Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rides in September and October  (Read 1670 times)

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
Re: Rides in September and October
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2019, 05:06:01 PM »
Hey Jimmy? Howz things goin'?
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
Smoker arrived today

FYI, there is pipeline being placed on smoke hole near 28

Weather and roads are great!

Offline jimmy

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »
well, if you weren't there you missed it.  Great company, great roads, great weather!

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2019, 08:38:00 PM »
well, if you weren't there you missed it.  Great company, great roads, great weather!
:needpics:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »

How could I be there? You went silent about times and places.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »

That’s the spirit.     Grrrrrrr
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 04:59:58 AM »
I finished the damned deck and won’t get paid for it. You win Jimmy.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 06:43:39 AM »

I don't think it was Jimmy that went silent. There is no signal in the Senaca rocks area.
Glad you guys had a great time!

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »
Great weekend Jimmy. I had a blast.

Our accomodations:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I can't recommend this place, it was pretty awful.

Sunrise over the Rocks:

One super nice Canadian:

Taking a break at Confederate Breastworks:

That's all I took.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline jimmy

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »

Ya, I guess it turned out that way.  It's funny, I didn't think I was a heavy phone user, but with no service in so many areas of where I was riding, it became a bit of a pain.

What I'll probably do next time is post up where I'm staying, and how many days I'll be there.  That way folks would know, at least, where I'd be waking up in the am, and going to sleep in the pm.  That'd likely help when we're trying to put a meeting place together.

A little late, but I've gone back and edited post one to get into the swing of it.

8)

I'm just messin' with ya!  Hopefully I will get to meet you one day.  :thumbsup:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »
I was gonna recommend the new BBQ joint in Romney if ya got that far north for lunch but I figured you'd never see it.  Glad you had a good time. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline jimmy

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Day 1

Full day of travel.  During my border crossing, Homeland Security left his booth to go to the next one, then went to the next one, and finally came back with a pad of yellow papers.  Then he went to check out my  VFR in the bed of my truck. "Uh oh", I thought.

He simply asked me, "what year is your bike?"  I told him, and he wished me a good trip.

I rolled into Seneca Shadows after dark, cleaned up, and slept in the truck.

Day 2

Went to Yokums for breakfast, and to inquire about the possibility of an early check in.

During breakfast, the Yokums crew was having a "bitch and moan session" about the place.  I recognized the lady that prepared my breakfast as a particularly vocal participant, and asked her later if she was angry with me.  I explained I was concerned about the "quality" of my breakfast, and we shared a good laugh.

The check in process was interesting.  The gal I was speaking with explained that I could check in right away, but that Shane had been billed too much.  Another gal chimed in that "he had better go look at the place, he may not wanna stay".

Hmm, not very confidence inspiring.

After checking out my accommodations, I was comfortable enough with it's "rustic charm", but I had serious concerns about the water quality.  Sulfur water I've been around, but this H2O left an interesting stain behind on everything it touched.  We did not drink it.  A few days later one gal assured me that it was "city water", but this city-boy wanna-be country-boy knows she ain't right.

A ride into Parkersburg Petersburg for gas revealed my battery was toast.  I explained my situation to the lovely gals at the gas station / convenience store, and took the battery to the mechanic across the street.  He did a few tests, agreed with my conclusion, and suggested I try the Napa across the street for an in stock replacement.  I tried to pay, and he would not take my money.  This became a common theme.

The young man at the Napa tested the battery, agreed with the conclusion of myself and my new friend across the street, and checked his stock.  He found a close match, but it was slightly too high.

He suggested I call Tri County Honda, which is in town, about a mile and a half from where I was.  They had a battery!

I tried to give the Napa fella some money to "buy him some lunch" and he wouldn't take it.  I can only give him a handshake and my thanks.

I ask my newest friend at Tri County if Petersburg has  public transportation, or cabs, or Uber, and he says "hold on a minute".

He comes back on the line to tell me the Fed Ex guy is gonna do a delivery at the Radio Shack.  By now, I've been around the neighborhood enough to know the Radio Shack is right next door to where my bike is parked.

I give my friend at Tri County my CC info, and ten minutes later, the Fed Ex guy is handing me my battery.

