to move during the day when I'm actually supposed to be at my desk not moving but otherwise, it's all good.  I recommend getting one.

WE SEE YOU HAD 3 COOKIES TUESDAY.  KNOCK IT OFF!