I explain how grateful I am, and ask if I can "buy his lunch today?"  He won't take my money.

The rest of my riding was done with my headlights disconnected to lessen the load on the charging system.

Day 3

After breakfast and a run on 33 into VA, I hiked up to the top of Seneca Rocks.

It was an easy hike, with a choice at the top to go beyond the signs indicating "climbing gear is required beyond this point".

I explored the picnic area at the foot of Seneca Rocks, which used to be a settler family's homestead.  Interesting stuff.

Smoker pulled into town, and we had a good ole time late into the night. On one of the sports channels, we watched coverage of the "Professional Cornhole League".  I had no idea.

We wondered if the careers of these athletes would be at risk if they were ever able to kiss a girl.  8)

Day 4

What a great area for riding!  An embarrassment of opportunity, and we made the most of it.

During one part of our spirited ride, we came in behind a Jeep Cherokee.  I thought we would make short work of passing it, but that was not to be.  I actually laughed out loud in my helmet, and said aloud to myself, "who is this guy, Steve McQueen???"

Did you know there is a 700 HP Jeep Cherokee?  I didn't.

https://www.maxim.com/rides/jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-2017-4

Day 5

I bid Smoker farewell.  We both knew I still owed him some money on the accommodations.  Once again, someone wouldn't take my money.

I blasted around for a few hours, and while I had a great time, I was encountering some church traffic.  Sunday had the most traffic using the roads.

My drive home was long, but gave me time to think.

I'd like to provide the following Public Service Announcement.  Please scroll down to the video and play it.  Share it with people you know.  If you are pressed for time, fast forward to the 45 second mark, and view until about 1:03.  Thank you.

https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/general-talk/psa-opp-kerry-schmidt-left-lane-for-passing-t8797.html

When I arrived at the border, CBSA looked at the screen in front of him, and asked "what year is your bike?"  The he asked for the ownership, which I already had out, and checked the VIN numbers to ensure they matched.  Interesting.

I'm honestly surprised that hasn't happened to me more often.

All in all a great time.  Please enjoy the attached pics while I test my stator and R/R.  8)

Hope to see you at the next one!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
A ride into Parkersburg Petersburg for gas revealed my battery was toast.  I explained my situation to the lovely gals at the gas station / convenience store, and took the battery to the mechanic across the street.  He did a few tests, agreed with my conclusion, and suggested I try the Napa across the street for an in stock replacement.  I tried to pay, and he would not take my money.  This became a common theme.

The young man at the Napa tested the battery, agreed with the conclusion of myself and my new friend across the street, and checked his stock.  He found a close match, but it was slightly too high.

He suggested I call Tri County Honda, which is in town, about a mile and a half from where I was.  They had a battery!

I tried to give the Napa fella some money to "buy him some lunch" and he wouldn't take it.  I can only give him a handshake and my thanks.

I ask my newest friend at Tri County if Petersburg has  public transportation, or cabs, or Uber, and he says "hold on a minute".

He comes back on the line to tell me the Fed Ex guy is gonna do a delivery at the Radio Shack.  By now, I've been around the neighborhood enough to know the Radio Shack is right next door to where my bike is parked.

I give my friend at Tri County my CC info, and ten minutes later, the Fed Ex guy is handing me my battery.

I explain how grateful I am, and ask if I can "buy his lunch today?"  He won't take my money.

The rest of my riding was done with my headlights disconnected to lessen the load on the charging system.

I've become a real fan of Tri County in my time down there. Especially most recently when they hooked me up. Good place.

And if you'll pardon my adding to your thread, my buddy Will took some drone shots of Seneca. If you want full sized versions, let me know and we'll get them to you. They're full HD, not 4k.

He didn't want to get any closer and annoy the climbers that were up there, including the one guy who had at least one selfie drone covering the last bit of his ascent. He also didn't want to attract the attention of any rangers who might not like his buzzing about. We were standing down on the bridge at the park. These pics are from a DJI Spark, gen 2. Nice stuff.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline jimmy

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
That's some real purty country right there!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:57 PM »
What a great write Jimmy! Thanks for taking the time to post your trip and share with us.

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.